Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#169764 - 03/20/09 12:19 AM Re: Put off buying things long enough? [Re: wildman800]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
One of my crews recently bought a new car, after changing his mind about a used one. He sounds like a good horsetrader. He hemmed and hawed, and hesitated. His wife, prompted beforehand, did her bit, and they walked off the lot to 'think about it'.

The dealer called him at home as he walked in the door with a REALLY good deal.

These are becoming good days for good horsetraders. But check the teeth first.

Sue

#169770 - 03/20/09 01:21 AM Re: Put off buying things long enough? [Re: Susan]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: Susan

"A branch of the federal government called the Federal Reserve expanded credit,

The Federal Reserve is no more a branch of the government than Federal Express is.

Wikipedia is hardly the source to cite for anything even slightly political.

#169780 - 03/20/09 02:15 AM Re: Put off buying things long enough? [Re: MartinFocazio]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
The Federal Reserve is absolutely a branch of the federal government. What's that got to do with a survival forum?

#169782 - 03/20/09 02:42 AM Re: Put off buying things long enough? [Re: tomfaranda]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
The Federal Reserve
The Federal Reserve System is considered to be an independent central bank because its decisions do not have to be ratified by the President or anyone else in the executive branch of government. The System is, however,
subject to oversight by the U.S. Congress. The Federal Reserve must work within the framework of the overall objectives of economic and financial policy established by the government; therefore, the description of the System as “independent within the government” is more accurate.

Now back to the thread. I just spent a bunch on new equipment, and a new knife (a ANZA Knife ofcourse) smile

Edited by big_al (03/20/09 02:45 AM)

#169844 - 03/20/09 08:41 PM Re: Put off buying things long enough? [Re: tomfaranda]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
The Federal Reserve (the Fed) enjoys a unique public/private structure that operates within the government, but is still relatively independent of government to isolate the Fed from day-to-day political pressures in fulfilling its varying roles. As stated in The Federal Reserve System Purposes & Functions:

The Federal Reserve System is considered to be an independent central bank. It is so, however, only in the sense that its decisions do not have to be ratified by the President or anyone else in the executive branch of the government. The entire System is subject to oversight by the U.S. Congress….the Federal Reserve must work within the framework of the overall objectives of economic and financial policy established by the government.

#169851 - 03/20/09 10:32 PM Re: Put off buying things long enough? [Re: MartinFocazio]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
The Federal Reserve is the central bank of the U.S. Government. Like may other branches (parts) of the federal Government it's supposed to be "relatively independent" to shield it from political pressure. But relative independence is relative. The fact is fed policy bends and sways to political pressure.

That has been very evident this week - and completely unrelate to this forum.

#169951 - 03/22/09 10:29 AM Re: Put off buying things long enough? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
The entire System is subject to oversight by the U.S. Congress….

I'll be back to read the rest of your post right after I bury my life's savings in the back yard. smirk

#169952 - 03/22/09 10:41 AM Re: Put off buying things long enough? [Re: Tjin]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: PC2K
i have actually not changed mine behaviour at all. Mine education and job are aimed at the emergency services. They rarely try to save money on that. So job security is good.

Evidently, things are different in your country than in mine. All I ever hear about from friends/family still in Fire/EMS/LE is about "The Budget".

Seems like "The Budget" has taken on a life form of its own, and is as big an enemy as arson, terrorism and the like.

Enjoy the cash cow while your department can, but don't forget to feed it. Once that cow stops giving milk, you might see things you don't like.

The last 5 years my brother-in-law was with the FD, they ran 3 man shifts. Yeah, that was in a major suburb of a large metro area. Every call became a multi-alarm situation just to get enough equipment on scene to block traffic.

RIP OBG

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 174 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.