The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#169398 - 03/15/09 07:41 PM "Pandemic of Fear" -- Wall Street Journal column
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Peggy Noonan's most recent column in The Wall Street Journal provides an uptown take on the sense that many have of a gathering societal storm.

My first take was that her column is melodramatic. But she's right that after 6 months of economic panic, a lot of us are tired -- even those who are by most measures in good shape. A friend shocked me last fall when she said she'd pulled $10k cash out of the bank to have on-hand. I always have some around but nowhere near that much.

I wonder how many Wall Streeters are buying farms and seeking self-sufficiency?

http://online.wsj.com/article/declarations.html

...I asked a friend, a perceptive writer, if he is seeing what I'm seeing. Yes, he said, there is "a pervasive sense of anxiety, as though everyone feels they're on thin ice." He wonders if it's "maybe a sense that we've had it too easy in the years since 9/11 and that the bad guys are about to appear on the horizon."

...Gun sales continue up. "Smith & Wesson stands for protection." People are scared.

...They are taking cash out of the bank in preparation for a long-haul bad time. A friend in Florida told me the local bank was out of hundred-dollar bills on Wednesday because a man had come in the day before and withdrawn $90,000.

...when I asked a Wall Street titan what one should do to be safe in the future, he took me aback with the concreteness of his advice, and its bottom-line nature. Everyone should try to own a house, he said, no matter how big or small, but it has to have some land, on which you should learn how to grow things. He also recommended gold coins, such as American Eagles.

...In Manhattan, Catholic church attendance appears to be up.

...We are actors in a moment of history, taking part in it, moving it this way or that as we move forward or back. The moment we are living now is a strange one, a disquieting one, a time that seems full of endings.

#169448 - 03/16/09 05:24 AM Re: "Pandemic of Fear" -- Wall Street Journal column [Re: ]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

If you think a post is political, it usually is.

#169456 - 03/16/09 11:15 AM Re: "Pandemic of Fear" -- Wall Street Journal column [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Thin ice. Well said.

Though I'm a pretty cautious person I don't think I'm an alarmist. But I've got a few hints lately that the situation might be a lot more dangerous than it seems. I know a few people high up in the financial world who've lost all faith in the banking system (the very system they developed themselves). It's not encouraging to see people withdrawing huge sums and keeping a big stack of cash just in case.

#169457 - 03/16/09 12:28 PM Re: "Pandemic of Fear" -- Wall Street Journal column [Re: Tom_L]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

"...the National Gardening Association predicts a 19 percent increase in home gardening in 2009"

Dollars from dirt: Economy spurs home garden boom

http://www.comcast.net/articles/finance/20090316/Recession.Gardening/

Gardening advocates, who have long struggled to get America grubby, have dubbed the newly planted tracts "recession gardens" and hope to shape the interest into a movement similar to the victory gardens of World War II.

Those gardens, modeled after a White House patch planted by Eleanor Roosevelt in 1943, were intended to inspire self-sufficiency, and at their peak supplied 40 percent of the nation's fresh produce, said Roger Doiron, founding director of Kitchen Gardeners International.

But for many Americans, the appeal of backyard gardening isn't in its history — it's in the savings.

The National Gardening Association estimates that a well-maintained vegetable garden yields a $500 average return per year. A study by Burpee Seeds claims that $50 spent on gardening supplies can multiply into $1,250 worth of produce annually.

#169458 - 03/16/09 12:35 PM Re: "Pandemic of Fear" -- Wall Street Journal column [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

If Neiman Marcus starts selling bug-out bags and the Wall Streeters drive Cabela's stock up, then it would be a full-fledged phenomenon.

The Wall Street Journal reader comment section had a mixed reaction to Noonan's column.

#169463 - 03/16/09 01:12 PM Re: "Pandemic of Fear" -- Wall Street Journal column [Re: Dagny]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Political or not (I lean toward not. This is economic), this is currently the greatest threat lurking out there. This is one reason we prepare. I am not doing anything different, just keeping up my supplies and keeping my eyes open.

Edited by el_diabl0 (03/16/09 01:13 PM)

#169471 - 03/16/09 03:11 PM Re: "Pandemic of Fear" -- Wall Street Journal column [Re: el_diabl0]
Wheels Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Central Virginia
My brother-in-law is a "retired" financial advisor who has done very well for himself (incredibly well connected on national and international levels). Last August he took all of his money out of stocks and invested in very boring and safe places. Most of his financial buddies thought he was nuts and told him so. He just smiled. He is currently still smiling and biding his time - not worried in the least. He has confidence in the mid-term future. I know nothing about the markets but there are some smart people who are just waiting this out ... knowing that the global economy will recover and, if they time it right, they'll make a lotta money. In a weird way that kinda gives me hope.

That said, I've stocked up some and I'm more ready for anything now than I would normally be - no sense in being stupid about it.

#169477 - 03/16/09 03:54 PM Re: "Pandemic of Fear" -- Wall Street Journal column [Re: Dagny]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Folks shouldn't be spending what little cash they have left on anti-depressants and but instead on items such as shown below;

Transport

Transport

Cooking and Heating

Electrical Power

Gardening Tools

Clothing manufacture

Dig for Victory!

But somehow I think the transition for the urban haute bourgeois to a bohemian lifestyle will be more tricky physcologically for these folks than just getting the cheque book out.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (03/16/09 04:40 PM)

#169544 - 03/17/09 06:53 AM Re: "Pandemic of Fear" -- Wall Street Journal column [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Under some conditions, I could see seeds being worth more than bullets or money. Not necessarily in the case of a total meltdown of society, with stormtroopers or armed hordes sweeping through the countryside like locusts, but somewhere around the point where there are more people at home than at work, where there aren't too many cars on the freeway, when the malls are resembling ghost towns, the mail is only coming once a week or so, and when people are going to bed at dark because the power has been turned off, etc.

Not an apocalypse, not TEOTWAWKI, just hard times, with many things not being as available as they once were.

Giving (or trading) something as small and simple as a dozen squash seeds sealed in an old envelope could help to avert a crisis, give hope, and maybe even make a friend who would watch your back or give you help or useful information.

Three seed sources that I like dealing with:
* Bountiful Gardens -- open-pollinated, heirloom, untreated, some unusual stuff like old-time grains and hull-less oats, good prices.
* Territorial Seed -- wide variety of open-pollinated and hybrid (both clearly marked), some organic, good planting/harvesting info, full descriptions, somewhat higher prices than Bountiful, but they do grow 25% of their own seed, which is practically unheard-of.
* Pinetree Garden -- good selection, many heirloom varieties, all hybrids are clearly marked, good herb selection, good list of quality books and home gardening paraphernalia, low seed prices.

Open-pollinated, non-hybrid seeds. The REAL mark of civilization.

Sue

#169573 - 03/17/09 05:15 PM Re: "Pandemic of Fear" -- Wall Street Journal column [Re: Dagny]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
> I wonder how many Wall Streeters are buying farms and seeking self-sufficiency?

None. Zero. Zip. They're all still at work making money and getting bonuses. They know all the 'end of the world' paranoia is just paranoia, and they're exploiting it to short-sell their way to their next billion bucks. They're exploiting Peggy Noonan, just like they exploited Jim Cramer.

We'll have a financially rough time just like we do every 20 or 30 years, then things will pick right back up with some differences, just like they do every 20 or 30 years.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Eugene), 241 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.