Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#169515 - 03/16/09 09:35 PM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: Meadowlark]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
If you stock a spool (bobbin) of light fishline (10 pound mono, 20 pound spectra braid, kevlar thread, etc) in your kit generally, then a kit can be as small as a pistol cartridge. I sold a few of these a few years back:

And have them scattered in my kits where I don't have anything bigger. Heck, a spool of braided, waxed fishline would work for line in a pinch.

As for the uses, get creative. YOu can catch fish, everyone knows that. Most of us know about hooking birds and small mammals. How about as anchors? Several years ago, I hung white board on my door, but rather than drilling holes in the door, I ran some cord over the top of the door, back down the other side, and some small fish hooks into the underside of the door to anchor it. *shrugs* looked odd, but it worked pretty well.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#169531 - 03/17/09 03:05 AM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: ]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
These posts have some outstanding info. I prepare myself for the desert so finding water is reward enough in itself but I'm considering adding a fishing kit after reading this series of posts.

I used to fly fish quite a bit and one thing I would add is that if you find yourself fishing in a survival situation on a smaller stream or in slower water on a river, stealth is critical. Fish have excellent hearing. To that end, the advantage of a simple rod or stick just to get the bait or lure over some part of the stream even just 6 feet away from where you are stepping can't be over-rated.

Also, don't think of just worms or grubs as possible bait. Any twitching critter you can catch from flies, grasshoppers to spiders and lizards look great to a fish from below.

I also prefer barbless hooks. Back in the day, there were some studies done that found they actually penetrated better than barbed hooks. I don't know if that has become accepted wisdom but I really like them because I always seem to hook myself or my clothes and barbless hooks make that much less of a problem.

That reminds me.... The one piece of fishing equipment I haven't seen mentioned (and would make a kit fairly large but not much heavier) that I like to have are hemostats for hook removal. A pair of pliers on a multitool would work but with all that water and fish slime, I'd probably drop them in the water.

#169548 - 03/17/09 10:55 AM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: Yuccahead]
Johno Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
Swivels are a must for me, especially important for leaving unattended lines set up. Fish takes bait, fish twists like feck to get the hook out, line kinks and makes a weak spot and the fish breaks the line and gets away.

My personal preference only.

#169549 - 03/17/09 11:25 AM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: drahthaar]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: drahthaar
All you need for a fishing survival kit is 2 small hooks and a two larger hooks, 20 yards of line and a couple of lead sinkers.

People put a lot of frivolous stuff in their kits like swivels and bobbers and so forth. The only time you will ever needs swivels is a) if you're fishing with a spinner or spoon that tends to twist your line during retrieves or b) to quickly switch lures when you are fishing and you're not going to be doing that when survival fishing.

And, by "swivels" I mean swivels with quick release snaps attached. Generic swivels are even more useless.

Sorry, but must respectfully disagree. Only 4 hooks, some line, and some sinkers? Mind you, that is a "bare bones" kit... Hooks are small and the weight is so minimal, so carry a decent amount... The more hooks, the more you can set out at once, increasing the likelyhood of catching a fish. Ditto on the split shot.

Swivels are very useful, as someone else posted, as a way to keep a fish from stressing a line, esp. if left unattended.

How do you feel about large gaff hooks?

#169552 - 03/17/09 01:14 PM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: Yuccahead]
Andrew_S Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Yuccahead
I also prefer barbless hooks. Back in the day, there were some studies done that found they actually penetrated better than barbed hooks....

There was some speculation a few years back that barbless hooks would actually penetrate better, but I don't think it was backed by any solid evidence. There are really too many variables when it comes to a real live fish on a real live hook. Most people don't fish with optimally sharp hooks, anyway -- very few people ever sharpen a hook.

What's certain is that barbless won't hold as well, except on very small hooks (i.e. #18 or smaller) where the barb is more or less irrelevant. Barbless hooks will hold a fish if you keep constant pressure, but not if you relax that pressure. That makes them unsuitable for any kind of set line, which in a survival situation is generally your best method of fishing.

I do use them for all my normal fishing, though, as they're easier to remove from my own anatomy....

#169553 - 03/17/09 01:56 PM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: Mike_H]
Johno Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
Depends on what you mean by large, I've got a 2/0 O-Shaughnessy in my fishing kit on top of the other bits and pieces. Some folks may call that excessive. Mind you my hook collection goes up to 8/0.

#169588 - 03/17/09 08:07 PM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: Johno]
DannyL Offline

Loc: SE Alaska
We have several fishing kits we bought from Best Glide, they're pretty good except they come with mono line, not braided. that's my only complaint.

#169602 - 03/17/09 10:19 PM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: Johno]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I like swivels becuase a hook always fits on them, but not always on "whatever line". The loop on the swivel is much more forgiving.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#169603 - 03/17/09 10:42 PM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: ironraven]
DannyL Offline

oh, btw, and don't laugh, but a spool of dental floss comes in handy for line.

#169606 - 03/17/09 11:10 PM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: ]
DannyL Offline

izzy, just to let you know, I'm ordering 6 of those kits you showed above.

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.