The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#169412 - 03/15/09 10:18 PM Questions From a Non-Fisherman
Meadowlark Offline

Loc: Northern Colorado
Hello all --

In many kit lists, people seem to dutifully put down fishing hooks and gear as a matter of course. Because if this, I'm tempted to purchase some hooks/lures to add to my BOB "just in case", but then wonder if it would be just added weight because A) I'm mostly in suburbia, miles from any bodies of water, and B) I've not much fishing experience and don't have a current license.

I always like to think I'd be able to catch some minnows via the "T-shirt on a forked branch" technique, or with the
"cut in half/reversed soda bottle" method, etc, but perhaps I'm selling myself short by not adding a couple of hooks/lures and acquiring some updated skills.

Any thoughts from the experienced fisher-folk out there?

Edited by Meadowlark (03/15/09 10:20 PM)
My knapsack on my back

Current kits: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=241840

#169428 - 03/16/09 12:56 AM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: ]
Meadowlark Offline

Loc: Northern Colorado

Excellent and informative blog, IzzyJG99. I'll be sure to go over it a little more when I have time.

So here are some dumb newbie questions related to the above kit:

1) What is the razor knife for? (in case you don't have an EDC knife?)

2) What are the safety pins for?

3) Does one just affix the braided line to a green tree branch, one's hand, or....?

Thanks again,

M

My knapsack on my back

Current kits: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=241840

#169429 - 03/16/09 01:02 AM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: Meadowlark]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i would have some sort of fishing gear on the idea that something is better that nothing in a survival sitution..
and you not going to be doing any hard core fishing,working the break line and all that,you just want to get a bait of some sort where a fish might find it and not waste time and energy searching for "hot spots"..a big hook tied to a pole or a sharp stick to spear a carp would be better than trying real fishing--anyway thats my take on the subject..

#169433 - 03/16/09 02:08 AM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: ]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
Does anyone know of any situations where having a fishing kit was the difference between life and death? Or even made life more comfortable while waiting for rescue?

Stories of people on life rafts/in lifeboats don't count!

#169437 - 03/16/09 02:56 AM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Considering the weight and space required to include a small fishing kit, I say "why not".

Either you get lucky and catch something to eat, or you at least have something to do.

RIP OBG

#169441 - 03/16/09 03:37 AM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: Desperado]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I agree with Desperado.

Fishing line is a very "multi-use" item, handy to have even if you do not use it for fishing (e.g. cordage/thread).

Hooks are very small and light, use them (and cotton tinder) to fill-in the voids in your kit.

A fishing kit can also be used to catch birds and maybe even small mammals, although it is not humane and usually very illegal.

Mike

#169443 - 03/16/09 04:35 AM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: ]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I am also a non-fisherperson.

What are the actual uses of the treble hooks and the single hooks? Does it depend on the kind or the size of the fish that are in the vicinity, or what?

Sue

#169447 - 03/16/09 05:06 AM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: Susan]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

Sue..treble hooks are sold as a "sure fire" fish getter for big fish--i cut one of them off my Pike lures as too much of a hassle in sport fishing but for survival you want to snag anything you can get.for most inland small hooks are very effective.--fish are not a very good survival food as they are low in fat.only the Whitefish has enought to get along on. a good story on that is "lure of the Labadore wild".they got hundreds of trout and still starved--1904--

#169460 - 03/16/09 12:55 PM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: ]
Andrew_S Offline
Journeyman

Me, I think including a fishing kit is a no-brainer -- it takes up hardly any weight or space and it's an effective food getter. Sure, you're not going to starve to death, but food will make you feel better about not starving to death.

Modern braided lines are very strong for their diameter and have good abrasion resistance. They're the obvious choice for a survival kit, as you can use them for many other things. Add some small hooks (less than 1/2 inch shank) and a bunch of split shot, and you're about set. I also add a few nymphs (wet flies imitating insect larvae), in case I can't find bait.

The most important skill the non-fisherman needs to learn is knots. You can't use just any old knot -- it'll slip, and then your fish is gone, along with a valuable hook. Google up instructions for tying a palomar knot. This is one of the easiest fishing knots going, and it's also one of the strongest.

#169462 - 03/16/09 01:10 PM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: Andrew_S]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Great post Andrew! That's right along my line of thinking.

I'm not quite sure why people put swivels and safety pins in a fishing kit when they could just load it up with hooks.

My own random thoughts:

The basic NEEDS are:
line
hooks
split shot weights (to pull live bait down)
small bobbers might help
skill to tie hook to line

You'll need multiple hooks, weights, and bobbers since odds are that you'll get line caught up on weeds/brush and loose them.

All the other stuff is extra, though I'd buy the bring along a few nymphs suggestion.

Keep in mind that you're most likely to catch small panfish or similar - not largemouth bass. They are just as tasty and filling as big fish.

The other bit of information that is usefull is that fish feed best at sunrise & sunset, AND just like most other critters, fish tend to like edges and cover - darting out from the cover to grab food. Catfish, bullhead, & carp feed off the bottom, so instead of using a bobber you can try allowing the bait to float up from the weight that is resting on the bottom. Be careful of the catfish pectoral fins - they are sharp and leave nasty puncture wounds. You can often carefully use them to help hold the fish.

If you've never cleaned a fish before, its pretty simple:

1. Scrape off the scales - kind of like you'd shave - going against the grain of the scales.

Catfish & bullheads are usually skined - this is pretty tough without pliers

2. Cut off the head just behind the gills.

3. Cut down the belly to the back of the body cavity.

4. I always snip off the anus, as I prefer not to be eating that.

5. Rinse it all off in water and cook until meat is flakey. Be REAL careful not to swallow bones!!!!!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 292 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.