Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#169295 - 03/13/09 07:40 PM Re: Need to check my stuff more regularly. [Re: Arney]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Sounds reasonable to me.

Pete

#169298 - 03/13/09 08:09 PM Re: Need to check my stuff more regularly. [Re: paramedicpete]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
Sounds reasonable to me.

Call me paranoid but after all that thinking about concrete floors and what it might do to plastics, it makes me want to park my car up off the floor of our garage now to keep the tires off it! wink

#169300 - 03/13/09 08:33 PM Re: Need to check my stuff more regularly. [Re: Arney]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
The containers that I owned all failed at the edge of a molded X in the side of the container a few inches (maybe a little less, it's been a little while) off the floor. The portion of the container next to the floor, including a seam, were in tact.

Edited by 7point82 (03/13/09 08:35 PM)
Edit Reason: clarification

#169305 - 03/13/09 08:51 PM Re: Need to check my stuff more regularly. [Re: paramedicpete]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

No, I never heard of this before now.

I was doing a bit more Googling and I ran across this. Just for reference, here's an example of a warning to keep your stored water containers off the concrete. Scroll down a bit to the "A few tips" section.

Actually, the guy also makes the point that "the concrete weakens the plastic" so it's probably something going from the concrete to the plastic, and not the concrete absorbing something from the plastic.

#169308 - 03/13/09 09:38 PM Re: Need to check my stuff more regularly. [Re: paramedicpete]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

...I would think that after some time/curing the leaching would not be an issue.

Actually, another interesting factoid I ran across while doing some reading--apparently concrete does not truly finish curing for a loooooong time. The concrete in the Hoover dam is still curing on the inside (I remember hearing that on an episode of Modern Marvels or some show like that on the History Channel). There are very old concrete structures that are still curing. One benefit of this slow curing is concrete's ability to slowly self-seal small cracks over time, which wouldn't be possible if concrete were totally hardened and static.

Obviously, in applications where you absolutely want the concrete cured all the way through, I'm sure that there are formulations or methods that allow that.

#169310 - 03/13/09 11:23 PM Re: Need to check my stuff more regularly. [Re: 7point82]
Lon Offline

Loc: middle Tennessee
I think the Reliance containers I have are different from the ones you had problems with. Mine are blue, and shaped more like a "block" or cube; not a "Jerry Can style" shape.
I think I originally ordered them somewhere else; but here's a picture of the them at Aqua Pak at Amazon.com

I too had read somewhere about not placing them directly on a concrete floor; so, it put down a piece of plywood, covered that with a piece of plastic, and then placed the Aqua Pak on that.
So far, no issues with leaks or container failure.

#169312 - 03/13/09 11:44 PM Re: Need to check my stuff more regularly. [Re: Dan_McI]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
> One of the 2.5 gallon containers of water was nearly empty when it was pulled out.

You're lucky. Louise and I buy those for safe water after and earthquake, and we keep them in the garage. We use them at Burning Man every year, then buy another set. Those containers fail on a regular basis. We have at least one fail every other year (out of 10 or 12), and they leak all over the garage floor. We have another one leak in the van every few years, wetting whatever's around it. Really aggravating getting to the campsite and finding something was soaked on the drive there.

The packaging is made well enough to get it to the store and on to the shelf, but that's about it. We store them with the spigots up, because that's where most failures are, but they'll develop cracks just about anywhere there's a crease in plastic.

#169321 - 03/14/09 02:33 AM Re: Need to check my stuff more regularly. [Re: philip]
nurit Offline

Loc: NYC
I'd like to suggest something more costly, but perhaps more cost-effective in the long run.

What I use for water storage is the Scepter GI Runt (2.5 gallons). These things are very heavy-duty plastic and intended for military, expeditions and such like. No spigot. Large pouring spout with a smaller one built into it.

I have six of them, all still in fine shape after three years.

Scepter also makes a 5 gallon version, same design.

I found them at brigadequartermasters.com.

Not affiliated ...

#169346 - 03/14/09 10:36 PM Re: Need to check my stuff more regularly. [Re: nurit]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
$23 apiece, and we buy ten to twelve 2.5 gallon packs of water a year, so we'd start off with a couple of hundred bucks invested to fill from our tap.

I have to say the price gives me pause.

#169432 - 03/16/09 01:36 AM Re: Need to check my stuff more regularly. [Re: philip]
nurit Offline

Loc: NYC
Philip, I agree, the price gave me pause too. And at that time the Runts cost less, about $19 apiece. I researched alternatives and weighed the decision for weeks.

In the end I felt these would be worth the expense because (1) I'd have peace of mind and (2) they seemed likely to last many years, which would save me the cost of periodic replacement.

Another consideration (that may not apply to your situation) is that in my apartment space is tight and water has to be stored near clothing, shoes, books and files. For that reason I want the least possible risk of the containers developing leaks.

As always, YMMV.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 367 Guests and 47 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.