The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#169424 - 03/16/09 12:27 AM Re: Compact hammock [Re: TheSock]
elgecko Offline
Stranger

Loc: SE PA
I have not used my Hennessy Hammock yet, but this is the hammock I got after doing some research on them.

BigToe,
Thanks for the link on the underquilt. Not sure I would need it, but if I ever do some colder camping I'll have the link.

#169455 - 03/16/09 11:09 AM Re: Compact hammock [Re: elgecko]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Quote:
How does adding a hammock to the weight help him go ultralight?

I'm not an orthodox ultralight hiker, I've just been experimenting a little streamlining all my gear down to bare essentials.

The idea behind getting a hammock is that I could make a much simpler shelter in the warm months (no need to build a lean-to). I might be able to get away with a lighter sleeping bag and no pad. If I don't have to build a shelter I might even feel confident enough to leave the axe behind. So I could definitely save some weight and more importantly, reduce the time and effort needed to prepare the camp site.

#169472 - 03/16/09 03:16 PM Re: Compact hammock [Re: BigToe]
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
I've been tempted to get a Hennessy for years and insulation has always been a concern as I tend to sleep on the cold side. Which model quilt do you use? Also, do you use a pad? I have a Big Agnus inflatable insulated pad (mummy) I would consider using that even if I didn't inflate it. I would definately use it inflated if I would have to set up on the ground using my trekking poles (turns the hammock int a bivvy of sorts).

#169475 - 03/16/09 03:34 PM Re: Compact hammock [Re: billvann]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I have heard good things about Hennessy. I think really (and this is just MHO) but Hennessy and Eagle Nest seem to be the industry leaders.

I think its sort of a Coke/Pepsi issue. Both have pretty strong packages for people to chose from.

#169479 - 03/16/09 04:04 PM Re: Compact hammock [Re: comms]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
HH makes an under pad for theirs. I have used it, but never in the colder months. The warmer months arent an issue. I plan on trying out just a normal CCF pad this spring, and see how comfy it is.
As for the HH itself; this is a great product. A lot of people get these, then move on to other hammocks, mostly made by small manufacturers. But, with an HH, you can NOT go wrong. I also have a DD hammock, which is used soley in my jeep; its not near as comfortable, and I cannot seem to sleep flat on it. But, in a pinch, it beat sleeping on the ground. The HH however I sleep flat in, no need for a pillow even. The tarp it came with originally has been replaced, and I had some modifications done to it (mainly, had a zipper installed on one side, to make it a side entry system), but, these are asthetics only. I never had an issue with rain with the original fly; I just liked having additional room to cook, and to keep gear dry.

#169546 - 03/17/09 09:09 AM Re: Compact hammock [Re: oldsoldier]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
Tom_L wrote:

>The idea behind getting a hammock is that I could make a much >simpler shelter in the warm months (no need to build a lean->to). I might be able to get away with a lighter sleeping bag >and no pad.

So a hammock is warmer than sleeping on the ground?

The Sock

#169559 - 03/17/09 03:21 PM Re: Compact hammock [Re: TheSock]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Warmer....I am not sure, Sock. I think the combination of a pad, sleeping bag and tent would provide more warmth than a hammock like my Eagle Nest Outfitter (ENO) just strung between two trees. The colder air would flow under you. I have slept in my ENO in a 40* bag, no pad under in 40* temps and been okay, while everyone else slept in a tent.

There are some draw backs to hammocks, namely finding to 'poles' to connect it too. I have got many a laugh from my friends on road trips trying to find a place to string my ENO up.

I carry both a thin 3/4 pad and my ENO. If I can't string it up, I am not stuck sleeping on the ground without some padding.

While I really like my ENO hammock I am a side sleeper. So occasionally its really hard for me to be comfortable and fall asleep on my back.

#169601 - 03/17/09 09:49 PM Re: Compact hammock [Re: comms]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Hammocks themselves certainly arent warmer, per se, than a tent, at first glance. It comes down to the insulation underneath you-without some form of insulation, wind steals your heat. There ARE solutions to this; underblankets, proprietary solutions (such as the HH pad), or you can use a regular pad inside it (I have heard mixed results on this, but have no first hand experience yet). Also, its easier to use a quilt, blanket, or open a sleeping bag fully, in a hammock, than it is to squirm into a sleeping bag.

#169616 - 03/18/09 12:36 AM Re: Compact hammock [Re: oldsoldier]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

I want one of these: HERE

#169621 - 03/18/09 01:39 AM Re: Compact hammock [Re: ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
I promise you this, If it gets cool at night, you will know about it faster in a hammock than in a tent.

360 deg. insulation is a must, or one will awaken to cold biscuits in the morning.

RIP OBG

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.