Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#169358 - 03/15/09 11:31 AM Compact hammock
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Getting back from a nice trek in the hills I've been thinking about trying to do some more "ultralight" hiking now that it's getting warmer.

My usual setup when sleeping outdoors is my sleeping bag (w/ extra liner if the temperature is below freezing), closed-cell foam pad plus tarp or poncho to make a shelter. For quite a while I've been thinking about getting a hammock, though. It should be light, as compact as possible and strong enough to carry my weight (but I'm a pretty lean guy at 185lbs so that's not a major concern I suppose). Lately, I've done a little research and looks like I can get two types of compact hammocks. One is just the basic nylon net and the other is canvas.

The net-type hammock seems stronger to me an very foolproof. However, I've seen some of the canvas-type hammocks are made with two layers of fabric so you can put a sleeping pad or some other insulation inside. I suppose that would make it warmer and more comfortable but I have never tried it myself.

Does anyone here use a hammock regularly outdoors? Right now I'm pretty much undecided which one to pick (if at all) so I'd appreciate your tips and comments!

#169359 - 03/15/09 11:54 AM Re: Compact hammock [Re: Tom_L]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I have used hammocks for decades (literally) when in warm and tropical environments. I have had several types. There are some military nylon ones, some with integral mosquito nets, but they tend to be on the large side when you are talking about packing size. My favorite is one my kids gave me one birthday by Eagle's Nest Outfitters. It is a modular system, packs small and is very easy to set up. Here is the link to their site:

http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/

I have used this one and I love it. I have the mosquito net and tarp as well. It is easy to set up with the straps. It tends to be a bit pricey though.

There are some very small, net type hammocks I have used; and they can double as a fishing net if needed. I have not seen them for a number of years and do not know a source for them. The work, but are not as comfortable. If you are sleeping in your clothes, your buttons tend to hang up in the netting.

#169361 - 03/15/09 12:43 PM Re: Compact hammock [Re: gonewiththewind]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

i have tried a few hammocks. Don't use the net models, thing will catch on the net, which is annoying and a great way to loose or damage things.

I also dislike the models which are made of a large piece of fabric, but ends on both ends with strings and a big knot. The strings get tangled up, creating a mess.

Not sure which brand or model i have right now, but it's made of a single piece of nylon fabric, with mosquito netting. The smooth fabric prevents things from catching and there are no strings to mess up. Just the rigging lines.

Never tried a double layered hammock. But i have always find it a challenge to get mine sleepingpad just right...

#169366 - 03/15/09 02:45 PM Re: Compact hammock [Re: Tom_L]
kmat Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Spring, Texas
Tom L,
I have used a couple of different models and have found them to be much more comfortable than the ground. Go to hammmockforums.net and you will find any info on hammocks you will ever need. There are some very helpful members with alot more experience than I that can suggest several choices to pick from. Most UL hikers use a silicone coated ripstop nylon fabric. These are so much lighter than canvas or rope hammocks. I use a double layered fabric and place a closed cell foam pad between them to get more warmth as it reflects heat back to your body. Hope this will help you some.
kmat

#169371 - 03/15/09 03:39 PM Re: Compact hammock [Re: kmat]
BigToe Offline
Journeyman

I have a Hennessy Hammock that I've used for years on annual two week section hikes of the AT. Very comfortable, which is why I looked into them. Hammocks sleep cold without the insulation of the ground so you should look into a underquilt. I use an underquilt and overquilt from JRB <http://www.jacksrbetter.com/> - look at their web site and you'll understand. kmat is right, the hammockforums.net web site is a great source for info. Happy hanging!

#169372 - 03/15/09 03:42 PM Re: Compact hammock [Re: kmat]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
You might try The sportsmen guide, the have a sale on and have several hammocks on sale. I plan on getting the nylon one for $14.97 by the way you get two at that price, they also have a lot of other gear you might like, and at a price that won't empty your pockets.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=520868

And if you are looking for a good tarp, try this
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=517170

Edited by big_al (03/15/09 03:46 PM)

#169374 - 03/15/09 03:56 PM Re: Compact hammock [Re: big_al]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Hey everyone, thanks for the great feedback! Should be a lot easier getting a decent hammock now.

#169376 - 03/15/09 04:02 PM Re: Compact hammock [Re: gonewiththewind]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Montanero
I have used hammocks for decades (literally) when in warm and tropical environments. I have had several types. There are some military nylon ones, some with integral mosquito nets, but they tend to be on the large side when you are talking about packing size. My favorite is one my kids gave me one birthday by Eagle's Nest Outfitters. It is a modular system, packs small and is very easy to set up. Here is the link to their site:

http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/

I have used this one and I love it. I have the mosquito net and tarp as well. It is easy to set up with the straps. It tends to be a bit pricey though.

There are some very small, net type hammocks I have used; and they can double as a fishing net if needed. I have not seen them for a number of years and do not know a source for them. The work, but are not as comfortable. If you are sleeping in your clothes, your buttons tend to hang up in the netting.

+1 on everything above and then some.

When we were on foot, I always enjoyed the "pocket hammock" that could be had in the PX. It did have the problem of hanging on EVERYTHING, but beat sleeping on the ground. When we had our vehicles, I had one of the old issue jungle hammocks with the roof and netting. Great thing about it was the ability to use it as a one man tent on the ground also.

RIP OBG

#169387 - 03/15/09 05:32 PM Re: Compact hammock [Re: Desperado]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
+1 on Eagles nest outfitters.

I have used one for a couple years. Highly recommend the slap straps. A must have. difference between great and kind of a pain. But
i'd recommend the straps for any hammock you buy.

#169390 - 03/15/09 07:01 PM Re: Compact hammock [Re: comms]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
Tom_L wrote:
>"I've been thinking about trying to do some more "ultralight" >hiking now that it's getting warmer.
>My usual setup when sleeping outdoors is my sleeping bag (w/ >extra liner if the temperature is below freezing), closed-cell >foam pad plus tarp or poncho to make a shelter."

How does adding a hammock to the weight help him go ultralight?

The Sock

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.