Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#141701 - 07/27/08 07:46 PM Re: BONY Bag [Re: Fitzoid]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Test the batteries every once in a while...

#141712 - 07/27/08 09:47 PM Re: BONY Bag [Re: Nishnabotna]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Or just swap them. Have her bring the kit home on the big breaks, and repack/inspect between the semesters.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#141726 - 07/27/08 11:12 PM Re: BONY Bag [Re: ironraven]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Hide the cash (small bills) inside items that she wouldn't normally use unless it was an emergency situation. It won't be a temptation, but she should find it when she's into the bag.

If you have friends or family in the area, make sure she has their names, addresses, phone numbers and a map to the places. She really needs to have a destination in mind, she shouldn't be leaving just randomly.

Sue

#141747 - 07/28/08 01:36 AM Re: BONY Bag [Re: Susan]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Sue,

Good idea about hiding cash inside emergency items but ..... I know that when I was a poor college student if I found hidden cash, you can bet that every single item in that BOB would be opened looking for more.

Beer had great influence in those days!

Mike

#141754 - 07/28/08 03:13 AM Re: BONY Bag [Re: Kurt_W]
Joy Offline
Journeyman

I didn't see any mention (unless I missed it) of feminine supplies like Tampons and sanitary pads. I also didn't see any toilet paper.

Joy

#141757 - 07/28/08 03:30 AM Re: BONY Bag [Re: Joy]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I have included TP and Sanitary Napkins in the Bob I made for my daughter. The sanitary napkins have a dual purpose of serving both the feminine need and they make excellent medium battle dressings for 1st aid.

Today, I added a roll of quarters and a .357mag/.38spl snub nosed 6 shot Dan Wesson Revolver, as well. I provided .357mag ammo in case they had to Bug Out and plenty of .38spl for home defense and range practice.

I keep reviewing the inventory of her and her BF's BoB to find gaps and fill them.

#141760 - 07/28/08 03:55 AM Re: BONY Bag [Re: wildman800]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"... Dan Wesson Revolver..."

A Dan Wesson? I sure hope yours works better than the ones that the CHP tried back in the early '80's!!!

#141766 - 07/28/08 08:18 AM Re: BONY Bag [Re: Fitzoid]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Crank radio that recharges cell phones, maybe has an led light.

Prepaid postcards.

Edited by dweste (07/28/08 08:24 AM)

#141768 - 07/28/08 11:00 AM Re: BONY Bag [Re: dweste]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Ah, I would take the revolver out - you REALLY REALLY don't want to get caught with one up here in the (censored) NYC! They can lock you up for 3 years

Edited by Doug_Ritter (07/28/08 11:46 PM)
Edit Reason: Inappropriate pejorative
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#141775 - 07/28/08 12:17 PM Re: BONY Bag [Re: Kurt_W]
Kurt_W Offline
Stranger

Hmmm, lots of replies. Let me see how many I can address at once...

Money - I have no hope that the money and nutrition bar will survive the school year intact. All I can do is provide the tools; as with all adults there are consequences if they choose to misuse them.

Choice of equipment - keeping cost and size down were significant considerations. A lot of the items where things I already had on hand or came with other items I purchased. The backpack, whistle/compass/combo, EOD bar, first aid kit, flashlight, etc all were items on hand. If I had an unlimited budget sure I would have made different choices. Another reason I chose an "old" backpack was that it looked old and wouldn't stand out in a crowd.

Immunizations - the school required just about everything you could think of. As part of her regular supplies she is taking other items for keeping clean and avoiding illness as much as possible. On the other hand in close quarters it is somewhat unavoidable.

Socks, etc. I know she wouldn't keep a decent change of clothes in the backpack so the 2nd instruction on the Do these things first card is to change into good walking clothes and pack a change. Will she do it - again she is an adult and I can do is teach and guide. I won't be there to force her to do anything; that is her choice and her consequences.

Where is she - her college is in Manhattan (NYU). Instead of the coins I put in a good phone card. Coins are heavier and can be used for other things. The phone card can't be used. The other reason I didn't put a Metro card in is, well, I haven't been in the city in a while so I didn't have the option to get one. It may be one of the things I add in BONY v2.

Heat/rain - good suggestions about sunscreen, another thing to add in v2. As for the poncho - naw, she probably won't use it for rain. But it has lots of other potential uses in a disaster, and it was free, and it is very small and light. So in it went. The reason I included 2 of some things (like the poncho and emergency blanket - 1 is a cheap mylar the other is a better AMK one) is that she may very well be traveling with a friend and can share.

The flashlight and radio each have two extra sets of batteries. And there are two 12 hour chemical light sticks. If that's not enough light than nothing I can add will be enough. One factor I had to take into consideration was weight. She would be less inclined to carry something that was really heavy.

For v2 I am considering adding more nutrition bars.

I like the idea of don't open unless emergency letter. Will add that in v2

The FAK is home-built. No sam splint or moleskin. I don't have the complete list here, but basically it will treat cuts, abrasions, etc. Not broken bones or extensive wounds. See comments above about weight and space.

The knife is a small swiss army type folder. I want to add a multi-tool but didn't have one available. Another item for v2.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions!
-Kurt

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 443 Guests and 76 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.