Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#165610 - 01/29/09 04:21 PM Re: Speaking of cast iron... [Re: JohnE]
Loganenator Offline
Bike guy

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
Hey all,

We use lodge cast iron. Very inexpensive, durable and american made. Amazon.com may still have the deal where if you buy 4 houseware products you get the cheapest item free and free shipping if over $25 on the estimate.

Someone had a problem with sticking of eggs and pancakes. I had this problem initially but we read the instructions (ok, well the DW did wink and found out you have to get the pan to temperature (i.e. hot) and add a little oil prior to adding the eggs and cakes. To check the temp of the pan (never leave the empty pan heating unattended) flick a bit of water on the surface of the pan with oil...if it pops and fizzes slightly its ready. Since we have adopted this method we no longer have a problem with sticking.

Also we wash the pans after we use them (I know, I know, but my parents never washed the pans and the rancid "crust" seriously grossed me out). I also dry them quickly (will rust with water), and I put a thin oil coating on the pan prior to putting it away. About once a month or so I'll "re-season" the pans by heating the in the oven empty with a bit of oil in them.

Best pans ever if you have the patience and some pot-holders wink.

~L

Edit: Also we purchased an ol' fashion metal spatula from a thrift store and this also really helped alleviate the sticking problems. Plastic spatulas just do not work well with cast iron...as might be expected. wink

Edited by Loganenator (01/30/09 02:02 AM)

#165950 - 02/01/09 04:15 PM Re: Speaking of cast iron... [Re: Loganenator]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
The most common size used by Scout patrols is the 12" wide, 6 quart camp dutch oven. I think most DO recipes target the 12" 6-quart DO.

I'll also recommend Lodge cast iron. Just don't make the mistake of getting their dutch oven that does NOT have the legs on the bottom and the rim around the edge of the lid. Those "other" kind of dutch ovens are made for indoor oven use - rather than outdoor camp use. Lodge calls the the outdoor use versions "Camp Dutch Ovens".

BTW, if you've never tried a Lodge cast iron fry pan (Lodge calls them skillets), please do so. They are wonderful. My favorite is the 12", though for the amazingly low price you can get the 10.25" and the 12" and they nest together nicely (w/ paper towel in between to protect the sweet finish).

I've read several reviews that rate a seasoned cast iron skillet as being better than the very best of the fancy non-stick cookware.

#165972 - 02/01/09 08:20 PM Re: Speaking of cast iron... [Re: KenK]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: KenK
.... Just don't make the mistake of getting their dutch oven that does NOT have the legs on the bottom and the rim around the edge of the lid. Those "other" kind of dutch ovens are made for indoor oven use - rather than outdoor camp use. Lodge calls the the outdoor use versions "Camp Dutch Ovens"....

I agree about the lids, but I use the flat bottom ones outside by simply setting them up on stones, tent pegs or a low grill.
I sometimes hang them over the fire from a tripod too.

So if you do have one with a flat bottom it will still work quite well.

The right lids are getting harder to find for them, and they do make a difference in how well the oven works.

#165981 - 02/01/09 11:08 PM Re: Speaking of cast iron... [Re: scafool]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
If you are boiling or frying, you can hang the stove-top style Dutch Oven from a tripod over a fire or use on a burner. I've also used el Cheapo welded wire flower pot holders as pot stands for my flat bottoms and fry pans as well, over wood fire of course.

The 12" diameter are arguably the most common size used these days. The standard 6 quart is preferred for baking, the "deep" 8 quart for roasting and casseroles, stews, or other higher capacity recipes. I have more deep ones than standard size, but I have adapted my baking to accomodate the greater volume.

#166159 - 02/03/09 12:47 AM Re: Speaking of cast iron... [Re: scafool]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: scafool
Originally Posted By: KenK
.... Just don't make the mistake of getting their dutch oven that does NOT have the legs on the bottom and the rim around the edge of the lid. Those "other" kind of dutch ovens are made for indoor oven use - rather than outdoor camp use. Lodge calls the the outdoor use versions "Camp Dutch Ovens"....

I agree about the lids, but I use the flat bottom ones outside by simply setting them up on stones, tent pegs or a low grill.
I sometimes hang them over the fire from a tripod too.

So if you do have one with a flat bottom it will still work quite well.

The right lids are getting harder to find for them, and they do make a difference in how well the oven works.

Lodge still makes them for the BSA. They have legs, and a nice raised edge around the rim on the top so the ash from the coals doesn't end up in your pot. It's got some heft to it, about 20 lbs for the 6 quart 12 inch version. ($65) It's on www.scoutstuff.org
(I think you can buy the same one from Lodge without the BSA logo for a little less)

- Ron

#166165 - 02/03/09 01:04 AM Re: Speaking of cast iron... [Re: Be_Prepared]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
My most-used cast iron is a wok from Lodge. Pre-seasoned but getting even better with every use.

This replaced my 20-year old well-seasoned carbon steel wok. Much prefer the cast iron.

Woks are extremely versatile. With the cast iron you can do a nice deep-fry, too.

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Pro-Logic-14...6576&sr=1-2

Edited by Dagny (02/03/09 01:05 AM)

#166492 - 02/05/09 02:53 PM Re: Speaking of cast iron... [Re: Dagny]
Ready Offline

I have a question. I have a few pieces of old cast iron that I picked up at garage sales and such. I believe the are Griswold. I recently wanted to use the 6qt dutch oven for baking bread in my oven. It was "seasoned" so I just rinced it out and dried with paper towel.

The recipe called for preheating the oven and pan to 450. We after about 20 minutes it started smoking and stinking. Is that normal at that high temp, and just the "seasoning" burning off?

Is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks,

Ready

Edited by Ready (02/05/09 02:54 PM)

#166495 - 02/05/09 03:04 PM Re: Speaking of cast iron... [Re: Ready]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
450 would be above the smoking point of most oils.
Deep fryers run at 350 to 375 and they have to be selective about what oils they use.
Here is a list of oils and the temperatures they smoke at.
http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/CollectedInfo/OilSmokePoints.htm

#166497 - 02/05/09 03:06 PM Re: Speaking of cast iron... [Re: Ready]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
If it is smoking, that means that whoever had it before you didn't complete the seasoning process, and the remaining volatiles from the previous application are now cooking off.

Before you cook with any of that iron, I would at least put it all through one seasoning session. It will ensure that the pot is ready to cook in and is sterile.

Typically you will want to put a thin coating of oil or grease on the inside and outside of the pot/pan, put it in the oven at 450 to 500 degrees and let it burn in for about an hour or so. It will smoke, and if you have a bbq grill that will hold the pot I suggest doing this outside instead. When it is done, let it cool in the oven/grill, and it should come out shiny black and the surface should feel bumpy but smooth and not tacky or gummy.

The seasoning isn't burning off, it is getting set proper, and you can expect that to happen everytime you season the pot.

#168848 - 03/06/09 09:44 PM Re: Speaking of cast iron... [Re: benjammin]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
I didn't know lodge made the cast iron wok! Now I covet! I'm going to have to search one out. I'd feel better if it was 16+ inches, but I still covet this one!

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 292 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.