Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
#168965 - 03/09/09 12:06 PM Re: Les Stroud releases survival book [Re: Hookpunch]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: Hookpunch
I suggest that everyone should learn the knots listed here. http://www.4thtyldesley.co.uk/knots/
That's 15 knots. The more the better, of course, but I'd put a core, "must know" repertoire at half that. (And it would include the Constrictor Knot, which that list omits.)

#168966 - 03/09/09 12:20 PM Re: Les Stroud releases survival book [Re: Brangdon]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Quote:
There are of course some hotels around where some SERE skills are required. The Silver Rock in Barbados comes to mind. eek And even in some excellent 5 star luxury hotels I have ended up spending the night out in a location such as a rocky outcrop, without any shelter, with no food and water in the middle of a island in the hotel pool. blush

That is a challenging survival situation indeed, more so if you have to share those meager resources with a couple of beautiful exotic girls ready for anything...

#168968 - 03/09/09 12:32 PM Re: Les Stroud releases survival book [Re: Tom_L]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Bear could show us how it's done. He should shoot an episode on that island, I'm sure his producers could rough it there between takes.

#168981 - 03/09/09 05:44 PM Re: Les Stroud releases survival book [Re: ]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: Troglodyte007
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
Originally Posted By: Russ
. . . you are perceived by many as a favoritist homo seeking sympathy for the fact that Bear can approach survival with more of an SERE outlook than you can. . .
I don't recall being able to take the night off and sleep in a hotel during SERE. It was a long time ago, but that's something I think I'd remember. When did you go through SERE? Did you stay in a hotel at night?

S.E.R.Eis Survival. Evasion. Resistance. Escape .

Which this is not.

This is S.T.B.R.

Survive To Be Rescued.

In SERE you do not want to be found.
In STBR you do.

I disagree. When I watch Bear I get that he is moving from one place to another and not at all awaiting rescue. I do not think he is teaching SERE skills, but like I said before, what he is doing is applicable to them, which is being able to survive on the move, having "more of an SERE outlook" as I already said. Bear has a military background which is apparent in his survival strategy of finding his own way out and which reminds me of SERE. Other than the possibility that there may have been a few episodes I didn't see where he makes camp and awaits rescue somewhere, I don't know what you are talking about.

The normal advice in a situation in a survival situation is that you should remain where you are.

However, that comes with the caveat that you should only do so provided it is safe to do so.

In a situation you have to assess the situation and decide what your best course of action is. It might be better to stay put. Then again there might be a hazard(s) that makes moving elsewhere advisable.

Lower altitude, to water, shelter etc.

One scenario that Bear presented was the one of being stuck on a desert island. In this case there was no fresh water source. Desalinating seawater by boiling was impractical because of insufficent fuel and rain for water was intermittent at best. Staying put simply meant dying from thirst. Under those circumstances, constructing a raft and trying for another island is about your only hope.

Chances are that you will perish at sea. But you might make it.
You will die if you remain.

#168983 - 03/09/09 06:15 PM Re: Les Stroud releases survival book [Re: ]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Go on a survival outing with an accredited wilderness school to learn about survival.

Can you direct me to the authority that accredits wilderness schools?

#168986 - 03/09/09 06:48 PM Re: Les Stroud releases survival book [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
Go on a survival outing with an accredited wilderness school to learn about survival.

Can you direct me to the authority that accredits wilderness schools?

By "accredited" I mean widely known or widely respected or widely acknowledged as being a genuine place of learning.

"Accredited" can mean different things to different people, so I will try not to think your question is sarcastic by trying to point you in the right direction thusly (in case you took it literally):

Pinnacle
Woodland Survival Crafts
Wilderness Gathering
WMS
Aces

There are many, many more accredited schools all over the world, and there are many different authorities as well.

It would probably be more beneficial to you to search for them on your own, as each seems to dance to a different drum.

I hope that helps.

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.