Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#168979 - 03/09/09 05:26 PM Re: EDC Gear Missing - Need Replacements [Re: CAP613]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
^ Either that, or attach an external pocket clip to your keychain.

It's a real shame when you lose your EDC. frown

www.kravmagafederation.com

#168995 - 03/09/09 09:08 PM Re: EDC Gear Missing - Need Replacements [Re: Mike_H]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: Mike_H
What do you think about a braid of jute attached to the keychain for tinder?

Sorry Mike, I donīt know. I havenīt had opportunity to test a juta yet. I think that any tinder carried on your keychain should be waterproof (or at least sealed), should easily catch sparks and turn them into the flame; should burn long enough and should not be toxic/dangerous. At least these are my personal requirements that a tinder has to meet before it is carried on my keychain or elswhere.
I have been carying two AMK Tinder-Quicks (when in the city) closed in a small plastic reclosable zip bag (in my pocket). When I go trail running to the forest or hiking etc. I carry one Tinder-Quick and several small cubes of high melting point wax. It depends on the weather and circumstances but wherever I go (except for the swimming pool smile ) I carry at least two AMK Tinder-Quicks along with my ferrocerium fire starter.
I will have to find a way how to attach my tinder to the keychain carabiner. Maybe I will have to look for some kind of lighweight capsule.

#168997 - 03/09/09 09:29 PM Re: EDC Gear Missing - Need Replacements [Re: raptor]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I like the gear. To avoid the bulk in the pocket, I'd carry it in a cell phone pouch on my belt. Quiet, secure and looks normal.

#169004 - 03/09/09 11:47 PM Re: EDC Gear Missing - Need Replacements [Re: KenK]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
You may want to look at the smallest version of the Light my Fire as sold here. I don't know how it relates to the BSA equipment in size. I use this one on a micro carabiner secured to my EDC day pack.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/...arting_kit.html

#169011 - 03/10/09 02:09 AM Re: EDC Gear Missing - Need Replacements [Re: Roarmeister]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
That's exactly the one I'm considering - the "mini". It might be a lot begger than the Hot Spark. I wish those selling them would publish the dimensions of the rod and the overall dimensions (kudos to Doug for giving so many stats on his knives). Has anyone tried using keys to fire-off ferro rods?

No, I didn't have the keychain attached to anything. I'm still hoping to find it somewhere in the house, but so far that hasn't happened. I'm mostly sad about the Arc light - its been with me a long time. I've tried looping small lengths of paracord to a belt or belt loop, but it gets really irritating when reaching into the pocket. I also don't want to look like a janitor w/ keys hanging out (nothing against janitors ... that's how I earned money in high school & parts of college).

Good point on the tinder. Maybe I should try the stuff-cotton-in-a-straw technique, though I wouldn't think the straws would be tough enough to survive pocket-trauma. If worse comes to worse I figure I can use some bits of cotton clothing smeared w/ lip balm (I usually carry lip balm in a pocket.

Ken

#169016 - 03/10/09 04:16 AM Re: EDC Gear Missing - Need Replacements [Re: KenK]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: KenK
I've tried looping small lengths of paracord to a belt or belt loop, but it gets really irritating when reaching into the pocket. I also don't want to look like a janitor w/ keys hanging out.Ken

Well, I use a system where nothing is hanging out at all. Not irritating when reaching into the pocket either. This is photographed without my EDC. When itīs attached to the belt everything including 90 % of the carabiner is hidden inside the pocket. Itīs not noticeable or bulky, nothing is hanging out and my EDC gear is secured - I can run with it etc. Actually I use this system for trail running and everything. No problem so far.

Maxpedition Keyper + Simond Chamonix Micral carabiner:

#169020 - 03/10/09 05:31 AM Re: EDC Gear Missing - Need Replacements [Re: raptor]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I understand about losing your keys and everything with them.
It has happened to me enough times that I have spare house and car keys in my wallet. ( a spare key is astonishingly useful when you lock your keys inside the car in the ignition)

Your choices are good.

I tend to be more into distributed carry though.
I have everything listed, but not all in one pocket.
(and I still have to deal with the "kid robbing a cookie jar" look)

One thing I am blessed with is living in a climate where having a jacket is normal even if you are not actually wearing it at the time, even during the summer.
This gives a set of extra pockets and in my case some zippers that I can attach zipper pull items to.(like the compass)

The big one, as you say, is the light. for me that is not so bad, especially in town.
The cheapest and smallest LED that can hang off a zipper or get lost in a pocket. The only problem is to make sure it can not be turned on by accident and go dead on you.

Edited by scafool (03/11/09 12:33 AM)
Edit Reason: pruning

#169082 - 03/11/09 12:23 AM Re: EDC Gear Missing - Need Replacements [Re: KenK]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
The ferro rod is 1.5" x 5/32" dia. (Exposed portion) It looks like it extends 3/16" into the handle.

The handle is 1.5" x 3/4" x 5/16".

I've carved off a bit of the rod already. I use the lockback indent on my Spyderco Salt I to spark it but I think the supplier sparker works better. But a jig saw or shortened hack saw blade works REALLY well.

This picture will give you some perspective - compared to the Scout version and to a magnesium block. Excuse the bad focus, my macro was having problems that day.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1021/929582581_b4ea197ca3_b.jpg

I googled the bsa hot spark - it looks to be about the same size, maybe slightly shorter ferro rod.

Hoods Woods has a smaller 1/8" x 2" rod sold in singles and 5 paks.
http://survival.instantestore.net/pd_mini.cfm

#169828 - 03/20/09 04:55 PM Re: EDC Gear Missing - Need Replacements [Re: raptor]
massacre Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Central Illinois
Originally Posted By: raptor
Well, I use a system where nothing is hanging out at all. Not irritating when reaching into the pocket either. This is photographed without my EDC. When itīs attached to the belt everything including 90 % of the carabiner is hidden inside the pocket. Itīs not noticeable or bulky, nothing is hanging out and my EDC gear is secured - I can run with it etc. Actually I use this system for trail running and everything. No problem so far.

Maxpedition Keyper + Simond Chamonix Micral carabiner:

I'm really digging this rig raptor. Going to have to get this... smile

#169846 - 03/20/09 08:52 PM Re: EDC Gear Missing - Need Replacements [Re: massacre]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Great, thanks smile. I will take more photos (with EDC gear etc.) very soon. (I am waiting for a daylight).

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.