Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#161485 - 01/05/09 11:03 PM Re: Les Stroud releases survival book [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I picked this up the day it came out, and read it voraciously in 2 consecutive nights. True, there arent that many things in the book that most here dot at least have a passing knowledge of; but, I have huge respect for him, and enjoyed the book immensely. It is a boiled down, no nonsense book, one I plan on lending to my nephew shortly.
I didnt know he was giving up the show! I completely understand and respect his decision, but, it saddens me. If he DOES read this forum, I would also like to chime in that I will miss watching his shows, and look forward to his next ventures!

#168855 - 03/06/09 11:31 PM Re: Les Stroud releases survival book [Re: oldsoldier]
Hookpunch Offline

Went through the book, and though Les knows more about me on most subjects, I have to say the section on knots is a bit lacking.

Les recommends a bowline...which I doubt I would trust with modern rope like nylon, I would suggest a buntline hitch instead,

I think he should have also shown how to tie two ropes together, a sheet bend knot for example.

I suggest that everyone should learn the knots listed here.

http://www.4thtyldesley.co.uk/knots/

#168857 - 03/07/09 12:17 AM Re: Les Stroud releases survival book [Re: Nemoaz]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Nemoaz
>>Does he demonstrate an expert approach to survival, I would think so.

Grylli Vanilli, an expert? Weekend warrior sham, yes. Hotel frequent flyer, yes. Expert, laughable. I won't let my children watch Idiot vs. Motel.

Les at least tries to show survival skills. He also tries to demonstrate a different skill each time, hence why he doesn't just pull out his shoelace and start a fire each time.

I'm sure some of us are fairly comfortable in our own environment, but if you were dropped into Africa or Arizona, you'd struggle too.

At least Les is authentic and doesn't demonstrate things that not only won't help you survive but actually increase your chance of failure.

As for the lean-to quote, I'm sure for his experience in a boreal forest, he's correct. A lean-to just doesn't offer sufficient protection here in Upper Michigan unless you are sleeping in front of a raging fire.

"I like Les. His is more real. I don't like Bear. His is bigger but fake. I'm a homo with special TV idol needs. I wish Les would magically appear in my room for me, but not Bear Grylls. Blah, blah, blah..."

SHUT UP!!!

Why do people always try to compare between these two? They are two different guys who ENJOY doing there own different style of show. If you don't like it, turn the channel. I personally watch both shows and I enjoy them both about the same. I do not, however, hope to learn anything in particular about survival from a TV show. Go on a survival outing with an accredited wilderness school to learn about survival. You ever heard of Tom Brown Jr.? Give one of his books a try. He is about as legendary as a survival guy can be, and he doesn't need a TV show to prove it. There is no magic formula for survival. It is primarily about attitude, which is something we can get a taste of from watching TV, but until you are there, you haven't learned anything.

I'm just tired of all the whining favoritist brats that feel the need to tell everybody who they like. It all sounds like a bunch of junior high school girls.

Congratulations on your book, Les, although I haven't read it yet.

#168861 - 03/07/09 01:20 AM Re: Les Stroud releases survival book [Re: ]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Well, there's no need to be abusive. If you didn't like the thread, you could have just 'changed channels,' right?

#168863 - 03/07/09 01:28 AM Re: Les Stroud releases survival book [Re: ]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Originally Posted By: Troglodyte007
"I like Les. His is more real. I don't like Bear. His is bigger but fake. I'm a homo with special TV idol needs. I wish Les would magically appear in my room for me, but not Bear Grylls. Blah, blah, blah..."

SHUT UP!!!

And then followed by this:

I'm just tired of all the whining favoritist brats that feel the need to tell everybody who they like. It all sounds like a bunch of junior high school girls.

How can you call someone a "homo" and then try to call them out for being childish?

#168868 - 03/07/09 03:53 AM Re: Les Stroud releases survival book [Re: dougwalkabout]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Well, there's no need to be abusive. If you didn't like the thread, you could have just 'changed channels,' right?

If you are going to attempt to defend the response I responded to, I will speak to you as though you are that person.

Firstly, I don't think I was being abusive; only a total wussy would think what I said was abusive. But, even so, I suppose you are right. It's uncanny how a little hypocrisy can appear to sneak up on a person sometimes; and yet, I would think it more likely to suppose I was trying to criticise constructively, maybe giving "a little of one's own medicine" so to speak, in order to put things in perspective. This is a forum, not a TV show, and I would expect that people not Bear-bash or Les-bash. If you can't handle being admonished for your childishly inappropriate attitude toward people who owe you nothing, then grow up, because you will get bashed right back!

You might not agree, but I think that Les and Bear deserve equal respect. If you don't agree, then you should be advised that it is a viable argument to assume that you are perceived by many as a favoritist homo seeking sympathy for the fact that Bear can approach survival with more of an SERE outlook than you can, and while that might not be the survival situation you would like to find yourself in someday, Bear's is a relevant and valued attitude to be aware of and have if need be. I guess you can't see it that way. It simply seems that people who don't like Bear's approach cannot find it within themselves to appreciate others' differences. What a bunch of homo's!

Just because you and a small handful of others don't know what respect is, doesn't mean someone has to go out of his way and do you the favor of telling you how you are perceived by the many rather than the few. So appreciate it. It's simply that if you can't be reasoned with, then your fear of not being included in the majority might help you pull your head out. I know most would simply ignore you, but there are too many not showing any concern for the value of respect and appropriateness in the world today, and for that reason, it bothers me that favoritism goes unchecked. Favoritism is the beginning of exclusionism, etc. Respect everyone equally or you are the one who is disliked!

Maybe that's the answer you were looking for. If it isn't, then assume I can't help you and simply don't ask.

#168871 - 03/07/09 04:29 AM Re: Les Stroud releases survival book [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: Troglodyte007
. . . you are perceived by many as a favoritist homo seeking sympathy for the fact that Bear can approach survival with more of an SERE outlook than you can. . .
I don't recall being able to take the night off and sleep in a hotel during SERE. It was a long time ago, but that's something I think I'd remember. When did you go through SERE? Did you stay in a hotel at night?

#168876 - 03/07/09 08:00 AM Re: Les Stroud releases survival book [Re: Russ]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Quote:
You might not agree, but I think that Les and Bear deserve equal respect. If you don't agree, then you should be advised that it is a viable argument to assume that you are perceived by many as a favoritist homo seeking sympathy for the fact that Bear can approach survival with more of an SERE outlook than you can, and while that might not be the survival situation you would like to find yourself in someday, Bear's is a relevant and valued attitude to be aware of and have if need be. I guess you can't see it that way. It simply seems that people who don't like Bear's approach cannot find it within themselves to appreciate others' differences. What a bunch of homo's!

That's a bit like saying Madonna and Beethoven are all the same. Even though one is a pop star best remembered for her sexual escapades while the other is recognized as a musical genius nearly 200 years after his death. You can be a Madonna fan or a Beethoven freak, to each his own. But saying they're somehow on the same level is at least inaccurate if not ridiculous.

IMHO, Bear and Les are so different in their approach they should't even be mentioned together in the same paragraph. Their shows are totally different and target a different audience.

Whether one is better than the other depends on how you look at it. Having just seen Bear's commercial on TV (Discovery channel) I'll admit Bear has a whole lot more "entertainment" and horror value. Just watching him do another backflip from a huge cliff was scary! On the other hand, I've picked up some useful outdoor tips from Les and Ray Mears so those guys have much more to offer in the educational department IME.

Whatever you pick, I don't see what this has to do with homos. I can't quite understand what you mean by using that word all over again unless it's perhaps some psychological thing having to do with your own insecurities?

Please, let's keep this civil. I think I'll rather take a little walk because it's a mighty beautiful day otuside. smile

#168877 - 03/07/09 11:22 AM Re: Les Stroud releases survival book [Re: ]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Okay Trog. Just calm down.
You worded your comments a bit strongly and some people take things a bit too personally.

The rest of you calm down too.
It is not always all about you.
----
I have not read the current crop of survival books yet, and I am not sure if I ever will, so I can not really give an opinion on Les Stroud's new book.

I am a bit jaded with all the bush-craft and survival from over the years.
It seems that every year there are a raft of new books out by the latest survivalist gurus.
Some of them are good, some of them are useless and some of them would get you dead faster if you followed their advice than if you did nothing at all.
I will point out that they are all competing for market share in a small, overcrowded and shrinking niche.

My only criteria for judging these people's work is on the information quality. Your comment states your position on that quite well.
I agree with it too, but there is no need for the thread to become a flamewar about who is better.

I would much rather hear more about whether the book is worth reading.
It shouldn't matter who wrote the damn thing.

Even if Paris Hilton was the author I would still want to know how good the book was.
I suspect she might have an interesting perspective on survival, and would advise staying HOT instead of just warm.

Edited by scafool (03/07/09 01:39 PM)
Edit Reason: bold a point

#168878 - 03/07/09 11:51 AM Re: Les Stroud releases survival book [Re: BruceZed]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: BruceZed
Originally Posted By: bmisf
...new Sierra Nevada episode, where he makes a trap out of his guitar in addition to Paiute deadfalls from rocks and sticks. None of them caught anything - and in fact one of the deadfalls failed from being set up improperly...

3000 KCal later he has destroyed a guitar and wasted enough calories to live for 2 days and has nothing to show for it.

"Survival is the Art of Minimal Investment for Maximum Return"

I wanted to add a brief comment on this.
Most trappers only expect a 1 in 10 capture on snares, In other words a 90% failure rate.
This is with people who are familiar with their terrain and their game.
The results become much worse for people not practiced in the arts of trapping or familiar with the area.

The main uses of snaring and trapping for a survival situation are:
a) Positive mental attitude. The person has something to keep them occupied and gives them the feeling they are doing something positive to help themselves.

b) Setting up and checking a small trap line pins the person to their location. They are not wandering off and getting even more lost.
This is a very useful thing for the SAR team.
It is easier to find a wrecked vehicle than a person on foot.
Also useful is the lost person keeping a decent signal fire going at night.

edit:
One other thing setting a small trap line does is increase your situational awareness of resources in your area. You will be looking for things within a short walk of where you are and will likely find other useful stuff. (Water sources, fire fuel, building materials, sheltering spots or plant foods.)

Edited by scafool (03/07/09 01:37 PM)

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.