Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#168816 - 03/06/09 05:23 PM Re: Do you use the Internet to save money? [Re: Blast]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:
I make about 30 cents a day from my blog when people click on an advertisement. whistle
-Blast

confused why was this in red?

It's something my DW taught me. She calls it "a hint".
grin
-Blast

So Blast, if I click 10 times. does that buy you a beer?

#168828 - 03/06/09 06:27 PM Re: Do you use the Internet to save money? [Re: aloha]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
The internet is very good for comparing prices.

#168830 - 03/06/09 06:30 PM Re: Do you use the Internet to save money? [Re: aloha]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I research the heck out of products online, then go in to buy them locally if they're available and not outrageously priced. Unfortunately, many salespeople these days just don't know what they're selling. Their goal is to sell you something, your goal is to buy yourself the most appropriate something for your use. These two goals are usually mutually exclusive, so I do prior research on the internet to gain knowledge BEFORE shopping. Prepared thusly, 99 times out of 100 I know more about the product in the store than the salesperson does.

#168843 - 03/06/09 09:08 PM Re: Do you use the Internet to save money? [Re: aloha]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Originally Posted By: aloha
So Blast, if I click 10 times. does that buy you a beer?

More likely it would get him banned from Adsense for click fraud frown

On the other hand I just read that some bloggers had some success by changing the "Paypal Donate" button to "Buy Me A Beer"

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#168846 - 03/06/09 09:24 PM Re: Do you use the Internet to save money? [Re: thseng]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Another thing the internet is good for is cutting communication costs especially with "voice over internet protocol" instead of racking up long distance telephone bills.

#168849 - 03/06/09 10:40 PM Re: Do you use the Internet to save money? [Re: scafool]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Very true. I know a couple whose daughter is working in Australia. They use some sort of VOIP/video link to talk several times a week.

The cool part is that they talk more and longer than when they all lived in the same house. Absence makes the heart ... &tc.

#168869 - 03/07/09 04:04 AM Re: Do you use the Internet to save money? [Re: haertig]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: haertig
Switch to Linux with opensource software downloads from various free repositories (Internet-based), and you save hundreds and hundreds, if not thousands of dollars over a PC running expensive Windows OS with all the associated programs you have to buy (Word, Excel, virus scanner, malware detectors, backup/imaging software, etc.)

Very good point. I had forgotten about all the perfectly good and free software there is on-line.

One of the best IMHO is Open office which can substitute for MS Word. I also like Abi-word.

#168888 - 03/07/09 02:46 PM Re: Do you use the Internet to save money? [Re: haertig]
sodak Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: haertig
Switch to Linux with opensource software downloads from various free repositories (Internet-based), and you save hundreds and hundreds, if not thousands of dollars over a PC running expensive Windows OS with all the associated programs you have to buy (Word, Excel, virus scanner, malware detectors, backup/imaging software, etc.)

I've been Windows - free since 1997, and haven't looked back. But having been programming in Unix since the late 70's helps also.

I've been successful at getting some of my family to at least switch to Macs. Even though they are pricey, having a Unix based operating system has saved them many hundreds of hours of frustration.

The internet has been great. Sometimes I buy locally, when I'm trying to find something that's not available, I love being able to go to Amazon and use free shipping.

There are times when I like to use a local merchant, and there are times when I feel I'm being held hostage, and like to go on-line to circumvent them. And there are times when I want to hold what I'm buying before I buy it. It really depends on the situation.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 267 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.