Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#168650 - 03/04/09 07:21 PM Re: NFL Players & Boat accident [Re: ]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Reports say they retrieved and donned the life vests after the boat capsized.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#168651 - 03/04/09 07:25 PM Re: NFL Players & Boat accident [Re: CAP613]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
As I have written before, my next purchase is a PLB, probably when the newest versions are reviewed this summer. I will restitch packs and tents, make due with older models of this or that.

I already carry whistles, mirrors, flares, strobes on me when they count. All separately corded to my body.

I am thoroughly convinced that for me an ACR Microfix is mandatory equipment for how I approach life. Have I needed one in the past...maybe, but I got through it. Now with a greater appreciation for my life and what its worth, its better to be prepared than not. Isn't my life worth $700 if it works?

BTW, would an ACR Microfix work fifty miles out to sea? Isn't that the distance the boat flipped? If not how far out to sea would it work based on actual tests or activations.

#168653 - 03/04/09 07:26 PM Re: NFL Players & Boat accident [Re: Russ]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Dropping anchor can provide stability by keeping the bow (pointy end) facing into the waves. I don't know how deep it was where they were, but you are supposed to depoloy at LEAST three times the anchor line as the depth (i.e. 150 feet of line if you are in 50 feet of water). That is a minimum, or your anchor is going to pull free of the bottom each time the waves push the boat up.

Having said that, it would not be my first choice in those conditions. I would do it only if there were no other options, such as if the engine died.

#168655 - 03/04/09 07:29 PM Re: NFL Players & Boat accident [Re: comms]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: comms
. . .BTW, would an ACR Microfix work fifty miles out to sea? Isn't that the distance the boat flipped? If not how far out to sea would it work based on actual tests or activations.

An ACR MicroFix will work globally -- 50 miles, 500 miles, 3000 miles. SPOT has the coverage issues, not ACR or McMurdo's PLB's.

#168657 - 03/04/09 07:34 PM Re: NFL Players & Boat accident [Re: DesertFox]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Okay, I can see deploying a sea anchor to stabilize the boat, but not a Danforth or whatever type they dropped. Need more info (probably off topic to this thread).

#168667 - 03/04/09 08:06 PM Re: NFL Players & Boat accident [Re: NightHiker]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Family members to continue the search. Hope they prepare.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/29454121/

#168673 - 03/04/09 08:36 PM Re: NFL Players & Boat accident [Re: NightHiker]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I have wondered IF I should write my thoughts on some of this attitude to survive. Last night when info came out that 3 left the safety of the boat the way they did I wondered how Laurence Gonzales or Doug would write it. I am not trying to be inflammatory here, and I sincerely apologize if I am.

These men may have been young, strong strapping football players, but most professional athletes I know, and I know quite a few, are coddled mentally their entire life and never face the seriousness of reckless action. From high school to college and beyond, (pejoratively) pro athletes have grades handed to them, given passes in all tests of manhood not pertaining to furthering a sports career and generally coast through life. Their pampered. When confronted with any moment of life altering seriousness; family members, agents, lawyers, managers, handlers and close friends either make the decision for them or handle the issue by committee. Unlike the serious focus and determination they make towards the betterment of their condition for their profession, many of the athlete I know are quite fragile and weak mentally, unable to make a decision for them self without getting advice. It did not surprise me when I heard that at least one gave up by taking off their PFD and slipped away.

Exclusions certainly abound and when confronted with any potential responses to the above paragraph, I will say that none of these players in this accident were set on a trajectory that would transcend their sport and force them to be a persona of greatness like Ali, Beckham, Tiger, Jordan, et al where they would need to mature past just being a really, really good player in their sport. People like this are looked at as an entity above their sport and therefore constantly put into a position to make crucial decisions in business or life in front of the camera or on the spot, mindset is different when your the leader of the team or the guy who gets X million for playing, (or acting or signing, etc). For every sport god mentioned above there is 50 or more athletes who feel their life is an entitlement for what they can do in a sport and their lifestyle insulates them from confronting a real emergency with prepared thought and action.

Look this is a blanket comment not an indictment of these 3 or 4 guys. In fact the boat owner went to high school in my town and his family goes to my church where there was a vigil held last night. His dad is a local sportscaster. I am truly sorry for the loss of these guys. In the end,it's no longer going to be the story of 3 lost football players, its going to be about the survival story of the 1 who lived.

I am saddened that the 3 gave up or gave in. Its horrible. I have family and friends that would make the exact same decision that 3/4 of that boat made. That gives me no peace of mind. I am glad that one lived.

I will confess I am cringing as I hit the Submit button. I have no idea how this post will go over.

#168682 - 03/04/09 10:02 PM Re: NFL Players & Boat accident [Re: NightHiker]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
It's stories like this that make me think we need to bring back rites of passage. Maybe forcing them to slay a lion with just a short spear would be a bit much. Sending a kid out into the wilderness for 3 days/nights of fasting or something to show them they CAN SURVIVE IT!

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#168686 - 03/04/09 10:42 PM Re: NFL Players & Boat accident [Re: Blast]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Altered mental status due to hypothermia is a distinct possibility, as opposed to any character weakness or lack of motivation to survive. It happens that way sometimes.

Jeff

#168733 - 03/05/09 05:11 PM Re: NFL Players & Boat accident [Re: Russ]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Russ

IMO as soon as they realized the weather had turned they should have been up on the step heading back in. 20/20

I'm betting that just reading the weather forecast before leaving is an even better idea, and quite a bit cheaper than a PLB.

A little practice is useful since the forecast may off a little as to just how far a weather front will go in the next 24 hours. But it's rare for weather to appear out of nowhere so checking forecasts a couples hundred miles around their plan would likely have revealed a problem before ever getting on the boat.

I'm betting that is this case the most important part of Preparedness is Avoidance.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.