comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Sounds like the MayDay bars.

#168552 - 03/03/09 07:58 PM Re: emergency food bars [Re: comms]
PSM Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Cochise Co., AZ
I've been making my own for several years using the following recipe I found on the web:

Quote:
Emergency Ration Recipe

By: various survival sites

* 3 cups rolled oats, barley, or wheat
* 2 1/2 cups nonfat milk powder
* 1/2 package Jell-O powder, citrus
* 1 cup sugar
* 2 tablespoon honey
* 3 tablespoon water

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Heat together water and honey, stir in Jell-O powder. Stir dry ingredients together, stir in Jell-O water, mix well. Then add additional water 1 tablespoon at a time, just until mixture can be formed into two bars. Dry in oven, wrap in foil to store. Each bar is 1000 calories. May be eaten as is, or cooked in a pint of water.

I divide them into 9 smaller bars, Press'n Seal them, and toss them in the freezer.

I left one out of the freezer to see what the shelf life was and it went about 18 months before developing any mold.

I prefer the lemon flavor but lime and orange are good too. I've been meaning to try vanilla so I should do it while I'm thinking about it.

#168564 - 03/03/09 11:41 PM Re: emergency food bars [Re: PSM]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: PSM
I've been making my own for several years using the following recipe I found on the web:

I left one out of the freezer to see what the shelf life was and it went about 18 months before developing any mold.

I prefer the lemon flavor but lime and orange are good too. I've been meaning to try vanilla so I should do it while I'm thinking about it.

Hmmm... seems interesting...

#168598 - 03/04/09 01:17 PM Re: emergency food bars [Re: ]
DaveT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
PSM - I'm going to try that recipe. Do you have an estimated time to dry out the bars at 300 degrees? Half an hour? Three hours?

Thanks

Dave

#168681 - 03/04/09 09:33 PM Re: emergency food bars [Re: DaveT]
PSM Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Cochise Co., AZ

More than half and hour and less than three hours, probably. smile Like with most drying there are a lot of variables. You just have to test it.

At first I tried to make the loaf so that it could be cut into 200 cal. cubes, but, unless you’re starving and have lots of water, you’re not likely to eat one at one sitting. In the future I’ll probably cut them in 50 cal. cubes so they can be used for grazing throughout the day.

I don’t think that the calorie count is all that important in “emergency” bars. I see them as staving off the demoralizing feeling of hunger while waiting for rescue or for the situation (flash flood, etc) to resolve itself. In a worst-case scenario, it gives you time to switch into “survival” mode.

These 110 cal. bars are from my first batch back in '02 before I switched to Press'n Seal. I took the pic just a few minutes ago. I keep these frozen and test them occasionally to see how they're holding up.

Pat

#168684 - 03/04/09 10:29 PM Re: emergency food bars [Re: PSM]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I have bars and keep them as part of my stockpile of food. Because they are designed to be all the food that someone needs, I think it gives me a lot of nutrition for the amount of space taken up by the bars. Living in a NYC apt. doesn't allow you to have much space. Bars give me a month of food, for DW and myself, of food in the space of three shoe boxes.

Edited by Dan_McI (03/04/09 10:33 PM)

#168689 - 03/04/09 10:57 PM Re: emergency food bars [Re: Dan_McI]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
I carry one Mainstay and one Datrex 3600 kcal bar in my BOB. I also have one MRE left over from my last deployment in there. But the trunk gets hot (Florida) so the MRE is about due to come out. I recently vacuum sealed a few extra items for the BOB:

Hard candy lemon drops
Instant coffee and tea
Bullion cubes
Almonds
Gatorade

In thinking of adding some sort of instant soup and peanut butter (I consider PB to be one of the best outdoor fuel foods going). I'll have enough carbos and fats, but I'll be short on proteins. I can't think of anything that would last a year in a hot trunk. Jerky won't.(don't ask)

I don't want to carry a lot of food, just enough for a few days that'll keep, but I'd like to hear you guys' suggestions.

Jeff

#168695 - 03/04/09 11:31 PM Re: emergency food bars [Re: Jeff_M]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I like the idea of making them yourself. Some folks posted what looks like a pratty good recipe above. Why not try it out?

Otherwise ... I vote for simplicity. Go down to your local supermarket. Pick the brand of granola bars that works best for you. I prefer the moist ones myself. Then buy a bottle of multi-vitamins (& minerals) and cram it in the top of your box of granola bars. Presto. Done!

Data says that human beings can survive a LONG time on minimalist rations, especially if essential vitamins & minerals are all avaialable. Nobody says it's fun. You may feel like eating your neighbors, especially if they're low in fat and high in protein. But you will get by just fine.

Pete

P.S. Oh, and I'd add a bag of beef jerky too. There's only so much of granola bars that a guy can take. Give yourself a break in the routine. If you get bored ... try trapping a few pigeons or ravens too. Plenty of good meat there.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.