The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#168456 - 03/02/09 09:18 PM Re: Anybody here into geocaching? [Re: KenK]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
I use Google Earth to give me an idea of where I'm going ahead of time. I go ahead and lay out several caches I want to hit and make a day of it, so I don't have to be in a hurry.

#168459 - 03/02/09 09:45 PM Re: Anybody here into geocaching? [Re: 2005RedTJ]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Where does one go to get coordinates for in my area.

#168460 - 03/02/09 09:55 PM Re: Anybody here into geocaching? [Re: comms]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Put your zip code in, that will give you the caches in a certain area. I would HIGHLY recommend signing up for a premium membership, once you get going. Its only $15 or so a year, but there is alot more that is available to you as a paying member.

#168463 - 03/02/09 10:39 PM Re: Anybody here into geocaching? [Re: oldsoldier]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
So on a random side note, I was on Ebay last night cuz of this thread. The bare bones, old as dirt Garmin Etrex is about $50ish (but it's about 10 years old)

Now, just for my own clarification, "car" gps units like the TomTom do NOT work for off-road applications, right? Even without the map, would they give GPS coordinates?

#168465 - 03/02/09 10:46 PM Re: Anybody here into geocaching? [Re: MDinana]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I have a decade old Garmin eTrex Vista. I just updated the firmware last summer and it works just great but it still is nothing compared to the color, touchscreen, relief showing, topo realistic screens of today.

Sigh, a boy can dream. A PLB before a new GPS. But I checked and there is two within a quarter mile of my office. Might check those out.

#168468 - 03/02/09 11:28 PM Re: Anybody here into geocaching? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
But pre-trip, is there any effective way to make use of Google Earth or some other land nav imagery/maps online? A little cyber recon might give me an edge over 'team high tech.' (It's not cheating, it's 'doing my homework.' PPPPPP.)

I often do a GE search before a difficult cache to find the best route into the area. I used GE on one cache that required a fair bit of hill climbing but with GoogleEarth I scouted an alternate route that turned a D/T of 3/4 into a 2/2. After logging, the owner jokingly came back to me and said that I cheated myself out of walking past some other great features in the Badlands and that I should go back and redo the hike the way he intended it to be done!

#168478 - 03/03/09 12:28 AM Re: Anybody here into geocaching? [Re: Roarmeister]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
I've done a bit of geocaching with a friend. Definitely a fun time to be had.

I'm looking at purchasing a Garmin GPSMAP 60csx myself... I've heard a lot of good things about them.

#168480 - 03/03/09 01:05 AM Re: Anybody here into geocaching? [Re: gonewiththewind]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Montanero
http://www.geocaching.com/

This site has all of the info you will need to get started. Get a few finds under your belt and then place one.

Thanks so much Montanero!! This is great!!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#168492 - 03/03/09 02:09 AM Re: Anybody here into geocaching? [Re: MDinana]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
Originally Posted By: MDinana
So on a random side note, I was on Ebay last night cuz of this thread. The bare bones, old as dirt Garmin Etrex is about $50ish (but it's about 10 years old)

Now, just for my own clarification, "car" gps units like the TomTom do NOT work for off-road applications, right? Even without the map, would they give GPS coordinates?

They will work, just probably not as nicely as a regular GPS. It will give you distance to a GPS point. You just have to know how to do it with a Tom-Tom or other car-style GPS. Every Geocache I have found since I started has been found with a Tom-Tom One. Once you get off recognized roads, you switch modes and have to zoom in tight to find your way.

I've never owned a non-car-type GPS, so I don't find it all that hard to use a Tom-Tom to do it with.

#168660 - 03/04/09 07:39 PM Re: Anybody here into geocaching? [Re: 2005RedTJ]
GameOver Offline
Journeyman

Loc: VA, USA
GeoCaching is known as "Treasure Hunting" in my household. Lots of local parks in the area have caches. In some places the map looks like you can use them as stepping stones across the region.

We find it is a good afternoon time activity where there is some directed interest/goal for the kids to latch on to. The GPS (an old model Magellan) gets us near, then it becomes a challenge to find the hidden cache. Often we just sign the log book instead of taking something (TN/LN - Took Nothing, Left Nothing). Teaching the girls that the journey is its own reward, along with "don't stick your hand in that dark hollow log without checking for critters first".

Be warned, I have friends who got very hooked on geocaching, to a disturbing extent...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.