The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#167288 - 02/18/09 12:34 PM Re: REJECTED!!! [Re: benjammin]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
If you have a security clearance, the CBI background check may be hitting on the research from the clearance background check. I have learned of this happening, raising a "red flag" and causing a delay. Amounts to an error in the program that does the automatic check for CBI/BATF.

Check with the governing authority, that may clear it up quick.

Another issue: I have witnessed folks with an ID number from BATF that speeds their background check. Seems they have had trouble because someone stole their identity, and once cleared up it still slows firearm purchases. BATF clears them and the ID number resolves things much faster. (one to three days vs. months)

RIP OBG

#167292 - 02/18/09 01:21 PM Re: REJECTED!!! [Re: Desperado]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Well, I've had the clearance for 6 years now, and nothing I know of about that status or anything has changed, or I'd be dealing with issues at work right now as well. I put in a call to HR and security, just in case. We'll see if I get an answer from them any quicker.

I'll have to look into this BATF ID number thing. I don't like the notion of further self-registration with the feds, makes me feel like a mark. Also, it shouldn't be necessary; they've got over a 30 year history of me purchasing firearms. If they don't know who I am by now, how can one more number make any difference? I am certified to teach hunter's education, I apply for a hunting license every year, I pay over a third of my income in taxes to them, which they never seem to forget who I am on that count. How is it they suddenly seemed to forget who I am? Maybe I won't file an income tax statement this year, and see how long it takes them to figure out what my current status is.

Lame excuse for more bureaucratic BS.

#167303 - 02/18/09 05:47 PM Re: REJECTED!!! [Re: benjammin]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

The BATF ID number is more for situations where someone with the same name (or who stole someone's ID) has a bad past, and the innocent party doesn't. Kinda like two Bill Smiths. One is a LEO, and one is a convicted felon. The LEO goes to buy a handgun, but has been confused for the felon in the past. As such, the LEO contacts BATF and gets the ID number. This then speeds his paperwork. Something of an extreme example, but you get the idea.

When I was after my last civilian security security clearance in the past, my old military clearance (with all the "bell, whistles and abbreviations") actually made the puny civilian "secret" harder to get. I haver NEVER figured that one out.

RIP OBG

#167916 - 02/26/09 12:34 AM Re: REJECTED!!! Update #1 [Re: Desperado]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Okay, I got my first response to my appeal of the state's denial of my gun purchase rights. Guess what, they have me confused with someone else, someone who got busted back in 86 here in Colorado for some undisclosed crime.

So now they want me to come down and get my fingerprints so they can verify I am who I say I am. EXCUSE ME!!! Why should I have to give them my fingerprints? They already have my SSN and my driver's license number, as well as my place of birth, my birthday, and a record of two other firearms purchases in this state in the past 3 years, one of them from last summer.

I need legal advice. Anyone know a good firearms law experienced law firm? This is ridiculous, frustrating, and is making me angry.

No accountability, no motivation to do the right thing, no reason. Once again, I am trapped in the system.

#167918 - 02/26/09 12:44 AM Re: REJECTED!!! Update #1 [Re: benjammin]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

You want the gun, or the fight????

That is the question you must answer for yourself. The prints are already on file somewhere if you have a clearance I know, I used to be the MP that took the prints often times.

Personally, just blow it off and get inked (or laser'd), you will have to for your CHL anyway.

Then go have a Fat Tire and a good stoggie.

RIP OBG

#168014 - 02/26/09 06:49 PM Re: REJECTED!!! Update #1 [Re: Desperado]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

They won't accept just any prints, regardless of the agency that has them, they want me to go to a local LE office and have them officially printed on their records, then take them to the court and have the court say on their letterhead that I am who I say I am, and not the person they've mistaken me for. I have fingerprint records with other state and federal agencies all over, but none of them are good enough, just like having a current Colorado CWP isn't good enough.

I don't really need the gun, but I don't mind fighting on the principle if it means fixing a broken system for the next poor schmoe that gets the treatment. I have to admit, my expectation of actually accomplishing anything by raising the issue legally is nil. I will probably stay po'ed for a couple more days, then begrudingly take some time off from work to go do the "process".

I hope I don't live to regret my decision to move to Colorado. It hasn't gone quite like I wanted or expected yet. I've been hoping things get better, but I don't handle stupid too well. I get too much of it at work to deal with. This is about as stupid as it gets for me.

#168016 - 02/26/09 06:56 PM Re: REJECTED!!! Update #1 [Re: benjammin]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
CMP wanted LE-taken fingerprints when I bought my 1st CMP Garand.

Maybe you could get another set and tell yourself you're doing it so you can get a CMP rifle?

I'm guessing you have a terrorist name like Benjamin Franklin and are on some terrorist watchlist.

Best of luck!

#168028 - 02/26/09 08:54 PM Re: REJECTED!!! Update #1 [Re: unimogbert]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Yep, something like that. That's why they let me buy the other two firearms, only one of the other two could be classified as an assault weapon (Extended mag 12 gauge pump shotgun with pistol grip, 20 in. short barrel, and bayonet lug).

#168039 - 02/26/09 10:01 PM Re: REJECTED!!! Update #1 [Re: benjammin]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
And here I thought Colorado was right behind Texas with gun issues!

Actually, it sounds like you've run into a bunch of bozos who want to throw their weight around.

Sue

#168056 - 02/27/09 12:41 AM Re: REJECTED!!! Update #1 [Re: Susan]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Somebody likely mistyped something without bothering to check the information on the screen.
The supposed criminal you are supposedly being confused with is just their refusal to admit they made a mistake.
They would rather run you around than accept any responsibility.

I mean if this person committed their criminal act in '86 that was 20 years ago.
It would have been a problem before now for you if it was really true.

Of course, I could say it is your own fault for having the same name as a criminal

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 409 Guests and 62 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.