Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#167084 - 02/14/09 02:48 AM Re: Vascillation rules my world today [Re: 7point82]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
You will also want to keep in mind that your $1500 today may not buy a 10# of flour in six months. I have the feeling that the trickle-down effect of this bailout is going to be bad, simply because I think it's gone too far to stop.

Sue

#167176 - 02/16/09 09:36 PM REJECTED!!! [Re: Stu]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
So the good state of Colorado, in their infinite show of ignorance and arrogance, decided to reject my "application to purchase". Of course, they don't give any reason, and you can't just call them on the phone and ask. You have to fax them a letter appealing their decision. That's it, that's your only option. Having done that, I now get to wait two weeks to a month before I will get a written response. Hopefully they will not simply say that I was denied becuase they have a record showing I am not a resident of the state, or I am otherwise disallowed, or maybe not even tell me why, just that my appeal was denied, in any case I will get to continue down the bureaucratic path ad infinitem until they change their mind.

I wonder at what point in the process I need to contact the NRA attorneys and see if they will take my case? In the meantime, no more new guns for me, unless I find a private sale that suits me. Good luck with that, right?

I guess Karma had a different idea for me anyways. At least now I have another $2,000 sitting in my safe.

#167178 - 02/16/09 09:52 PM Re: REJECTED!!! [Re: benjammin]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
That's a real bummer but.... your header address indicates Denver.

Doesn't Denver still have their very own so-called Assault Weapons ban? If that's the case, that could explain the rejection. (and might explain the search warrant being generated in the meantime).

If you aren't in Denver, then nevermind.

#167187 - 02/17/09 12:07 AM Re: REJECTED!!! [Re: benjammin]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Are you SURE you can't find a job in Texas?

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#167204 - 02/17/09 01:35 PM Re: REJECTED!!! [Re: Blast]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

I am not in Denver proper. I live in one of the suburbs to the south. Apparently there's no problem for others to purchase these guns here as by the end of the day Saturday someone else came in and bought the thing.

So the question is, what records have they got screwed up now. I was able to buy an extended magazine shotgun in Florida in August using my Colorado credentials (I found out that a sporting goods chain with a store located in your state of residence can do the background check for out of state purchases as if you were standing in the store near where you legally reside). They called it in and cleared me in a day then, so what changed? I don't get it, but I am going to find out.

Yes, I could find a job in Texas. I'd have to get divorced to live there, as it would be easier to pull a good molar with my leatherman than to get the wife out of Colorado now. If I were to leave, I'd most likely head back to West Texas where I am originally from. Not much out there (anyone seen the movie "No Country for Old Men"?), but I know that dirt well. Everyone's got guns out there.

#167208 - 02/17/09 02:53 PM Re: REJECTED!!! [Re: benjammin]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

I wondered while you were in Fla for that brief time if you picked up a concealed weapons permit, if it would have helped or not. It shows Colorado honors the license, I wonder if they would also let you buy with the license. Did you ever or does Colorado have a Concealed weapons permit, I would think they might to be on this list and was wondering if getting one would help any. Worst case you could buy one in Fla or maybe Texas and snag a bear with Blast down there. They may have looked in a database of previous years taxes showing your location not in Co and rejected you, but not sure.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

FLORIDA'S RECIPROCITY STATES
Alabama (1,3,5)
Alaska (1)
Arizona (6)
Arkansas (1)
Colorado (1,4)
Delaware
Georgia (1)
Idaho (3,6)
Indiana (1,3,6)
Kansas (1,4)
Kentucky
Louisiana (1)
Michigan (1,4)
Mississippi (1)
Missouri (1)
Montana (3)
Nevada (1,6)
New Hampshire (1,3,4,6)
New Mexico (1)
North Carolina (1)
North Dakota (3,6)
Ohio (1)
Oklahoma (1)
Pennsylvania (1,6)
South Carolina (1,4,6)
South Dakota (1,3)
Tennessee (1,6)
Texas (1,3,6)
Utah (1,6)
Vermont (2)
Virginia (1,6)
West Virginia (1,4)
Wyoming (1,3)

#167210 - 02/17/09 02:57 PM Re: REJECTED!!! [Re: benjammin]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

They do have a CCW license available in Colorado.

http://cbi.state.co.us/ccw/default.asp

•At this time, Colorado Concealed Weapon permits do not meet all the criteria to qualify for an exemption to the background check. That means even if you have a Colorado Concealed Weapon permit you must have a new background check every time you purchase a firearm. Out of state Concealed Weapons permit holders also need a background check to purchase a firearm in Colorado.

So much for that idea...

#167248 - 02/17/09 09:01 PM Re: REJECTED!!! [Re: falcon5000]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Falcon's right on about the CWP for Colorado and the non-qualification for the Background check. I maintained my Colorado residency for the past four years while traveling, keeping my driver's license and vehicle license and registration in Colorado at a valid address. When I bought the gun in Florida, I was still paying state income tax to Colorado in addition to using my valid CO license as ID for the gun purchase in Florida, so everything about that purchase was based on my qualification as a Colorado resident. Why is it, now that I am back in Colorado, I am somehow now no longer valid?

I hate this "We can't discuss it over the phone with you" BS. They won't even talk to me in person if I went to their office. Once they've made the mistake, you are automatically trapped in their bureaucracy. No accountability, no matter the impact, you just send them your appeal notice and wait for them to send you something back, eventually. Then all they have to say is that the appeal is denied, no other explanation is necessary on their part, and the clock starts all over again, only now you probably have to hire an attorney and go to court to get the records opened or some such.

We shall see just how far down the garden path I have to be led before I give up and start hacking my way around them and just find an alternative. If I was smarter, I would probably already have chosen that option now, but I am trying to play by the rules and be a good "model citizen" and at least try and get some value for my tax dollars by doing it there way. Most likely, it is an exercise in futility, but I am curious as to what cards they think they are holding. I suppose it is worth it to go a couple more rounds on the pot with them just so I can find out and pass what I learn along to others.

Our society comes up with these great altruistic notions and builds these little frankensteins and then turns them loose, with no idea what they will really do once they are empowered and have a life of their own.

#167252 - 02/17/09 09:18 PM Re: REJECTED!!! [Re: benjammin]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Any chance you could visit the Sheriff and ask in person if they know what's the matter?

If they issued you the CWP they might have insight. My Sheriff is customer-service oriented enough that I wouldn't hesitate to try this way to learn the problem.

Yours might be less helpful of course....

So much for the "instant" part of instant background check.

#167259 - 02/17/09 09:47 PM Re: REJECTED!!! [Re: unimogbert]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

The only thing the Sheriff can do is run a (public records) background check on me, which I can do as well for $10 or so. That won't turn anything up because if something bounced in my record I would already be hearing about it from others.

Nope, this has got to be an internal CBI problem. There's just no other viable explanation.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 247 Guests and 168 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.