Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#168215 - 02/28/09 06:00 PM Re: Legality of Ka-Bar knives in canada? [Re: scafool]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: scafool

Edit;
Maybe the best way to answer is say, "Ask yourself if you would stop you and question you if you were a cop."

Having been both a military cop and a civilian cop.....

Anyone not "in the field" for the military, and "out hunting/fishing" would have my undivided attention should I see that blade on their belt.

I carry a large fixed blade hunting/fishing, but it does not go onto my belt until I get to the field. That way I do not raise any eyebrows.

Wearing that in town, looks like a real good way to get free room and meals for at least one night (even in Texas).

Edit:
If a LEO happened up as you were removing it from the sheath to use in a legal manner, you might still wind up on the business end of his sidearm if not shot.
Stuff happens, I bet if I was the cop, I would at least draw if ANY other human beings were close enough for the knife holder to harm. Even though it was just a misunderstanding on my part.

Edited by Desperado (02/28/09 06:04 PM)

RIP OBG

#168217 - 02/28/09 06:37 PM Re: Legality of Ka-Bar knives in canada? [Re: Desperado]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Quote:
I carry a large fixed blade hunting/fishing, but it does not go onto my belt until I get to the field. That way I do not raise any eyebrows.

Same here. I don't wear a fixed blade knife until the moment I'm to hit the trail.

Quote:
Wearing that in town, looks like a real good way to get free room and meals for at least one night (even in Texas).

How about an anecdote?

A few years ago, on one of my last backpacking trips, I happened to be waiting for a train in Ft. William, Scotland. One of the most beautiful places I've ever seen, though it was raining all day and all night. It's also the starting point for most trips into the Highlands, Ben Nevis itc. So all in all, a pretty popular place with backpackers looking for a taste of the Scottish outdoors.

As I was about to catch the train back, I noticed a bunch of Germans in their early 20's. Typical backpackers, only that one of them was proudly showing off a full-blown USMC Kabar, leather sheath, worn on his belt. In plain sight, in broad daylight. And in of the least knife-friendly countries on Earth!

I often wonder what happened to that guy. He was darn lucky insofar as the train station was pretty much deserted at that time of the day but I wonder what they did to him once his Kabar was spotted by some cop or security guy. At the very least I'm pretty sure he never brought that knife back to Germany...

#168223 - 02/28/09 09:26 PM Re: Legality of Ka-Bar knives in canada? [Re: Tom_L]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

90% of knife carry is demeaner. De meaner you look, de more people will react. Nobody is going to get upset over what they don't see. And those that somehow DO discover you have a knife on you will be less concerned if you carry a few other items is association to your peacefull purpose; an emergency whistle, flashlight, firemaking devise etc. VS a photo of the PM with a target drawn in red, Quebeca seperatist literature or an american hockey team logo'ed shirt.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (02/28/09 09:29 PM)

#168231 - 02/28/09 11:26 PM Re: Legality of Ka-Bar knives in canada? [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
MedB Offline

Ok Chris, now that's just plain funny!

... american hockey team shirt...

#168239 - 03/01/09 12:51 AM Re: Legality of Ka-Bar knives in canada? [Re: MedB]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: MedB
Ok Chris, now that's just plain funny!

... american hockey team shirt...

Oh Yeah.....

You try going to a Montreal Canadiens home game wearing your Dallas Stars sweaters.

I have NEVER been so alone in such a crowded place in my life. Thank God I had a coat to wear to and from the game that covered it.

RIP OBG

#168247 - 03/01/09 02:01 AM Re: Legality of Ka-Bar knives in canada? [Re: Desperado]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Chris's point about demeanor is probably the best advice. Picture two people at the post office, both have heavy envelopes they've just received. One is 18 and is wearing a puffy jacket and his hat on backwards. He whips out a balisong and spins it open. The other is 70 and wearing a plaid shirt. He reaches into his pocket for a Buck folder and slowly opens it with both hands. Which one do you notice and size up as a threat?

Why do you want to carry an eight inch Kabar in a downtown area? And as a 25 year old, I get "Because I want to." But what tasks can't you use a less threatening knife for? I'm an Army officer, but even in uniform, my goto knife is a Swiss Army tinker with red handles. Even though I generally carry two other knives much faster and easier to deploy. No-one, but no-one notices I carry the swiss army knife. They only ever notice when I draw one of the other two knives. Either with a "Cool, what's that?", or a "Damn sir, where'd you pull that from?" When I take out the swiss army knife, I might as well be pulling out a pen for all the notice it gets. What kind of attention do you want? And are the tasks you need that knife for worth that attention? Because a knife like that draws attention.

#168252 - 03/01/09 05:17 AM Re: Legality of Ka-Bar knives in canada? [Re: AROTC]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Something I do not understand is why a KABAR anyway? I won't go into it's pros and cons. But I must point out a Russell-Grohmann
is canadian made, and even a classic Hudson's Bay cruising axe is no less attention getting.

#168256 - 03/01/09 06:12 AM Re: Legality of Ka-Bar knives in canada? [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Mystique surrounding the name, price or like the one I started with...
Dad's combat knife from Vietnam.

RIP OBG

#168295 - 03/01/09 04:21 PM Re: Legality of Ka-Bar knives in canada? [Re: scafool]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: scafool
Thanks Andrew, I just looked and you are right.
Section 3 of the federal act listing prohibited weapons does not say anything about blade length, though it does specify some styles of knives.

I might have made a mistake, or it might be Provincial or municipal. Either way I stand corrected and thanks for pointing it out.

However, Dean, people have been charged with prohibited weapons just for carrying a buck knife.
There is also a charge of "Possession of weapon for a purpose dangerous to public peace" which lets them charge you with anything as a weapon, even a folded newspaper, based on intent.

As far as I know, there is no length restriction for knives in any jurisdiction in Canada. Type of knife - yes. Use of knife or intended used of knife - yes. Carrying a pocket knife even concealed is not likely to raise to many eyebrows, however a large knife that looks tactical carried in the open on the street will likely get at least a question or two from a LEO. Context of the knife is important, for example don't try to carry one into court! People have called for bans at drinking establishments where liquor can make people loose their inhibitions and where fights may break out.

This thread comes up often especially after a local knife killing or assault however in my area most knife deaths are from kitchen knives used during house parties and most often by a native on another native. That's a statistical fact however there are a lot of youth gangs that are getting stronger and more prominent in my area and they tend to have all kinds of illegal armament.

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/Police+board+seeks+targeting+knife+crimes/1089734/story.html
"Any discussion about restricting knife possession at the provincial level will have to recognize that criminal laws fall under federal jurisdiction, he noted.

The Criminal Code already contains several provisions against carrying knives.

For example, under Section 265, begging, accosting or impeding another person while openly wearing or carrying any weapon or imitation weapon constitutes an assault.

Section 90, which prohibits carrying concealed weapons, contains a carefully worded definition of weapons designed to allow for their legitimate use. In addition to knives that are commonly used in crime, such as switchblades, the definition includes steak knives or hunting knives -- if the prosecution can establish a knife was concealed because it was intended to be used as a weapon.

Under Section 90, hiding a weapon in a vehicle is the same as carrying a concealed weapon on a person.

Section 89 of the code also prohibits carrying any weapon while attending or "on the way to attend" a public meeting."

#168299 - 03/01/09 04:39 PM Re: Legality of Ka-Bar knives in canada? [Re: Roarmeister]
Andrew_S Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
This thread comes up often especially after a local knife killing or assault however in my area most knife deaths are from kitchen knives ...

One of the things that struck me when I did my search of knife cases was how inappropriate the knives were.

People weren't getting done for carrying a concealed weapon for carrying a spear-point folder. They were getting done for carrying kitchen knives under their coats, or a filet knife in their sock, etc.

That should tell you how effective knife bans would be: not at all.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.