Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#168388 - 03/02/09 01:12 PM Re: Help Me Understand, Camo? [Re: Susan]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: Susan
After reading these posts, I wondered if wearing camo was best for hunters, so I googled 'do deer see color'. The answer was NOT what I expected!

What Deer See: http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/publish/atskodeersee.shtml

I guess a lot of hunters didn't know that! Bambi doesn't see what we see.

Sue

That was interesting Sue.
They are selling a product so I will have to check and see if what they say is true about deer seeing UV blue.
If they are right it explains a few things I have noticed over the years about how deer act.

The reason I go to Fluorescent orange in the fall is to keep from getting shot by the Nimrods.
I do not wear white in season for the same reason.
Whitetail deer flash the underside of their tails when they are alarmed and fleeing. It is like somebody waving their handkerchief.
Not only is a white flash an alarm for the deer, I have known people who would shoot at anything that flashed white on the assumption it was a deer they had spooked.

#168401 - 03/02/09 03:00 PM Re: Help Me Understand, Camo? [Re: scafool]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Quote:
That was interesting Sue.
They are selling a product so I will have to check and see if what they say is true about deer seeing UV blue.
If they are right it explains a few things I have noticed over the years about how deer act.

Yeah, interesting food for thought. I wonder though if the UV from the dyes is really such a dead give-away. IME, I've been able to stalk deer with some success as long as I've paid attention to the wind and smell. I don't hunt but I've frequently been able to approach deer to under 10 yards, sometimes I managed to get so close I could probably take one with a spear if I had to, maybe even bare hands.

I've noticed that my clothing makes relatively little difference. I tend to wear OD or similar, rarely camo but as far as I can tell, it's the movement that spooks deer. Sometimes the deer would sense my movement and look around, even looking straight at me but as long as I remained still (crawling or taking cover in the undergrowth seems to work best) they couldn't get a proper visual contact.

#168402 - 03/02/09 03:02 PM Re: Help Me Understand, Camo? [Re: scafool]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
My tastes are all over the place. I have tactical packs that are tan but military stuff is generally heavier. So for EDC I use a basic backpack. Mtn. Hardware currently. I usually go with muted colors like dark orange or gold with black trim. I have been thinking of pulling out my canvas messenger bag for a bit as a change of pace.

Its not difficult today to blend in with a military style pack. In fact a very neutral pack would be a cloth rucksack like those sold at Old Navy and American Eagle.

My 'camouflage' is not to be hidden but to blend in, so that people don't realize I have a lot of cool ass crap in my bag. A non-descript bag is less likely to get stolen hanging on the back of a chair or sitting next to you.

#168437 - 03/02/09 06:34 PM Re: Help Me Understand, Camo? [Re: NightHiker]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
The only real reason I would have to want camo is if I had to deliberately leave something behind, planning to come back and retrieve it. Camo would be easier to hide, and less likely to be seen than orange or hot pink or silver. Otherwise, color would seem to be more useful than not, for my purposes also.

But, the pocket sizes and arrangements supercede the color!

Sue

#168450 - 03/02/09 08:31 PM Re: Help Me Understand, Camo? [Re: Susan]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
I'm struggling to understand what the question actually is.

Sometimes survival means being seen to be rescued. Sometimes it means sneaking around bad people to get to a place of safety. Sometimes it means sufficient stealth to obtain dinner.
Sometimes it means making your goodies look a lot less desirable to 2 footed predators.

Seems to me that in general it's good to be low profile. Woodland camo BDUs aren't low-profile in town. Gray BDUs are pretty non-descript and low vis. Black looks a bit too threatening to wear very much of it for my taste.
Dark and drab colored packs and stuff are low vis.

Carrying stuff (mirrors, hunter orange hats/scarves, reversible colored clothing) to create visibility when wanted seems like the best way to go.

I prefer to be low vis except when driving.

I've detoured around unknown/hostile folks in the woods by being drab and quiet. Was glad I'd dressed low-vis that day. (outfitter known to "protect" an area of public land from the public. Would run them off at gunpoint until the Sheriff came to see him.)

#168458 - 03/02/09 09:44 PM Re: Help Me Understand, Camo? [Re: unimogbert]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

Camo is very acceptable where I live. There are subdued colors and camo everywhere. Sometimes I think I am the only one in town wearing bright colors when I do.

#168491 - 03/03/09 02:00 AM Re: Help Me Understand, Camo? [Re: ]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
Originally Posted By: Troglodyte007
Camo is very acceptable where I live. There are subdued colors and camo everywhere. Sometimes I think I am the only one in town wearing bright colors when I do.

Same here, it's nothing to walk into a restaurant or shopping mall here in Alabama and half the people in there are wearing camo. Mind you, it's not usually desert digital like my SHTF bag, but it's camo.

#168499 - 03/03/09 05:01 AM Re: Help Me Understand, Camo? [Re: 2005RedTJ]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

Dark green and brown "hoodies" are very popular among the young people here too.

#168501 - 03/03/09 05:46 AM Re: Help Me Understand, Camo? [Re: ]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
My typical hiking outfit: dark gray or blue shorts, bright orange shirt, red backpack with black trim and blue neoprene add-on pockets, light tan hat, white socks, red bandanna. If it rains, out comes my bright red rain jacket. If it gets cold, I grab the blue fleece vest (sometimes the maroon one), the brown watch cap and the cute little gray wool knit gloves with snowflakes and reindeers on them (they're woman's gloves, but they work well).

I am fashion king! But for some reason, REI has never asked me to grace the front cover of their catalogs (?) I can't figure out that snub.

#168504 - 03/03/09 11:19 AM Re: Help Me Understand, Camo? [Re: 2005RedTJ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: 2005RedTJ
Same here, it's nothing to walk into a restaurant or shopping mall here in Alabama and half the people in there are wearing camo. Mind you, it's not usually desert digital like my SHTF bag, but it's camo.

This about killed me!

Yeah, gotta love some folks. It was the same way when I lived in Missouri. "Realtree" camoflauge was rampant. No one went hunting/working/to Walmart in military camo, just overpriced civvie stuff. I don't get it. I mean, camo is camo, for the most part, right? I think hunters use camo to make up for lack of their professiency at marksmanship and stalking (this is the opinion of someone who has never hunted, but sure spooked a lot of deer)

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.