Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
#168547 - 03/03/09 06:52 PM Re: Woman dies after pair lost in backcountry [Re: Russ]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Globalstar is much more adept at promotion and spends a good deal more on it than ACR and McMurdo (who are represented by a distributor here in the U.S.), who must also spread their budget over a much wider lineup of products. Could they do a better job? Maybe, but they certainly haven't to date.

Yes, the COSPAS-SARSAT system is more robust, reliable and provides worldwide coverage, and your point is? <~> Most consumers don't care or cannot differentiate. Most consumers take the advertising at face value, end of story.

Your coverage map is not correct. Still no Hawaii. Current SPOT coverage here: http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=1200

Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#168550 - 03/03/09 07:25 PM Re: Woman dies after pair lost in backcountry [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Andrew_S Offline
Journeyman

For the average hiker, etc., it's hard to justify spending $500+ on something you intend never to use. In marketing terms SPOT is a clear winner, because of the "I'm OK" button -- now it's something that you aregoing to use -- and something your spouse, possibly, really wants you to use.

Long term, there's no question SPOT is going to be the winner in that consumer market, and Globalstar knows that to win people over, people who up to now have been unconcerned, they have to promote, promote, promote. And not only the public, but the media who are supposed to inform them are taking the advertising, as Doug says, at face value.

Leigh, you might like to think that Globalstar will get nailed with criminal charges for not sharing info, but no. Civil suits, yes. But ... you don't think they have lawyers? They promise only to call 911, tell them where you are, and tell them you need help.

I'm thinking the kind of info they're not sharing is contact info on your family, friends etc. -- info they're probably reluctant to share out of privacy concerns. But I'm guessing there. Doug, can you clarify that?

#168551 - 03/03/09 07:37 PM Re: Woman dies after pair lost in backcountry [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Thanks, the newer map does have a bit better coverage in some areas but by and large still has the same major holes.

As far as consumers not caring or being unable to differentiate, that may be true. I'm a consumer and don't do marketing. I try to get unbiased input on equipment that my life may depend upon.

That said, even with the holes in their coverage relative to the COSPAS-SARSAT system, SPOT could do a lot of good for folks who don't venture into those coverage holes -- assuming they can get the SPOT/Globalstar system to respond. Since I occasionally work in one of those holes, SPOT is not an option for me.

#168553 - 03/03/09 08:09 PM Re: Woman dies after pair lost in backcountry [Re: Doug_Ritter]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
In this case, what SAR agency would have been contacted by
a PLB and then who would have been called out to search?

#168555 - 03/03/09 09:20 PM Re: Woman dies after pair lost in backcountry [Re: clearwater]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
It's a real shame that the industry abandoned HF. A portable blank and burst HF transmitter can be heard around the world, and can be df'd and thereby fixed by enough Wullenweber sites to narrow the search area to about 1/2 a square mile. I know, because that's what I used to do for a living, tracking ruskies of course.

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.