The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#168188 - 02/28/09 06:34 AM Re: Vicodin shortage? [Re: Art_in_FL]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
You know, it's funny - I have no visual effects from Vicodin. In fact, according to folks who know me, there doesn't seem to be any coordination or other effect - it just mostly takes pain away (disclaimer - IF I take too strong a dose for the amount of pain I'm in I get sleepy)

You may remember that early this year, I spend 14 days in the hospital, and the first 12 or so of them I was on 6ml of Morphine every 4hrs. No visual effects there either, but it did tend to make me want to nap, which was a GOOD thing, as when I was alseep, I wasn't hurting
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#168192 - 02/28/09 12:46 PM Re: Vicodin shortage? [Re: KG2V]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
No Gnomes or colors with me either

#168193 - 02/28/09 12:48 PM Re: Vicodin shortage? [Re: Stu]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Hey Sue,
I think Blast needs a get well cat!
Stu

#168281 - 03/01/09 02:42 PM Re: Vicodin shortage? [Re: Arney]
red Offline

Originally Posted By: Arney

Interesting that two pharmacies that DW hit said the same thing. Were they part of the same chain? I haven't heard of any particular reason why any meds should be in short supply at the moment.

In my profession, the term "hitting the pharmacy" will get you 20 years in a fed pen. wink

Mallinckrodt, the manufacturer of several strengths of generic Lortab (Vicodin), has been on backorder for about a week now.

My guess is the doc ordered you a Vicodin 5 and those will be shipping out to wholesalers beginning March 6th. If the pharmacy was smart and had a decent inventory of high-volume product they wouldn't even feel the shortage.

And, no, it's not a sign of the times. Backorders happen all the time. A sign of the times right now is doctors' closets being empty of samples. Those eeeeeevil pharmaceutical companies have taken a beating, and are pulling back on their marketing. Now I get people complaining they can't get free meds anymore. I thought they grew on trees!

#168282 - 03/01/09 02:50 PM Re: Vicodin shortage? [Re: MDinana]
red Offline

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Ha! At least they're benign, right?

Per the Vicoden shortage, it's probably cuz all my lovely fellow Detroit citizens are hogging them. I swear, this city needs an enema, followed by Narcan in the city water supply.

If you're having that much trouble, ask the doc for Norco instead. Same active ingredient, just less acetominophen in them. 325mg per pill vs 500mg per pill. However, do realize that the daily max on tylenol is 4000mg, so if you decide to pop a few extra tylenol, do the math to add them in with whichever drug you choose!

(Plus, a Norco addict is much rarer than a vicoden addict!)

Agree with all you stated except a caveat to your last statement. Just because there are fewer addicts who know about Norco doesn't mean it isn't a red flag drug. We busted an addict doctor shopping based on my suspicions when he specifically requested Norco from the doc. Addicts like to think they are sneaky, but they stick out (usually) like a sore thumb.

Addicts who think they are smart like the Norco more due to the lower acetaminophen levels, so their livers won't konk out so fast.

Someone specifically asking for Norco can be perceived as suspicious, even if they are totally innocent. But if Blast were to tell the doc he can't get Vicoden d/t the backorder, I don't think anyone would have a problem with it.

#168283 - 03/01/09 02:54 PM Re: Vicodin shortage? [Re: kd7fqd]
red Offline

Originally Posted By: kd7fqd
Blast I have to agree with Grouch, You are supposed to be injured whilst blowing things up NOT Lymphomas (you silly twit).

Also ask for Norco next time lots less addicting than Vicodan

Mike

Sorry, Mike, but Norco is equally as addicting as Vicodin. The hydrocodone component is what is addicting, not the tylenol.

Blast, you are insane for posting pics for cat-fodder. That pic will be in the Hall of Fame forever!

#168287 - 03/01/09 03:07 PM Re: Vicodin shortage? [Re: red]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: red
A sign of the times right now is doctors' closets being empty of samples.

Ah, yes, samples! I've never gotten free samples of anything myself, but I'll occasionally see stats on them and I'm always amazed at just how many doses of various drugs are given out free every year.

Besides pharma companies cutting back on giving out free samples, I've been reading articles about more and more people really cutting back on their meds--pill splitting, skipping days, etc.--and for some, free samples from their physician help some patients get through a month so I'm not surprised that physician offices would be cleaned out of free samples.

#168318 - 03/01/09 07:57 PM Re: Vicodin shortage? [Re: Arney]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
I wonder how much all of those the free samples raise the price for paying customers. Free just means that someone other than the recipient pays for it.

#168326 - 03/01/09 09:18 PM Re: Vicodin shortage? [Re: Grouch]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Grouch
I wonder how much all of those the free samples raise the price for paying customers. Free just means that someone other than the recipient pays for it.

The incremental cost of producing all those free samples is a pittance compared to the profit generated by your typical blockbuster prescription drug. Don't think of pharmaceuticals like a manufactured product like a car, where there's a cost of raw materials plus production plus a percentage for profit. Think of pharmaceuticals more like intellectual property, like software. Once you've paid a bunch of people to develop a computer program, there isn't much difference between making 1,000 copies or a million copies.

Generics are a different situation, but physicians aren't generally given tons of free samples of generics.

#168338 - 03/02/09 12:40 AM Re: Vicodin shortage? [Re: Arney]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Seeing things while taking vicodin... hmmm you may have other problems wink

All kidding aside... if you don't have addictive tendencies you`ll be fine. I had to take it for a couple months after an ATV accident. My biggest piece of advice is don't just take more and more if it stops working 'good' ease OFF of it for a couple days then it will work better. Obviously if you are in such serious pain that you can't ease off for relief in a couple days then you need to take more or up your dosage. Try to get them to get you something with only 375mg of Tylenol instead of the standard 500. It's stupid that in the USA they require it to be mixed.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.