The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#16796 - 06/18/03 01:00 PM Re: Aron Ralston Threatens Doug and ETS
Casual_Hero Offline

Loc: England & Saudi Arabia
Dear All,

This debate is going to run and run and run. You can all see from my earlier posts that I support Doug, but can we now ship this topic over to campfire (where it probably belongs) because its probably giving first-time visitors a very jaded view of the site. Anyone else agree?

#16797 - 06/18/03 01:06 PM Re: Aron Ralston Threatens Doug and ETS
Anonymous
Unregistered

What he said!

#16798 - 06/18/03 01:10 PM Re: Aron Ralston Threatens Doug and ETS
Casual_Hero Offline

Loc: England & Saudi Arabia
Sorry, I don't understand that reply.

#16799 - 06/18/03 01:37 PM Re: Aron Ralston Threatens Doug and ETS
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Scott,

Thanks for the suggestion;I agree with most of it. There are a number of issues involved, including ensuring that the discussion is readily available to those who are coming looking to participate as word spreads of this brouhaha. I have an idea, however...
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#16800 - 06/18/03 01:55 PM Re: Aron Ralston Threatens Doug and ETS
Anonymous
Unregistered

it was just a basic "Me Too" or "I second that thought" type of slang reply. Sorry for the confusion. (I think that there is probably a hollywood reference I could find to excuse it but why bother)

#16801 - 06/18/03 06:34 PM Re: What is the lawsuit really about
Anonymous
Unregistered

Did you see the actual page the cease & desist letter was referring to? It was pulled because it was an advertisement for particular items for sale and used his name. I saw the page myself. Even if ETS is not selling the item, they own this website and I'm sure that's who they needed to contact. Besides if you read the letter it says to stop using his name. This is being blown way out of proportion.

#16802 - 06/18/03 07:21 PM Re: What is the lawsuit really about
Anonymous
Unregistered

1) ETS does not produce or sell any products and therefore does not advertise products.

2) I don't believe that ETS has pulled the article. this article is still posted and can be found rather easily on this site. If you are referring to the presentation that was given by Mr. Ritter, I have never seen that posted to this site. I believe, from reading the letter from Mr. Ralstons attorney, that was an oral presentation so we only have accounts of what was contained therein. I would suspect that it held to the same tone and content as the article referenced above.

3) The use of Mr. Ralstons name was in relation to a technology not a product. This is identical to saying that Mr. Ralston will soon not have to walk to work because cars have been invented. We are not talking about Fords but cars. This doesn't give any manufacturer or retailer even any incidental advertising. When discussing new technologies it is useful to give examples of why such technologies will or could improve our lives.

To the side, please check your facts and stop this barrage of mis-information. If you can refute the above facts do so specifically else you don't have any more of a case the Mr. Ralston and his attorney.

Mr. Ritter, If I am in error and there is an article which contradicts my assertions then I will appologize for my adversarial tone.

In any case, further discussion on this without specific quotes and details will not come from me.

#16803 - 06/18/03 08:42 PM Sorry just my opinion.
Anonymous
Unregistered

You're right. It won't be decided here and I'm wasting my time trying to make those who are in favor of the page see it the way I do. I think it is sad what happened to Aron and it just made me even sadder that his name was used in this fashion. I should have known better than to go up against a bunch of men in a survival forum. It's like going up against a starving lion. I do think it's silly to make PERSONAL comments about a man you know nothing about. I know it is freedom of speech but none the less it's just mean. When I did a search for Aron Ralston and found this page I guess I had no idea what I was up against. I was just trying to stick up for a man who quit his corporate job to live his life doing what I believe most people on this site like to do, climb. He dedicated a good portion of his life (and I'm sure he will continue to) to helping others survive and he just gets slammed because he made a mistake. I'm sure no one knows it more than he does. If he could take back that day, I'm sure he would. Fact is, he got pinned and he did what he had to do. I think his is the ultimate survivor story and it's a shame to see people judge him as being an idiot. Sorry just my opinion.

#16804 - 06/19/03 12:30 AM Re: Aron Ralston Threatens Doug and ETS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Doug,
I'm sorry that you have a problem with someone speaking out against you but look at your posts. You got a lot of attention as a result. That's why I am here. This site came up first in a search for "Aron Ralston". You made the comment right on your page "Aron Ralston Threatens Doug Ritter" What did he do? Pull out his pocket knife and point it at you? A more realistic title would have been Aron Ralston's Lawyer brings law suit against ETS. The one you have is a little dramatic don't you think? And then reply to the lawyer in such an incredibly ridiculous fashion "stick it where the sun don't shine" Come on Doug. Then you state
"A reminder that this is a Family Friendly web site and that profanity and personal attacks on forum members are not acceptable. Let's keep the discussion of Aron Ralston on a civil level." You're not setting a very good example. I won't be posting or bothering with this site any more. It's one thing to have a healthy discussion, even if it is a disagreement, it's another to act the way several of the people on this list are acting. I have enough children of my own I don't need to argue with more. This has been a waste of my time and obviously yours as well. You won't even have a civil conversation with me. I'm sorry and I won't bother you again.

#16805 - 06/19/03 12:32 AM Re: Aron Ralston Threatens Doug and ETS
Anonymous
Unregistered

This time I am REALLY sorry. I meant to send that to Doug not the list. I don't want to get anyone worked up. I have a feeling that with the exception of the Aron Ralston bashing this is a good site with great information. It's a shame this whole thing happened. Peace and good climbing.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.