Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#168730 - 03/05/09 03:42 PM Re: Milkman Brand no longer available [Re: scafool]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yep, that's the routine right there.

#262055 - 07/24/13 07:24 PM Re: Milkman Brand no longer available [Re: benjammin]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Oh happy days. Milkman brand dry powdered milk is once again on the market.

I was perusing the local REI, lo and behold there were two boxes of packets sitting on the bottom shelf below all the Mountain House bags. I snagged them and ran for the checkout. Looking on the REI website, they are temporarily out of stock. A quick websearch and it looks like packetgourmet is selling them. For $3.99 per packet, which makes one quart, it is not economical, but it is the only powdered milk I have tried that I care for.

I suppose Nido brand would be okay. I need to give it a try I suppose. But now that Milkman is back (being made by marronfoods.com now, though you won't find it on their website), I am a happy boy once again.

#262056 - 07/24/13 08:35 PM Re: Milkman Brand no longer available [Re: benjammin]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Good news if you like milk! Personally I'm not a big fan of the stuff. Humans are one of the few animals that normally drink milk again after being weaned, and that's primarily Western people. I like cheese but plain milk doesn't do much for me.

#262057 - 07/24/13 08:43 PM Re: Milkman Brand no longer available [Re: Phaedrus]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Ditto. Some (definitely not all) cheese and I do my coffee as a latte', but that's about it for milk.

#262140 - 07/27/13 06:30 PM Re: Milkman Brand no longer available [Re: benjammin]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

I grew up drinking milk, and I developed quite a taste for it. Sometimes it quenches my thirst better than anything.

Sometimes it's a beer. Depends on the mood, and the occasion.

#262147 - 07/28/13 02:36 AM Re: Milkman Brand no longer available [Re: ]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
In the past, on cold or rainy nights, I would make home made cocoa. I still have the recipe somewhere.

Jeanette Isabelle

#262151 - 07/28/13 02:23 PM Re: Milkman Brand no longer available [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
A lot of peeps drink milk for the calcium thinking it's a good source -- only if you're an infant. From what I've learned, milk breaks down acidic in your system and forces the body to pull other minerals out to get your blood to a more normal ph. Calcium is one of the most readily available and your bones are the source. From what I've read online, google is your friend.

Broccoli is a better nutritional source of calcium.

FWIW

#262160 - 07/28/13 04:56 PM Re: Milkman Brand no longer available [Re: ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Too funny!

I guess some things you just get used to. I also enjoy a big glass of buttermilk once in a while. Something else I picked up from Grandad. Not exactly a thirst quencher, more like how some folks enjoy a milkshake I suppose. It tends to gross out the rest of the family. But when I use it to make strawberry banana smoothies (with a little honey added), they don't seem to have any problem.

Any opinions on the consumption of buttermilk?

#262171 - 07/29/13 02:36 AM Re: Milkman Brand no longer available [Re: benjammin]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl

Beer contains zero fat while milk is full of fat.
Beer is not contaminated with hormones or antibiotics. But milk is loaded with a wild variety of the pesticides and antibiotics fed to cows.
Beer has no cholesterol. In every 8-oz. serving, milk holds 20 mg of cholesterol.
beer is better for you than milk
Beer contains only 12 mg of sodium in one serving while milk is loaded with it.
In every 12-oz. serving, beer holds 3 grams of complex carbohydrates. Milk contains zero complex carbohydrates.
In every cup, beer contains a half gram of fiber. Milk has zero fiber.

According to the American Heart Association, milk is linked to diabetes, heart disease, cancer, asthma, strokes, allergies, iron deficiency, and the common cold. Recent studies have also shown that milk consumption may cause osteoporosis.

"It is vital to understand that milk is useless against osteoporosis, so that people will understand what really does help. Milk is no substitute for exercise, avoiding animal protein and sodium that deplete calcium, and other factors," says Neal D. Barnard, M.D., president of Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. Over a 12-year period, the Harvard Nurses' Health Study revealed that milk-drinkers had more bone breaks than women who rarely drink milk.

#262172 - 07/29/13 05:59 AM Re: Milkman Brand no longer available [Re: nursemike]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Interesting statistics.

I drink milk because I like it. I never said it was healthy. LOL

I drink beer for much the same reason.

In fact, most everything I consume I do because I like it.

Funny how different authorities espouse and cite different statistics, usually in contradiction to other authorities.

Take coffee for instance. I've been drinking coffee for a long time. Occasionally I hear some authority say coffee is bad, then later I hear another say it is okay, and yet again another will say it is good for you.

I say drink/eat what you like. Do so in moderation, and try to have a sense of variety. Everyday I hear about some health nut in his 50s who keeled over from a heat attack, or was diagnosed with cancer, or run over by a car. Almost as often I come across someone in their 80s that is smoking, 50 lbs overweight, and, believe it or not, still drink milk. Go figure.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 258 Guests and 120 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.