The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#167729 - 02/24/09 04:39 AM Re: Goodbye OBG [Re: ki4buc]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
I never actually met you, but Via Con Dios. We lost a fellow offroader last year to cancer. He was just a little over 20 years old. He never once got down about his situation, he was always smiling when you saw him. We all chipped in and rebuilt his Jeep for him with the help of a couple of local 4x4 shops. So many people showed up to work on it, it was amazing. The shops donated free parts, labor, everything.

We delivered it to him at the hospital, I actually got to be the one to drive it there. The look on his face when he saw it said it all. He actually got to ride in it one time before he passed away.

His last wish was for everyone in our local club to come to the funeral in jeans and club t-shirts and drive our rigs in the funeral. Most of the folks had never seen a rock-crawling buggy, full exo-cage, on 39" tires in a funeral procession. I had his dad toss a Spicer universal joint from my Jeep in the grave before it was filled in. Spicer brand is tough stuff, but nowhere near as tough as Zach was.

I still get really sad when I see a thread on our local forum with his posts in it. But I know he's in a better place and is no longer in pain.

#167730 - 02/24/09 04:45 AM Re: Goodbye OBG [Re: ki4buc]
digimark Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chesapeake Beach, MD
OBG: I'm devastated by your news. I've only been participating in ETS Forums for a short time, but I've looked forward to your postings -- you always had a smile or a unique insight to offer, and I see you, Blast, Ironraven, Wildman800 and several others as the mentors of our discussion.

You're now facing the one, final adventure we will all face sooner than we will want, and I hope you find comfort in knowing the positive impact you've had on us here. I will raise a glass of cheer to you and wish for you calm seas, a fair wind at your back and a bright star to sail towards. We'll see you soon.

#167731 - 02/24/09 04:54 AM Re: Goodbye OBG [Re: digimark]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Re: hiking staffs
OldBaldGuy
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
My Dad used to smoke a pipe, and carried a bunch of kitchen matches in his front pants pocket. One day they all ignited, you can imagine what got singed!!<br><br>

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote Notify Email Post

OBG Post #1 of 5704

Knowledge and Humor.....

With Class.

RIP OBG

#167740 - 02/24/09 09:33 AM Re: Goodbye OBG [Re: Desperado]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
I don't know OBG outside of this forum but I always look(ed) forward to his insightful and humorous contributions. With that said, I find myself getting surprisingly wistful while reading this thread and I miss him already. frown

I'm not giving up though, since doctors can be wrong and people can overcome tremendous obstacles. If OBG returns, it will be a glorious event! If not, he will live on here and in the memories of each of us who were lucky enough to share this space with him. smile

#167742 - 02/24/09 11:13 AM Re: Goodbye OBG [Re: Loganenator]
LoneWolf Offline

I haven't the words. We never met, but I still feel like you are friend that I have come to know.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

LW

#167769 - 02/24/09 04:12 PM Re: Goodbye OBG [Re: LoneWolf]
ChristinaRodriguez Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Rhode Island
Thank you, OBG, for all that you've contributed to this forum. We've all appreciated having you here. Best of luck with this next stage of your life; our thoughts and prayers will be with you during this difficult time.

#167785 - 02/24/09 06:00 PM Re: Goodbye OBG [Re: ChristinaRodriguez]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Having re-read for the 2nd or 3rd time this thread, after the other one froze-up, I wonder if there's any way for OBG to read how he's touched all of us?

He mentioned in that last post that he wouldn't be back, so I ownder if he's even seeing these posts. For the moderators, is there any way to track down his DW and have a print out of all these well wishes sent? Perhaps be bought from or donated to ETS over the years? There should be some delivery address if so.

OBG, like the rest here, I'm going to miss your insights - "Sea daddy" sums it up nicely. Every time I'm back home with my parents I wonder if you're the old guy driving an RV whenever I pass one. I caught myself today reading something and waiting for your thoughts on the topic. Your absence is already being noticed.

#167802 - 02/24/09 07:47 PM Re: Goodbye OBG [Re: MDinana]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The control panel above the forums has a MEMBER box.
By clicking this you can see who was last online.
OBG has been on a few times.
I don't know if he can type or return messages, but he sees them.

#167804 - 02/24/09 07:48 PM Re: Goodbye OBG [Re: MDinana]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Having re-read for the 2nd or 3rd time this thread, after the other one froze-up, I wonder if there's any way for OBG to read how he's touched all of us?

He mentioned in that last post that he wouldn't be back, so I ownder if he's even seeing these posts. For the moderators, is there any way to track down his DW and have a print out of all these well wishes sent? Perhaps be bought from or donated to ETS over the years? There should be some delivery address if so.

OBG, like the rest here, I'm going to miss your insights - "Sea daddy" sums it up nicely. Every time I'm back home with my parents I wonder if you're the old guy driving an RV whenever I pass one. I caught myself today reading something and waiting for your thoughts on the topic. Your absence is already being noticed.

I agree that OBG touched many, and am glad you thought of this. I have OBG's email, and assume that it is shared with his wife. I have made a PDF copy of the two threads and shall forward them to said address.

EDIT: Maybe I better talk to the Moderators and Doug first. I really don't want to step on any toes with this.

I will email Doug and hit notify for Mods.

Edited by Desperado (02/24/09 07:59 PM)

RIP OBG

#167814 - 02/24/09 08:32 PM Re: Goodbye OBG [Re: Blast]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
Perhaps a donation to the ETS foundation in his memory would also not be out of the question.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.