Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#167743 - 02/24/09 11:49 AM Re: Panic and the Crowd That Comes With It [Re: TrailDemon]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
This happens every time here when we get a major storm (this year, we have had 6 good ones). They close all non-essential businesses, and roads are clogged for hours. Of course, when its snowing over an inch an hour, for 6-8 hours, navigation isnt easy. And, there's two kinds of drivers primarily on the road; those who think 4WD allows them to do the speed limit, despite the weather conditions, and those that drive 3 miles an hour, causing issues because people have to go around them. The first time, I left when the office closed; it took me 4 hours to go 25 miles. Every time after that, I simply waited an hour or so, then took back roads, and was home in an hour. Personally, I think the majority of SUV drivers are more of a liability on the road, as the drivers dont know how to control it (nor do they understand exactly what 4WD does...). And, it happens every single snowstorm...people have to relearn how to drive in the snow!

#167744 - 02/24/09 11:50 AM Re: Panic and the Crowd That Comes With It [Re: Dagny]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dagny
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Thats impressive they were calm in DC, in Columbus OH people were crazy.

Maybe we were all in shock.

And the roads were jammed leaving town, it was either go slow or drive on the wrong side of the road.

Cell phones hardly worked for a couple hours, a scary time for parents whose kids were in school or day care.

I osted here before but my wife worked in a 30some story building downtown and we carpoooled because there was a several year wait list for parking. Land line phones didn't work either so I was able to e-mail her and told her to get on broad steet and stay on the south side and walk east torward home and I'd get there eventually and circle around and drive on that side and pick her up. hew law firm quietly evecuated all the lawyers and then finall let the staff go so she was one of the last to leave, they all got to watch everyone else in the area fill the streets.

#167747 - 02/24/09 01:01 PM Re: Panic and the Crowd That Comes With It [Re: Eugene]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC

And the roads were jammed leaving town, it was either go slow or drive on the wrong side of the road.

Cell phones hardly worked for a couple hours, a scary time for parents whose kids were in school or day care.

I osted here before but my wife worked in a 30some story building downtown and we carpoooled because there was a several year wait list for parking. Land line phones didn't work either so I was able to e-mail her and told her to get on broad steet and stay on the south side and walk east torward home and I'd get there eventually and circle around and drive on that side and pick her up. hew law firm quietly evecuated all the lawyers and then finall let the staff go so she was one of the last to leave, they all got to watch everyone else in the area fill the streets.

I may have asked this before, but does she still work for that firm? I worked for two different firms one on 9/11 and another during the blackout of 2003. In both, the lawyers were almost all male and much of the staff were women over 50. In both cases, the lawyers stuck around trying to make sure the staff was going to be ok. The captain and officers are not suppose to abandon the ship before the crew. Of course, both were admiralty firms with lawyers that had served at sea.

#167750 - 02/24/09 01:32 PM Re: Panic and the Crowd That Comes With It [Re: Dan_McI]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yeah, I take the train. I can jog 15 minutes from the station to home, I can walk 5 minutes from the station to work. If it is bad enough that the trains aren't running, I can camp out at one of the fine hotel establishments here downtown, currently running on average less than 60% occupancy. I have an in with the Courtyard Mariott here that would pretty much gaurantee I would have an overnight place to stay and preference. All I have to do is make a quick phone call.

Worse comes to worse, I can always sleep under my desk if need be.

#167780 - 02/24/09 05:24 PM Re: Panic and the Crowd That Comes With It [Re: Dan_McI]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dan_McI

I may have asked this before, but does she still work for that firm? I worked for two different firms one on 9/11 and another during the blackout of 2003. In both, the lawyers were almost all male and much of the staff were women over 50. In both cases, the lawyers stuck around trying to make sure the staff was going to be ok. The captain and officers are not suppose to abandon the ship before the crew. Of course, both were admiralty firms with lawyers that had served at sea.

We both hanged jobs shortly afterward. She had started school part time because that law firm treated her like crap partly due to her not having a college degree. She then went on to school full time as I got a better job afterward too. I made several changes between then and now to make us better prepared. We live and work outside the city now which makes us much less vulerable to the traffic for example.

#167796 - 02/24/09 07:00 PM Re: Panic and the Crowd That Comes With It [Re: oldsoldier]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I would rather see them driving slow than fast.
Slow drivers don't do as much damage when they run into you.

I agree with the wait it out when the roads are bad and traffic is heavy too.

#167843 - 02/25/09 12:36 AM Re: Panic and the Crowd That Comes With It [Re: scafool]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Slow drivers cause others to swerve around them, usually in anger or frustration. This can cause them to lose control, and cause an accident. I have seen it many, many times (as I am sure you have too, up there in alberta). I agree, I'd rather be hit by someone doing 5, than 55, but there is danger in going too slow as well.

#167875 - 02/25/09 12:50 PM Re: Panic and the Crowd That Comes With It [Re: oldsoldier]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
My eye-opener for this scenario came when I was still commuting 80 miles a day roundtrip for work. There was an accident that closed I-95 about 3 miles from the exit (in either direction) and so we got to sit for 90 minutes unable to move. It turned into a block party of sorts, with people sitting on their cars talking (late spring, so it was warm). I got out my CB and fired it up so that I could find out when the road opened back up (we did not have visual on the closure) and pass the word. It was a good old time. But ever since I have carried more equipment to deal with such an event. Because next time it could be cold, or snowy, or we could be there for a lot longer.
Fortunately, I have a much shorter drive now and I don't need to get on the interstate for it. I still have all the gear. Between my car trunk and my desk drawers I can camp out in the office comfortably for a couple days (which is also handy in case of Delta).
Snow is also a panic-inducer here in MD. I tend to keep my truck in 2WD until I need more just because it keeps me focused. When I switch into 4WD I switch my strategies too, since the physics rules for the operation have just changed. My biggest concern at that point is the guy in the '88 Caprice doing donuts down the road as he tries to regain control...

#167982 - 02/26/09 03:06 PM Re: Panic and the Crowd That Comes With It [Re: Dagny]
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA

But a snow forecast does get the mobs rushing to the grocery in a panic over running out of milk-eggs-toilet paper. That is a curious phenomenon.

Same stuff happens in Dallas-Ft Worth, except that the grocery story panic is over milk-bread-meat-disposable diapers.

The ridiculus part of all this is not knowing the weather conditions. Dallas could be shut down for 48-72 hours when snow/ice hits. If one doesn't have enough food/water/medicine for 2 - 4 days then they are simply clueless about a lot of things in life.

#168025 - 02/26/09 08:07 PM Re: Panic and the Crowd That Comes With It [Re: BrianTexas]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

looks like the upper mid-west--Minneapolis--is in for the same right now..heavy snow that started around noon..the drive home will be a dog fight..

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 400 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.