The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#167695 - 02/23/09 11:41 PM Panic and the Crowd That Comes With It
NorCalDennis Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Sierra Foothills, Nor Cal
I thought I would chime in with a recent event in our community that showed my wife and I how unpreparred and (for lack of a more thoughtful term) completely brain dead the community at large is when a severe event occurs.

We live north and east of the Sacramento Area in a somewhat rural but moderately populated area at about 2200 ft elevation. Two weeks ago at about 4:00PM a large storm cell passed over our area immediately dumping several inches of snow very quickly right near the end of the work day.

My wife and I both believe that we are fairly well prepared people and would calmly manage most situations - which we did in this situation. A quick check of the National Weather Service ( www.noaa.gov )showed that this dumping of snow would pass over shortly. My wife called me just after 5PM to tell me that her three routes home were completely impacted by stopped traffic and that she was to stay with friends near her work until things loosened up. I work about 4 miles away, and looking out my store window could see that all major arteries in our community were at a complete standstill.

What a major portion of the general public decided to do (foolishly) was 'try to beat the storm home'. The end result was a mass of people who were not usually on the road at that time were added to the traffic count AND they were unprepared for the conditions they drove into. Fortunately, no one was hurt seriously, but there were countless spin-outs, fender benders, and people simply abandoning their two wheel drive (no chain carrying) vehicles barely off the side of the road. All traffic on all primary and secondary routes throughout the community were impassible for over 1 1/2 hours purely because of the vehicle load and not because to the snow.

This post is not meant as a rant because 'me and mine' were inconvenienced by this - it's not. We simply sat tight and arrived home safely only slightly later that we usually would have made it home. What I realized by this mess is that ALL primary emergency services (Police, Fire, EMT) were also at a complete standstill and could not respond should a serious crisis or accident occurred; ALL utility providers could not respond to downed power lines, gas leaks etc, because of this mess.

I guess what bothers me is that: the complete stupidity of so many people at once could have caused loss of life and did cause power not to be restored to several areas for hours longer than it could have been restored.

What is frightening to my wife and I is that this was a small incident that ditn't require much thinking on what one should do in a situation like this and our community failed misserably. What will happen should a more serious incident occur?

In a double-blind field poll (OK, so it was just about everyone who came into my store the next day) almost all persons stuck in traffic saw themselves as observers incovenienced by others and not part of the inconvenience.

I can only imagine what will happen when more a serious incident occurs; and look for better ways on having my family prepare to stay out of the thick of things.

Any thoughts or similar stories here? Are there steps you have taken to avoid the mass of panic-ridden public who will be a danger on the road?

#167700 - 02/24/09 12:36 AM Re: Panic and the Crowd That Comes With It [Re: NorCalDennis]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
I'd like to say I bought a helicopter.

Instead, I live within walking distance of work.

The roads around here can't even handle rush hour, let alone a "panic." I don't know how you avoid it other than having the option and capacity to shelter-in and stay off the road.

We did have a test-run on September 11, 2001. Considering the Pentagon was burning, news reports were saying the State Department and White House complex had been hit and police were yelling at people to RUN-RUN-RUNNNNNN!! away from the Capitol and White House because of incoming aircraft....DC drivers reacted rather well.

No panic that I saw. Drivers were orderly, obeyed traffic lights. In those first few hours, people were freaked wondering when the next wave of the attack would start and where it would hit. But instead of panic I saw immediately that drivers were quite calm, intent on the news and rolling down their windows to share news with strangers on the sidewalk

But a snow forecast does get the mobs rushing to the grocery in a panic over running out of milk-eggs-toilet paper. That is a curious phenomenon.

#167705 - 02/24/09 12:54 AM Re: Panic and the Crowd That Comes With It [Re: Dagny]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
It seems to me that:

People panic when pressure is exerted and they are not confident in their knowledge of what they should be doing, while they however are still capable of doing something.

When real catastrophe's occur, those who are likely to panic often lapse into stunned immobility, kind of like shock. This leaves the way clear for others willing to act.

Some of these others might be in a panic, however, they seem to be those who have been through some crap without panic and are often both capable and willing to follow someone who seems to know what to do. I think this is often our best hope.

#167708 - 02/24/09 01:02 AM Re: Panic and the Crowd That Comes With It [Re: Dagny]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: Dagny
...snip...But a snow forecast does get the mobs rushing to the grocery in a panic over running out of milk-eggs-toilet paper. That is a curious phenomenon.

You forgot Bread

One of my friends calls this panic reaction "The French Toast" reaction - you're buying the makings of French Toast
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#167709 - 02/24/09 01:03 AM Re: Panic and the Crowd That Comes With It [Re: Dagny]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thats impressive they were calm in DC, in Columbus OH people were crazy. I saw someone in on of those little parking lots where you give the attendant your keys and they park your car couldn't get thier car out so they looked in the booth and found the keys of the car blocking them in and then pulled it out of the way and on to the sidewalk and just left it running with the door open while they got back in their car and drove away. No one was obeying traffic lights and we were some of the last to leave since my wife's employer didn't evacuate the staff until the higher ups were all out of the building.
Snow storms are just as bad, people either try to still go faster than the speed limit or drive half of it in between two lanes blocking both of them.

#167710 - 02/24/09 01:22 AM Re: Panic and the Crowd That Comes With It [Re: Eugene]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I forget where you live but it's snowing at 2200ft today in the Sierras? Really? It's been raining and I`m almost at 4,000ft in the Sierras near Tahoe.

#167711 - 02/24/09 01:23 AM Re: Panic and the Crowd That Comes With It [Re: Todd W]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Oh, and Dennis it took me 3hrs to get to the valley from my house (1hr) ~2 weeks ago when a storm came in at night. No less than 5 people spun out / stopped on the side of the road 2 of which < 1 mile road, and two had to be turned around as they had no idea how to drive in the snow!! It was amazingly ridiculous.

#167721 - 02/24/09 02:35 AM Re: Panic and the Crowd That Comes With It [Re: Eugene]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Thats impressive they were calm in DC, in Columbus OH people were crazy.

Maybe we were all in shock.

And the roads were jammed leaving town, it was either go slow or drive on the wrong side of the road.

Cell phones hardly worked for a couple hours, a scary time for parents whose kids were in school or day care.

#167735 - 02/24/09 06:06 AM Re: Panic and the Crowd That Comes With It [Re: Dagny]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

I learned to make sure I had not only enough water in my vehicle but ACCESSIBLE to me while sitting and waiting... also enough fuel. When the commute is 1hr and there is only fuel at the start and end of your journey... plan for these waits.

#167737 - 02/24/09 07:52 AM Re: Panic and the Crowd That Comes With It [Re: Todd W]
TrailDemon Offline

Loc: BC, CANADA
this is one of the main reasons that i left vancouver,bc.
i was sitting in gridlocked traffic one day, cursing at the traffic, when i realized how chaotic it would be if something really bad happened...

for example.. a power outage over a week...
i don't know a SINGLE person who has an alternate form of heat, like a propane heater. or a propane burner to boil water, for that matter. its' really scary...

after my awakening 'vision' 2 years ago, i sold my home and left vancouver for the interior. i am still looking for a suitable BIL retreat with a small piece of land.

it also scared the hell outta me when friends, who think im insane btw, said they would come to me if SHTF for help... these 'friends' still don't know my current location, and i doubt i'll ever tell them where i buy land. they freaked me out.

peace
al

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.