Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#167581 - 02/22/09 08:04 PM Re: Watches? [Re: Tom_L]
timo Offline

I'm glad this topic came up. I've grown tired of the multi-gesticulation of using my cell phone as a watch. Unholstering, reholstering, unclipping, reclipping etc.

So after years of watchlessness I've placed my original Casio G-Shock back into service.

However...I've always wanted a Rolex Submariner and someday I'll treat myself to one. The Sea Dweller is also very nice. I'll never have a problem justifying it (to myself at least) because as MedB points out, there is satisfaction in owning something you know is well made, waterproof, durable and lets face it, looks great now and will always look good. The Submariner is simply an excellent example of great industrial design.

In the meantime I've remembered another "classic" from my youthful yearnings that also happens to share many of the above mentioned attributes. The Seiko SKX007 divers watch. It's been around forever, looks great, is durable and perhaps more to the point, is easily replaceable. In my recent research I came across yet another Seiko line. The "5" series has a nice "military" model that's even more affordable than the SKX007 diver. Either of these is automatic too. So very soon I'll be EDCing one of these two affordable alternatives to the Rolex.

#167582 - 02/22/09 08:10 PM Re: Watches? [Re: Markok765]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Up until a couple of months ago, for the last 12 years I have used 2 Timex Ironman/Triathlon watches. The first watch is in the bottom of a 300' deep lake....don't ask how. The second watch which I purchased in March 2003 still works fine, however the face face is too scratched up for everyday use. In early Janurary of this year, I put a new battery in the watch and it now is spending time (no pun intended) as a backup in the BOB.

I wanted to buy another Timex Ironman, however with our dollar taking a beating against most foreign currencies, the price point is way too high right now. A friend has worn a Armitron brand watch for a couple of years and of which he gave some good feedback on. I purchased a Armitron model 40/8152BKGN which has essentially the same functions and features and....almost 1/3 the price of the Ironman.

With this new watch, so far, so good. I like the bigger face diameter and bigger numbers. Also having the actual day of week along the very top of the face with the date number in the middle of the watch and just below the time makes for easier reference then the Ironman. Also the functions are easier to set and adjust then the Ironman.

The only downside (comaparitively speaking) is the light is not as bright as the Timex Indiglo system.

Time will tell how the watch holds up over the next few years.

#167583 - 02/22/09 08:14 PM Re: Watches? [Re: ]
CSG Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Idaho
WIS = Watch Idiot Savant. It was a term coined, I believe, on one of the TimeZone forums regarding people so into watches they barely knew the time. So to speak...

As far as Rolex's in particular, if you own one, you understand. If not, wear whatever you damn want, I don't care. wink

#167586 - 02/22/09 08:36 PM Re: Watches? [Re: CSG]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

I got a casio watch, a fairly simple model, which is relatively inexpensive, has everything i need and i don't mind scratching it. It's also a lot thinner and smaller then some more expensive watches, so it won't catch on anything.

#167587 - 02/22/09 09:03 PM Re: Watches? [Re: Tjin]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Suunto wrist computer (multiple time zones, altimeter, barometer, compass) or a Seiko divers watch (had it for 22 years now, traded in a Rolex for it).

Why? reliability, waterproof, durability and ability to read at night. The batteries have lasted for years in each, so as long as I put fresh batteries in before I am gone for an extended period, I am good.

When in field environments, I generally wear the watches on a breast pocket (through a button hole if there is one) because I hate it being on my wrist.

#167588 - 02/22/09 09:05 PM Re: Watches? [Re: Tjin]
dkhoe Offline
Stranger

I have a citizen eco drive chrono. Never needs batteries! You can pick up last years models on ebay for 50-70% off. I also just got the casio solar atomic watch. Very impressed with that one also.

#167589 - 02/22/09 09:30 PM Re: Watches? [Re: dkhoe]
THIRDPIG Offline
Journeyman

Proud to say I don't own a watch . I see little need to strap a clock to my body , although seems to work for Flavor Flav.....

#167591 - 02/22/09 09:37 PM Re: Watches? [Re: dkhoe]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Well, my first platoon sergeant set my preference on watches for life. He refused to allow digital watches due to the "BEEP Factor". He didn't want anyone with a watch that could "beep" giving up a position in the field. As such, he got all of us issued the true official issue watch. Tritium markings and all. It was considered part of our TA-50 gear and had to be turned in when we PCS'd.

Since then I have been partial to the Luminox watches.

RIP OBG

#167598 - 02/22/09 10:59 PM Re: Watches? [Re: Desperado]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I miss my military watch...the older ones, similar to what desperado is talking about. I got a cheap knockoff one, the glass lasted a week. Since then, I use Timex Expedition analog watches exclusively. They are cheap, dependable, and do what I need them to do; tell time. The indiglo is bright enough to use to illuminate my immediate area. For $25, if I trash one every 2 years, I am OK with that.

#167601 - 02/23/09 12:21 AM Re: Watches? [Re: oldsoldier]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I kind of switch. Usually a S&W Tritium watch (sorta like the "SEAL watch" from Luminox), or a no-name swap-meet watch. Otherwise, I have a Wegner basic model, or when I'm really dressing up, a Citizen Eco Drive (LOVE IT). It was a "gift" to myself last May. I probably didn't have the money for it.

Speaking of official issue watches, are the watches on Countycomm the same as issued, or is it just hype?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.