The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#167565 - 02/22/09 05:44 PM Watches?
Markok765 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Canada
What watches do you wear? Why did you choose that one?

#167566 - 02/22/09 05:57 PM Re: Watches? [Re: Markok765]
CSG Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Idaho
I'm a WIS so I have many watches but the two I wear the most are a Rolex SS Sub date and SS GMT II. Both are rugged, accurate, easy to read, and self-winding.

#167567 - 02/22/09 06:04 PM Re: Watches? [Re: CSG]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Pardon me while I show my ignorance...

What is a WIS?

RIP OBG

#167568 - 02/22/09 06:12 PM Re: Watches? [Re: Markok765]
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

I'm not really a watch expert, but the kind I've been wearing for over a year, and what I've been happy with, is a cheap Coleman NightSight model.

It's got a big face, luminous hands, and a light button that isn't too bright and fades out nice and easy after a few seconds. Pretty nice for when I'm in the dark and lonely parts of the factory I work at. Simple, easy to use, and at about 20 bucks at Target certainly within everyone's budget.

I'm open to seeing what everyone else wears and what they can suggest to others, too. Knowing the Coleman can't last forever, I may be in the market to look for a watch that's more reliable... cool

#167572 - 02/22/09 06:53 PM Re: Watches? [Re: ]
MedB Offline

Just to head this off at the pass...

Before someone makes the comment about why Rolex etc? Remember that fine watches, like custom knives etc are one of those things where, at a certain point, you stop paying for better performance.

The fact of the matter is, a true masterpiece of a custom knife will not cut any better, nor will a fine watch tell the time any better, than it's cheaper counterparts. But the satisfaction from owning something handcrafted, the pride of owning something that's "best of breed", and the appreciation of true master craftsmanship keep these sorts of products perpetually in demand.

Personally, I am not at a place in my life where I can afford to own the best of everything. But there are one or two places in my life where I do try and indulge myself. Thankfully I have avoided being bitten by the watch bug thus far. Hopefully I shall continue to be that lucky... -smile-

#167574 - 02/22/09 07:24 PM Re: Watches? [Re: MedB]
powerring Offline

I wear a Casio Pathfinder PAW-1200. They're solar powered, have atomic clock time-syncing, and are tough as nails like the G-Shocks. Mine has the compass and triple sensor (altimeter, barometer and thermometer). I'm rough on watches but these things are survivors.

#167575 - 02/22/09 07:33 PM Re: Watches? [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Yeah, I leave mine at home too and wear a G-Shock. Just as tough and it keeps better time.

#167576 - 02/22/09 07:34 PM Re: Watches? [Re: MedB]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Well, I'm not a Rolex guy myself, I generally avoid expensive watches because there's too much risk ruining one and feeling really bad about it later on.

For some time now I've owned a CWC British Army watch. It's actually an old one, made in 1991 and repaired to mint condition. I have heard the older, profesionally refurbished CWC watches are in fact a lot better choice than the new ones because the quality is no longer what it used to be. You can see a picture here (right on top):
http://www.armywatch.co.uk/watches.htm

As far as an EDC watch goes, I couldn't be happier. It's inexpensive and keeps time very accurately (I've actually tested it and it's like +/- 4 seconds in about a year now). The watch is also very tough, which is important to me. Being Johnny-on-the-spot more often than not, I get called to fix something at work regularly so my watches have to stand up to some abuse. The glass on that CWC is darn close to unbreakable. One time I had to do some emergency rope climbing (...don't ask! lol) and forgot to take off the watch. It was a pretty difficult situation and I accidentally hit the glass square on, full force as I pulled up and rolled over the top of the wall. Enough to smash pretty much any watch but the CWC survived it only with a scratch on the glass.

#167578 - 02/22/09 07:54 PM Re: Watches? [Re: Markok765]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
personally i have never worn a watch - always seem to be able to know the time w/i 15 mins.

and then there's the theory that a watch is only accurate twice a day.

and then too, what's accurate?

current hiking watch is altitech 2 - watch / altimeter / barometer..etc.

#167579 - 02/22/09 07:54 PM Re: Watches? [Re: MedB]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Originally Posted By: MedB
Just to head this off at the pass...

Before someone makes the comment about why Rolex etc? Remember that fine watches, like custom knives etc are one of those things where, at a certain point, you stop paying for better performance.

The fact of the matter is, a true masterpiece of a custom knife will not cut any better, nor will a fine watch tell the time any better, than it's cheaper counterparts. But the satisfaction from owning something handcrafted, the pride of owning something that's "best of breed", and the appreciation of true master craftsmanship keep these sorts of products perpetually in demand.

Personally, I am not at a place in my life where I can afford to own the best of everything. But there are one or two places in my life where I do try and indulge myself. Thankfully I have avoided being bitten by the watch bug thus far. Hopefully I shall continue to be that lucky... -smile-

I don't know, whenever I see four zeroes in a row, I tend to lose my appetite for greatness...

www.kravmagafederation.com

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.