The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#145601 - 08/24/08 07:21 AM Indefinite survival on the water
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I may be living on a sailboat in the near future. At first much of the time will probably be in a berth working to get the boat ready to cruise for weekends, and then longer periods. Eventually I hope to spend most of my time cruising and "gunk-holing" anchored here and there outside for-pay commercial marinas and anchorages.

Solar power and cooking will be available some of the time. Maybe wind power can generate some electricity some of the time. Fishing and crabbing can supply some food.

What other kinds of things can be done to be able to survive indefinitely on the water?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

#145605 - 08/24/08 08:17 AM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
#1 problem: kKeeping potable water onboard is going to be your biggest never-ending problem because of the cost (approx $10K) for a watermaker. Know where you can get water for free other than at marinas when you get fuel.

#2 problem: Sewage disposal. You can sail more than either 3 or 12 miles offshore and pump your sewage overboard. Check the federal CFR's for the exact distance.

#3 problem: If your boat is greater than 26ft, you come under certain federal recreational boating requirements. Garbage placard, garbage instruction posted, FCC license requirement-posted, flares, etc. I can IM that info to you after I get back home or contact your local USCG Auxiliary for a courtesy boat inspection.

Besides your log book, keep a notebook of free watering locations, and other locations/facilities where you can be safely anchored (out of the way of commercial traffic) or even to moor overnight without charge. Marinas that have laundry facilities, courtesy cars, wifi access, etc. Make notes about which boat launch ramps have dumpsters to dump your garbage. (always log when, where, and how much garbage that you dump)

Mark your charts with the call signs and vfm-fm channels needed for bridges, locks, and marinas that you make use of. Use a green highlighter to color those areas that are too shallow for your boat to safely enter. If your boat draws 4 ft of water, color every charted depth that is less than 8 ft in depth.

#145607 - 08/24/08 08:26 AM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: wildman800]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

One other item,

Be able to close up and lock your hatches, all of the hatches and doors.

Have a 1/4" chain/strong padlock available to chain/lock your small boat when you go ashore. Have any/all outboard motors padlocked to the transom(s).

#145615 - 08/24/08 12:24 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
solar water distiller

why not to use solar distillers

Is there a potential business in sailing skills training, or sail boat sales, or guided sail boat tours that would work with your boat and your skill set? There are folks selling services as vision quest guides; your experiences over the past few months , coupled with the spiritual insights into simplifying life that you have gained thereby, presented in the allegory of life aboard a small boat, might equip you to offer a wilderness experiential learning program that people would pay to enjoy.

#145616 - 08/24/08 12:39 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: wildman800]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
In a case of some long lasting cruise donīt forget to store some vitamin C rich food in order to prevent scurvy.

#145620 - 08/24/08 01:03 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: wildman800]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...always log when, where, and how much garbage that you dump..."

I know that there must be a good logical reason for this, but what it might be escapes me. Maybe to try to prove that you aren't the jerk dumping his trash overboard right off of that high dollar hotel's beach or something?

I suspected that fresh water would be right at the top of the list, glad that I have at least one or two brain cells working this morning. On that subject, I would suggest doing what RV boondockers do, carry a couple of collapsible five gallon water jugs along. I am sure that you will find lots of places you can dock at for free for a limited amount of time (like the WA state park where we are currently volunteering), with potable water nearby. Just dock, jump off, fill your jugs, jump on, and you're off. Our dock area even has a dump station for porta potties, so if you can figure out a way to use a blue boy, you would be good to go (pun intended again)...

#145641 - 08/24/08 03:39 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: OldBaldGuy]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

That is the exact reason for logging garbage dumps AND the USCG requires that log entry on all waste disposal.

The Log is a legal federal document that will stand up in a court of law. Make use of it so that it protects you from other people's finger pointing.

#145660 - 08/24/08 05:03 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: wildman800]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
wildman,

This thread has reminded me of a question I've always had in the back of my mind.

Is it even feasible to grow any types of plants while on a boat?

Even just small portable planters that could be hauled in during inclement weather?

Or did I watch Waterworld too many times?

#145662 - 08/24/08 05:48 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: samhain]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
So, is there some waterproof paper with waterproof pen setup for a ship's Log?

Is there a Ship's Log for Dummy's book / cribsheet somewhere?

Thanks.

#145673 - 08/24/08 06:49 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Hydroponics...or one could get some small planting pots to grow fresh herbs easily enough.

Some herbs will grow in just about any kind of poor soil conditions and they don't need much dirt either.

You probably wouldn't have to worry about getting them enough sunlight...

John E

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.