Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#167421 - 02/20/09 02:17 PM Another Walmart discovery
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I know not everyone is convinced that vitamin supplements are the bomb, but there are some foods that warrant consideration nonetheless.

I have always been a fan of Total cereal. It just works for me, what can I say. My only problem is it is usually one of the most expensive cereals on the shelf. Not that I am a big cereal eater, but I do use it in other recipes from time to time, especially my ranger cookie recipe.

Anyways, while strolling down the isle at the local Walmart, I was considered replenishing my stock with another box. As I thought it over, I noticed a Walmart generic sitting nearby. A quick comparison indicated that the nutritional content was pretty much identical, but the cost was about 1/3. Going from 28 cents an ounce to 10 cents an ounce makes this purchase consideration extremely appealing for me. I bought four boxes, and may go back and get more. I suspect this is not a one shot deal, but likely a durable discount, and given the threat of what may come, stocking up on something with a fairly decent nutrition profile at a fairly good price seems like the thing to do.

Just thought I'd pass on my discovery. They are called "Fortified Bran Flakes" or something close to that, and not stocked right next to the Total necessarily.

#167422 - 02/20/09 02:49 PM Re: Another Walmart discovery [Re: benjammin]
justmeagain Offline
Journeyman

Nearly every brand-name cereal can be found in a generic, house brand form. Your local supermarket may have something similar as well. I love grocery shopping to look and compare products both price wise and from a nutritional content.

#167426 - 02/20/09 03:06 PM Re: Another Walmart discovery [Re: justmeagain]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Look, people can bash Walmart but I am a fan. My weekly shopping bill at Safeway and Albertsons hovered at +/- $225. When I switched to Walmart that weekly bill dropped to around $150. That's a saving of around $300 a month on my food bill.

I defy anyone to write down prices of their usual weekly buys and purchase those at WM, you will be stunned at the price difference. Then as BenJammin states quite clearly, their Great Value and Sams Club brands save you even more.

The great find for me as it relates to preparedness-- their Ozark brand of outdoor gear sells 2 chem lights for $2. best price I have ever found on them.

Usual disclaimers, not a employee or own stock. Just a shopper.

#167438 - 02/20/09 05:07 PM Re: Another Walmart discovery [Re: ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Well, I won't go so far as to say everything house brand at WM is as good as the name brand stuff. I've got bit a couple times thinking the difference wouldn't be so noticable. Generally they do okay, stuff like this is hard to compromise much on. Often enough it is worth getting the house brand and their price on name brand is also lower in enough cases to make it worth shopping at WM more often than the other places. Caveat Emptor, but also be frugal.

It's a balancing act.

#167439 - 02/20/09 05:09 PM Re: Another Walmart discovery [Re: ]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Some of the stuff that has identical nutrition specs taste like dirt compared to GOOD tasting food though too wink

I can't stand generic bread... OroWheat I think is what we get.. oh-so-yummy and its like 3.95 at wal-mart but 2.5 at Winco and like 4.xx at grocery outlets. BIG difference.

Eggs, Milk, etc we get generic.

Cereal... I eat hot cereal, quaker oat tall cylinders smile

#167442 - 02/20/09 05:38 PM Re: Another Walmart discovery [Re: Todd W]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I always check out the house brands.
Sometimes they are just as good, sometimes they are better and sometimes they are noticeably inferior.
The thing is that I buy one package of whatever it is to compare it with the national brand when I am shopping.

#167444 - 02/20/09 06:45 PM Re: Another Walmart discovery [Re: scafool]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
I've never heard anyone bashing Wal-Mart due to their low prices, it's what they do at the corporate level to be able to offer those low prices that gets the bashing.

Ask the folks at Rubbermaid how they liked their experience selling products to Wal-Mart.

Read Barbara Ehrenreich's book "Nickel and Dimed" to get a perspective on working for Wal-Mart.

JohnE

Edited by JohnE (02/20/09 10:17 PM)

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#167448 - 02/20/09 08:29 PM Re: Another Walmart discovery [Re: JohnE]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've found that in the city where WalMart doesn't have a monopoly their prices are no cheaper than other stores overall. They may have a couple good deals but the other stores do too.

#167449 - 02/20/09 08:34 PM Re: Another Walmart discovery [Re: ]
rescueguru Offline
Wanderer

Loc: Southeastern USA
Hi guys, The bread is most probably baked in the same bakery, the milk processed in the same dairy, and etc. I just picked up a vitamin supplement for my mom this afternoon at a big box store, same composition, same number of tablets, sitting side by side on the shelf, one name brand and one generic. Cost difference - $5.09. If the quality proves to be the same, the rest is a no brainer. smile

#167456 - 02/21/09 12:14 AM Re: Another Walmart discovery [Re: rescueguru]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Great discussion!

I buy Harris-Teeter house brands at every opportunity -- from cereal, to laundry soap, chipotle salsa and cocoa.

Recently went to a Wegman's for the first time -- bought two of their house brand cereals and loved them.

Name brand prices are inflated by marketing costs.

Edited by Dagny (02/21/09 12:14 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.