The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#167468 - 02/21/09 05:20 AM Re: Another Walmart discovery [Re: ]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Good call.

I used to mix total into my gorp. Helps keep me regular.

Laugh if you want but constipation and irregularity are major problems in any emergency. They are pretty common when your forced to change food and living habits. Being constipated or burdened by diarrhea in an emergency, when you really want and need to be at your best, is a miserable experience. It is hard to show off your preparedness, expertise, and survival planning to good effect when your on the ground doubled up and turning green.

Bran flakes, and another of my favorites, oatmeal, can help keep everything moving.

#167469 - 02/21/09 05:39 AM Re: Another Walmart discovery [Re: Eugene]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
WalMart tells the VENDOR what they will pay them for a product, and they can deal or not. I am forced to shop there due to my extremely meager income, and they've basically forced most of the other businesses in the area out of business.

I see over time that they are stocking more and more of less and less, like they're down to two brands of shampoo. Apparently, more vendors are opting out of dealing with them. But Americans will buy virtually anything if it's cheap enough, even though it's worthless junk that falls apart in a couple of days.

Sue

#167473 - 02/21/09 08:19 AM Re: Another Walmart discovery [Re: Susan]
LeeG Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Like most things, it pays to do research ahead of time. I like the denim jeans from Walmart/Sam's Club, but I wouldn't buy my shoes there.

While I am talking stores, if any of you have the Fresh & Easy chain of stores nearby, I highly recommend them for fresh food. They are the US chain of stores owned by the UK company Tesco. My wife and I have been getting most of our non-bulk food from there for several months and it is very good.

#167475 - 02/21/09 12:26 PM Re: Another Walmart discovery [Re: LeeG]
MedB Offline

Funny you mention shoes.... perhaps the worst shoes on the planet are available at Wally World. Comfort is poor, quality is low, and many times they aren't even close to the right size (ie size 11 label fits like a 9 or a 13). Not sure where they get them, but I used to keep trying to find something there for my kids or myself; finally gave up.

Edited by MedB (02/21/09 12:27 PM)

#167478 - 02/21/09 03:31 PM Re: Another Walmart discovery [Re: MedB]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Two things I learned in the Army that apply in the civilian world: 1. How to clean a toilet. 2. Always take care of your primary form of transportation (feet). As an addendum to #2, I added never buy cheap shoes. I will skrimp on just about anything else, but not shoes. They may not be stylish, but they will be good quality and fit propperly. With kids this is hard due to growing feet, but in the long run their feet will be better for it.

Edited by Desperado (02/21/09 03:36 PM)

RIP OBG

#167482 - 02/21/09 04:02 PM Re: Another Walmart discovery [Re: JohnE]
nurit Offline

Loc: NYC
"Read Barbara Ehrenreich's book "Nickel and Dimed" to get a perspective on working for Wal-Mart."

A terrific book!

The full title is "Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America."

As a journalist Ehrenreich took a long-term assignment in 1998 to find out what it really means to live on minimum wage. For months she worked minimum-wage jobs (waiting tables, cleaning houses, and working for Wal-Mart) in different parts of the country.

Her account of the day-to-day struggle to exist is written in such vivid detail that I couldn't put it down.

#167490 - 02/21/09 05:04 PM Re: Another Walmart discovery [Re: nurit]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
You're right about the sub-title, thanks for including it. I have a thing about the trend to make the titles of books so long so I tend to drop out the subs.

It is a very good book, Ehrenreich is writing about things that affect all of us eventually. I'm curious to see what she'll have to say about the current financial "crisis" that the U.S. finds itself in.

John E

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#167527 - 02/22/09 12:19 AM Re: Another Walmart discovery [Re: JohnE]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I was raised to be frugal. My step-dad was king of the frugals. I think he might've been from frugal rock or something. Anyways, I appreciate a good deal, but I still look for quality. I don't shop exclusively at Wal-Mart, but they are competitive enough that they make it worth going to visit regularly. I also do Sam's Club and Costco. In fact, all my jeans are from Costco. They're Kirkland brand jeans fit me almost perfectly, cost me about $13 a pair, and last for years.

Retail is almost as cutthroat as the construction business. I am not going to fault someone for getting it right, reading the consumer base like a dime novel and getting their supply line to do just what they want. They figured out the formula and they are working it, and that is the name of the game. If someone else can beat them and provide us all with a better product, service, and price, then I will gladly go pay them a visit and give them my business instead.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.