Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#166962 - 02/12/09 01:36 PM Re: Senator trying to ban all folding knives in Ha [Re: Doug_Ritter]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
Great piece with Ken Onion on the Pocket Knife Ban bill.

http://www.khon2.com/news/local/39409572.html

Make sure you watch the video and note the email shown!

Three things about the video:
1)I noticed the email
2)So that's what Ken Onion looks like - Too Bad they could not also do Tom Mayo
3)Why, oh why, does Ken have to show off the assited opening - too many people think "switchblade"
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#166965 - 02/12/09 01:40 PM Re: Senator trying to ban all folding knives in Hawaii [Re: Lono]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
All too true my friend, and we are certainly all entitled to an opinion. If our views never varied, we'd end up with nothing to discuss eventually.

You may be right about the illogical aspects too. Just because it doesn't make sense to me doesn't mean it won't make sense to somebody. I have to admit, in my lifetime I've met many people who's logic I never understood, and probably wouldn't want to, but some of them were quite interesting to listen to anyways, kinda like a horror movie can be interesting. grin

#166985 - 02/12/09 04:55 PM Re: Senator trying to ban all folding knives in Ha [Re: benjammin]
snoman Offline

Originally Posted By: benjammin
Any sort of request which has no basis in fact, no empirical evidence that would support such a position, or otherwise goes against the sensibilities of the common man would be frivolous or worse. Global warming, along with knife and gun control, are frivolous at the least, and possibly capricious or even malicious in intent. Their ends cannot be justified nor rationalized, they are purely the result of emotive expression or perhaps reactionary.
Lawmakers have a responsibility to the public not to waste their time, nor their staff's time, nor the floor's time, in developing or bringing such ridiculous motions. The magnitude of the cost is not the issue. Waste is waste. Even more so if they go on the record against such a position, for the very notion that a legislator would oppose such a position would by its nature make it at the least frivolous in context. That is just plain logic. It is as ridiculous as asking them to put forth the motion that the sky be called now and hereafter green rather than blue.

The good senator made the comment "Because the Hawaii constitution allows only legislators to introduce bills..."
I seem to remember another constitution that says the people of this nation have the right to keep and bear arms, and that that right shall not be infringed. If a constituent sends this to him, he should thank them for their interest and tell them 'Unfortunately I cannot even introduce this bill since it is so obviously unconstitutional.'

#167015 - 02/13/09 12:07 AM Re: Senator trying to ban all folding knives in Ha [Re: snoman]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: snoman
I seem to remember another constitution that says the people of this nation have the right to keep and bear arms, and that that right shall not be infringed.

That is the other reason why, we thought this was serious, I had suggested not bringing Heller into this. Never show your hand during the first few antes- keep it focused on tools. There is nothing in the Constitution about tools. There isn't a single amendment that regulates the ownership of can openers, screw drivers and sewing machines, but you really can look silly trying to regulate them.

Then again, I'm also the guy who says that we should try taking on bans of "ugly" guns as a freedom of speech issue. First Amendment gives you as much right to own an ugly rifle as you have to sing off key.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#167030 - 02/13/09 05:06 AM Re: Senator trying to ban all folding knives in Ha [Re: ironraven]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
I think the senator did it half right. He does have a duty to represent his constituents so submitting bills by request seems reasonable to me. He should have (maybe he did, maybe he didn't) taken an extra step in telling the constituent that he does not support the bill but will propose it to represent him/her. But do they really want to propose it as it will likely never pass and the proposal seems to be extreme and many people will be upset by it. So are they sure they want this out. And if the constituent says yes, then I think the senator did his job. And if they say no, he still did his job and it would never have been proposed. But to just propose it even marked by request without going through the argument first would be irresponsible. At least that's my take on it.

#167032 - 02/13/09 10:14 AM Re: Senator trying to ban all folding knives in Hawaii [Re: aloha]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: aloha
Originally Posted By: brangdon
British law is quite specific that short, folding knives are de-facto tools rather than weapons.
Slipjoints only. Anything with a lock is a no no.
"Folding" is now interpreted to mean a knife which folds directly, without a lock. However, it's wrong to say that "anything with a lock is a no no". They are legal to manufacture, sell, own etc, and legal to use in public with reason (just as fixed-blade knives are; they've not been banned either). They are considered tools not weapons if you are using them as a tool.

(For the record, I live in England and own two of Doug's fine locking folders, and one of his fixed blades, quite legally. I wouldn't want a misunderstanding of British law to influence new US law.)

#167052 - 02/13/09 05:15 PM Re: Senator trying to ban all folding knives in Hawaii [Re: Brangdon]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Originally Posted By: Brangdon
Originally Posted By: aloha
Originally Posted By: brangdon
British law is quite specific that short, folding knives are de-facto tools rather than weapons.
Slipjoints only. Anything with a lock is a no no.
"Folding" is now interpreted to mean a knife which folds directly, without a lock. However, it's wrong to say that "anything with a lock is a no no". They are legal to manufacture, sell, own etc, and legal to use in public with reason (just as fixed-blade knives are; they've not been banned either). They are considered tools not weapons if you are using them as a tool.

(For the record, I live in England and own two of Doug's fine locking folders, and one of his fixed blades, quite legally. I wouldn't want a misunderstanding of British law to influence new US law.)

Thanks for clarifying. My bad. I thought locking folders were not allowed to be carried generally.

#167056 - 02/13/09 07:56 PM Re: Senator trying to ban all folding knives in Ha [Re: ironraven]
snoman Offline

Originally Posted By: ironraven
That is the other reason why, we thought this was serious, I had suggested not bringing Heller into this. Never show your hand during the first few antes- keep it focused on tools.

I agree - to a point. I can understand banning 'dangerous items' to those who are mentally unstable or to those with a criminal record, but not to the population as a whole. The people of this nation have the right to arms whether they like it or not or agree with it or not. They are bound to 'play by the rules.'

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 443 Guests and 76 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.