Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#166928 - 02/11/09 10:05 PM MSR stoves...
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
I'm looking for a propane/butane gas pocket stove... For many years I've been using a Whisperlite from MSR that besides boiling water also got my blood boiling when about two years ago started to fail me. I can always get it working after total disassembly but it fails again when needed the most. After yet another disappointment I decided to buy a stove that utilizes canisters because I saw how easy they were to obtain in South America and the US... I will probably get another Whisperlight or Dragonfly liquid fuel stove for longer times in the field or when traveling in Asia where I'm usually very high up or there are no canisters. But for now gas it is…

So I was looking at MSR mostly because I get a significant discount with them thru my work. Any recommendations on their stoves? I was primarily flipping between SuperFly and Pocket Rocket for their size but also looked at Windpro for stability. Reason I'm trying to stay away from products like Jetboil is because I do a lot of cooking (simmering etc) instead of just boiling. I mean my perfect stove would be a multi fuel stove with possibility of working on propane as well but I don’t think anyone makes it.

PS.
My whisperlite is old and got abused quite a lot (stepped on, crushed, 150 feet fall, underwater). So it is normal it acts weird but I can't afford my stove to give me hard time when climbing for two days and after being chased off the mountain to seek shelter instead of getting something warm in me I'm troubleshooting my stove.

#166930 - 02/11/09 10:19 PM Re: MSR stoves... [Re: Polak187]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Remember that burner on top of canister stoves have some drawbacks in the ability to use some windscreens or ovens.

I don't know anything about it but you might check the Brunton Lander. It's a little pricey and heavy though.

Lander Stove

Named for its NASA-like looks, the Lander™ dual-fuel can accommodate both butane and white gas making a versatile expedition stove. The unique flip-out legs and pot supports give the Lander the ability to be packed away in the included zip-up case for packing.

Price: $148.50

http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=600

#166931 - 02/11/09 10:19 PM Re: MSR stoves... [Re: Polak187]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I happen to have an old pocketrocket around...PM me, I'd be willing to let it go.
Its about 3-4 years old, I actually went with an even tinier stove when I went through an ultra ultralight stage.

#166932 - 02/11/09 10:27 PM Re: MSR stoves... [Re: oldsoldier]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Do remember that stoves like the PocketRocket & Giga Stove won't let you use a good windscreen like the remote fuel canister stoves will.

I can say this as the proud owner of several stoves. Some of the burner on canister design and some remote.

#166933 - 02/11/09 10:35 PM Re: MSR stoves... [Re: 7point82]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
This is true. I have been a stove, ah, changer my whole adult life! The PR & my current Giga I love because they are small. However, I use the giga exclusively now, and have no need for the PR.
I miss my old whisperlite though...I remember when the shaker jet was introduced...I didnt pick one up because I liked the cleaning tool for the original too much!!!

#166955 - 02/12/09 07:43 AM Re: MSR stoves... [Re: oldsoldier]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
I use a coleman peak1 butane/propane stove from wal-mart.
$25.00 now, never failed me.
That said if I was going to get an MSR Gas stove I would get the model that fit both styles of gas cartridge, MSR has one stove that will fit both styles.

#166961 - 02/12/09 01:12 PM Re: MSR stoves... [Re: Polak187]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
It's hard to go wrong with the MSR Pocket Rocket -- simple, packs small. This is the stove I have in my GH Bag along with one new cannister.

#166975 - 02/12/09 03:06 PM Re: MSR stoves... [Re: Russ]
MichaelJ Offline

I got a great deal from a local retailer on the burner component of the Primus Eta Express, because the rest was damaged in shipping. I never liked the charged canister stoves; it always seemed like an explosion waiting to happen; and they weren't available in some of the places I traveled.

This little burner has converted me!

It light, fast and a single small canister has lasted me 3 weekend trips so far. If I were traveling in the developing world again, I'd want to be sure the canisters were available there, but for everything else this is my choice.
Primus has a little lantern I like the look of also.

The one downside: if it stops working, there is nothing I can do. With my old Whisper Light International I could take the whole thing apart and fix whatever went wrong. I don;'t see that as a possibility with the Eta.

#167061 - 02/13/09 09:39 PM Re: MSR stoves... [Re: Polak187]
camerono Offline

All I can say is if you are in below freezing weather and have a canister stove you better sleep with the canister if you want coffee in the morning.

I do a lot of winter camping so my choice is MSR international. I usually use white gas. A little messy but always lights.

CO

#167064 - 02/13/09 10:28 PM Re: MSR stoves... [Re: camerono]
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
I don't think there is a better white gas stove than whisperlight but unfortunately mine is not an international version and been beaten to death... I will get another whisperlight eventually but for now I'm enjoying my minimalistic stage of life smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.