One thing I don't care for is constantly working the edge of my carry knives after nominal use. Even with my culinary stuff, I don't like the notion of touching up the edge with anything more than an occasional swipe on a steel to straighten it back out. Unless I intend to cut rocks all the time (in which case I have a good chisel set for that sort of stuff), I shouldn't need to keep working the edge on a stone or a piece of carbide or my diamond wheel.

Once I set the edge with my diamond wheel and rouge polish it (in most cases), that edge should last me at least a couple months of regular use without having to sharpen it again. Right now my Leatherman is about as sharp as it was when I put the wheels to it last August, and that means it is still sharp enough to scare me a little. I admit I've only cut with it maybe a dozen times or so since then. However, the little Gerber Shortcut in my pocket gets used at least once a week, and I haven't sharpened it since I got it last September.

I've found that for crosscutting tree branches, heft is at least as important as edge. I wouldn't expect my Cold Steel SRKs to go through branches anywhere near as effectively as my Busse Battle Mistress, and I know the SRK has a sharper edge to it.

There have been more than a few people I've met who are bit OC about keeping an edge on their knives. Grandad was one of them. In his case I think knife sharpening was his "Captain Queeg" process, probably from sitting around the fire with nothing better to do on most nights.