Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#166704 - 02/08/09 05:40 PM Re: I need help with job interview. [Re: GarlyDog]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: GarlyDog
Originally Posted By: Dagny

6) BE ABLE TO ARTICULATE A WEAKNESS -- I never ask this question but it is not uncommon. Can't say I have a stock answer but would try to formulate in advance a weakness that also conveys a strength. (perhaps the ETS gang can help with this)

How about "I have been accused of being a perfectionist at times. Sometimes perfection isn't the best answer when costs have to be measured or funds are limited. This one is hard for me so I do my best utilizing the available resources, time, money, etc."

Wrong answer! See:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start...4kcF-wAh8XybwzA
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#166711 - 02/08/09 06:40 PM Re: I need help with job interview. [Re: picard120]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
I have spent a lot of time interviewing job candidates. I don't follow the standard HR protocol because I'm not an HR person, I'm the guy who needs folks to produce.

The best candidates are those folks who have the requisite skills and experience and who also voice their interest in contributing to the success of the company. If you a good technical fit then please tell the interviewer that you're looking for work (not a job), that you want to contribute (and sound like you nean it), you're anxious to learn how to help the company grow, that you understand that the company's success is yours (not the other way round), that you're confident in your abilities and you enjoy a challenge.

If you can also point to examples of tasks done/work experiences that show these qualities, the specifics will re-inforce your position.

Try to relax. Remember that the interviewer has a problem. He/she needs somebody to fill a position. He wants to do that with the least amount of work possible. If you can make her believe that you are her solution, the deal's done.

One last thing, please do not ever say "How will taking this job help me get my next job?" I hear that all the time from IT folks. My answer is always, "You can starting looking now". End of interview.

#166715 - 02/08/09 07:47 PM Re: I need help with job interview. [Re: picard120]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Respectfully, there seems to be a problem more serious than just being afraid of a job interview. Forgive me if my impression is wrong but in some of your earlier posts you indicated you'd like to improve your confidence and self-esteem.

These are common issues and I can partly relate to them, being an introverted guy by nature. Still, if your fears go so far as to hinder you from achieving your major goals I think it might be better to confront them once and for all or they will impede your progress for the rest of your life.

I am no psychologist but perhaps there are some simple steps that might resolve your real issues. Think of your true fears. Everybody has some weak points. Some are afraid of snakes, some can't cope with failure (or even the thought of it), others hate formally speaking in public (count me in!), maybe it is unsuccessful relationships in the past or problems in the family. Deep down I'm sure you know already what it is.

Now think about it again. Why should any fears from your past stand in the way of your future? Try to visualize yourself at the job interview. What's the worst thing that can happen to you? You'll get laughed at and thrown out. Might be embarassing but on a 1-10 scale, it ranks dead low on my disaster list. So low it's not even worth worrying about. We've all made a fool of ourselves many more times that we can remember. So what? It's not even a disaster, just a little embarassment. Remember, if people laugh at you, it's best to laugh with them. Don't take life too seriously because it really isn't. Our existence in this world is so short, why make it miserable? Make the best out of it you can, be a good man but most of all, relax and enjoy life. Unless you're Buddhist, you won't get another chance. wink

The more you interact with people (especially new contacts) the more comfortable you'll be at a job interview. You have absolutely nothing to lose! Find something that you're really good at and feel the pride. You're no worse than anybody else out there so why should you feel inferior or inadequate in any way?

Finally, start working out regularly if you're not doing already. Your mind and body are closely connected and you should keep both in good shape. Another very simple thing that has helped me a great deal in difficult times is Zen meditation. You can learn it in a few days but it will take your concentration and inner peace to a whole new level.
http://www.mro.org/zmm/teachings/meditation.php

Anyway, best of luck and may you reach every goal you ever wanted to achieve!

#166726 - 02/09/09 12:30 AM Re: I need help with job interview. [Re: picard120]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: picard120

one of the question interview ask for 1 of your strongest strength.
Should I just say that I am well trained to deal with customer service since I have extensive hands on dealing with irate users.

for weakness question: Should I say that I don't have weakness that might hinder my performance on the job? Is this a good answer?

I would NEVER answer the first question that way. It sounds like you're MAKING lots of pissed off customers, then having to correct those issues. Just leave off everthing after "since" and that answer is much better.

Weakness... always tough. I haven't found a good answer for that yet. I tend to just say that my one of my strengths is confidence, which can be mistaken for arrogance. Which is kinda-sorta true.

Probably the best thing is to get treated for depression. It takes a while, but can be done. Good luck, I know from first hand experience how debilitating it can be.

#166728 - 02/09/09 01:09 AM Re: I need help with job interview. [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I am glad I didn't have any of those questions posed, don't know how I'd've handled them. I guess honestly with eye contact. Weakness? I tend to over-think and I would probably have over-thought and not realized that was my weakness. I work better on a compressed schedule, less opportunity to rethink. . .

Really though, I don't like to game interviews. I'd rather take them cold and just talk. I guess some could consider that a lack of preparation.

#166741 - 02/09/09 05:25 AM Re: I need help with job interview. [Re: Russ]
MedB Offline

Some personal examples of ways I've answered the weakness question...

"I was not lucky enough to be born with a natural organization gene, therefore I've worked very hard at developing good organizational habits that have become real survival skills in my career. Things like religious use of a DayTimer, Task Lists, etc have helped me to excel."

"One growth opportunity I see for myself is continuing to develop my ability to deal with folks who are highly risk-averse. In the past I found it challening to partner with folks who dismiss new methods and thinking out of hand. As a result, I've worked hard to develop an understanding of those behaviors so I can help them win and build a relationship in the process. But I think one can never be too good at that so I will continue to work on it."

Be honest. Show self-awareness. Show growth. Be positive.

#166743 - 02/09/09 05:36 AM Re: I need help with job interview. [Re: MedB]
MedB Offline

If you want to show inerest at the end of an interview, one method that I've seen applicants use is the following...

Method
1 - Tell them that you think it might be a great fit
2 - Tell them you want to learn more about the company and in particular the cutlure.
3 - Ask what opportunities might exist and/or offer possibilities

I've had applicants ask about our community outreach so they could get to know our people. Others have asked about meeting some of the employees and/or attending part on an orientation as an observer.

It's bold for sure, but if you want show "they are the one", it's a strong strategy.

Edited by MedB (02/09/09 05:37 AM)

#166756 - 02/09/09 01:43 PM Re: I need help with job interview. [Re: MedB]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
As an IT person myself, it is critical to be able to talk about your prior positions, what you learned, how the team functioned, etc...

I've had many variations on different interviews. Some don't tech me at all, other do a personal one first, then if they like me, do a more in depth tech as a second interview. Others just rely on the tech alone.

My problem is that I don't often tech interview well. They ask for definitions of terms and such sometimes, which is completely moronic since any good IT person knows they can look up specific syntax and use as needed. It is impossible to hold every scrap of programming knowledge in your head at all times. I usually try to convy that in the personal interview beforehand.

#166808 - 02/10/09 02:39 AM Re: I need help with job interview. [Re: Mike_H]
ratbert42 Offline

Loc: Florida
Ask questions. I hate interviewing people that don't have any questions for me. Ask about their customers, history, financials, etc. Get the interviewer to talk about themselves too. People like to talk about themselves.

I don't worry too much if someone doesn't make much eye contact. I'm hiring software developers. I expect quirks and nervousness, especially in a job interview. I just need to see that they're capable of communicating with others without making everyone mad. It'd be a lot different if I were hiring in sales or consulting.

#166813 - 02/10/09 03:22 AM Re: I need help with job interview. [Re: ratbert42]
ch451 Offline
Stranger

Your best bet if you are single is to go on a bunch of blind dates. If your in a relationship, think back to your first few dates. A job interview is just like a first date. Think about it, when you find or have found that special someone, you had to sell yourself to that person and if you are good that person bought "the goods" ask yourself why? Because you offered something that they saw or were interested in. Employers are the same. I think that getting a second date is harder than getting a job. IMO Because you have KSA's Knowledge, Skills and abilities. In an interview you have resume with your KSA, all you have to do is explain your KSA's, be personal and how it will help the company, I wish you could just had out resumes for dating but you can't you have to sell yourself for that next date. Your ability to sell yourself or interview is as easy as dating. Hope this helps. I had a professor who explained it like this once. Good luck

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 346 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.