Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#166817 - 02/10/09 04:03 AM Re: I need help with job interview. [Re: picard120]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

thank you for all your help. I appreciate it very much.

Is it legal for me to tape the interview? I want to be sure the company doesn't dump for for racist reason.

#166819 - 02/10/09 04:08 AM Re: I need help with job interview. [Re: MedB]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: MedB
Some personal examples of ways I've answered the weakness question...

"I was not lucky enough to be born with a natural organization gene, therefore I've worked very hard at developing good organizational habits that have become real survival skills in my career. Things like religious use of a DayTimer, Task Lists, etc have helped me to excel."

"One growth opportunity I see for myself is continuing to develop my ability to deal with folks who are highly risk-averse. In the past I found it challening to partner with folks who dismiss new methods and thinking out of hand. As a result, I've worked hard to develop an understanding of those behaviors so I can help them win and build a relationship in the process. But I think one can never be too good at that so I will continue to work on it."

Be honest. Show self-awareness. Show growth. Be positive.

your answer sounds good. I will use it.

#166846 - 02/10/09 09:59 PM Re: I need help with job interview. [Re: picard120]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: picard120

Is it legal for me to tape the interview? I want to be sure the company doesn't dump for for racist reason.

I think that would not be a good move. Interviews are subjective things. Thinking you need to tape an interview is telling your interviewer you already do not trust them. That's not creating a good environment within which to have an interview or work.

Good luck.

#166853 - 02/10/09 11:54 PM Re: I need help with job interview. [Re: Dan_McI]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: Dan_McI

I think that would not be a good move. Interviews are subjective things. Thinking you need to tape an interview is telling your interviewer you already do not trust them. That's not creating a good environment within which to have an interview or work.

Good luck.

Additionally, no one here would be able to answer your question without knowing what state or country you live in. The recording and wiretapping laws are different from state to state with some requiring only one party being recorded giving consent and some requiring that all parties being recorded giving consent. Some states also make distinctions between recording an electronic conversation, i.e., a telephone conversation, versus a face-to-face oral conversation, in that consent is required in the former while only advisement is required in the latter. Some states not only take expectation of privacy into consideration, but take the additional expectation of non-interception as well. If you would like to research this subject further yourself, feel free to check out The Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press: Can We Tape?

Once you understand where your legal boundaries lie, consider Dan_Mcl’s argument to its appropriateness. wink

#166869 - 02/11/09 04:33 AM Re: I need help with job interview. [Re: JCWohlschlag]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: JCWohlschlag
Originally Posted By: Dan_McI

Good luck.

Additionally, no one here would be able to answer your question without knowing what state or country you live in. The recording and wiretapping laws are different from state to state with some requiring only one party being recorded giving consent and some requiring that all parties being recorded giving consent. Some states also make distinctions between recording an electronic conversation, i.e., a telephone conversation, versus a face-to-face oral conversation, in that consent is required in the former while only advisement is required in the latter. Some states not only take expectation of privacy into consideration, but take the additional expectation of non-interception as well. If you would like to research this subject further yourself, feel free to check out The Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press: Can We Tape?

Once you understand where your legal boundaries lie, consider Dan_Mcl’s argument to its appropriateness. wink

I am from Canada. I went to previous job interviews which interviewer said I fit the role that they want. however they chose another dirt bag. I [censored] me off.

#166871 - 02/11/09 04:34 AM Re: I need help with job interview. [Re: picard120]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

[censored] out of them. I can't tolerate such companies.

#166873 - 02/11/09 04:45 AM Re: I need help with job interview. [Re: picard120]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
IF you choose to record your interview, I would do it on the sly. When I was a hiring manager at a large company, we recorded all interviews and counseling/performance review sessions to cover our butts.

Don't know if it was legal, but it was insurance. Proving racial bias is going to be difficult in a hiring situation though. There are too many ways to say someone else is a better "fit" than another.

Case in point:

Large metropolitan police department I applied with. I passed all of their tests. (written, physical agility, physical fitness, background check, three interview boards, polygraph and psychological)

I was then told I did not meet the requirements of the department.

I knew my recruiter personally, and asked him off the record what happened. I was informed I needed a good tan and indoor plumbing so to speak. The department had an EEO quota to reach, and I did not fit the image.

VERY FRUSTRATING!

RIP OBG

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.