Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#166777 - 02/09/09 07:57 PM There's an Ice Storm Coming?
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I thought this was an interesting article on preparedness and being neighborly. It's not a how-to, just a nice story.

Kentucky Amish Help Non-Amish Weather Ice Storm

#166778 - 02/09/09 08:19 PM Re: There's an Ice Storm Coming? [Re: Nicodemus]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
That is a great account of community and preparedness.

When the wind died down and the ice storm had passed, Joe Stutzman gathered his spare lanterns and stepped out of his Amish farmhouse to lend them to his modern-living neighbors.

"I feel sorry for my neighbors who were used to electricity and all of a sudden didn't have it," Stutzman said. "I know that must be hard for them."

The neighbors brought over hot coffee every morning during the week the power was out, ("Best coffee I ever drank," James Hutchins said), provided well water, cooked a meal for them, lent them a kerosene lantern and fixed the one lantern the Hutchinses had.

Hundreds of thousands of people in Kentucky have been without electricity for their lights, furnaces, ovens and refrigerators since the killer storm hit more than a week ago, and some spots might not get power back for weeks.

But Kentucky's Amish have been living that way all their lives. And when the disaster struck, they generously lent a hand to their non-Amish neighbors and showed them how it's done.

Edited by Dagny (02/09/09 08:22 PM)

#166781 - 02/09/09 09:12 PM Re: There's an Ice Storm Coming? [Re: Nicodemus]
toke49 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Central Virginia, U.S.A.
We all know that there are many "good" folk out there. I have been on the receiving end of such kindness and am forever grateful for it. It's reassuring to know that when the going gets tough that there is often a helping hand to assist.

#166782 - 02/09/09 09:26 PM Re: There's an Ice Storm Coming? [Re: toke49]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
I had the chance to help some of these folks when I was in the army in KY. There were some less than honorable folks pestering the Amish folks on the road in front of me. When I stopped to help, the "bad guys" split, but I think I inadvertently offended the Amish folks also. I and the fine folks in the car with me might have said some things that were not acceptable in polite society.

They kinda thanked us and then walked back to the buggy. I was always just a little confused on that outcome. Oh Well

RIP OBG

#166785 - 02/09/09 09:52 PM Re: There's an Ice Storm Coming? [Re: Nicodemus]
nurit Offline

Loc: NYC
Very nice story indeed. Thanks, Nicodemus!

I happened to buy a couple of old Dietz lanterns on eBay last week. Didn't understand why I was doing this. Didn't need them, as I've acquired plenty of oil lamps, candles, battery lamps and so forth.

Puts a smile on my face to read about the Amish lending lanterns to their neighbors. Good to have extra on hand.

#166791 - 02/09/09 10:55 PM Re: There's an Ice Storm Coming? [Re: Desperado]
Jakam
Unregistered

Hey Desperado, since I'm non practicing (not shunned) Amish I'll try to answer, even though I wasn't there. It was probably one of 2 things:

1- Words or actions that placed them in an uncomfortable spot(aggressive/adversarial), more discomfort than shame or embarassment, they just want to be left alone and avoid aggression and confrontation.

2- English butting in, even against other English. Probably have too many gawkers and hecklers already, and suspect everyone's motives.

#166792 - 02/09/09 11:02 PM Re: There's an Ice Storm Coming? [Re: ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
May also have been the HMMWV and the 4 soldiers with full combat gear. We might have been somewhere we weren't supposed to be. We decided the cost of having snuck off for lunch was worth helping the less honorable see the error of their ways.

Really secluded area. No witnesses to heckle them. Beyond that, I was just worried for the folks.

After that I am pleading my rights against self incrimination. I helped to influence the miscreants decision with a lot of gusto.

This was years ago also.

Edited by Desperado (02/09/09 11:08 PM)

RIP OBG

#166862 - 02/11/09 03:18 AM Re: There's an Ice Storm Coming? [Re: ]
red Offline

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Their way of life many people laugh at,

Bet very few in Kentucky are laughing at them now! grin

#166863 - 02/11/09 03:21 AM Re: There's an Ice Storm Coming? [Re: Nicodemus]
red Offline

Thanks Nicodemus, that's a great story of charity. Hmmm, charity in the middle of a SHTF situation. Who'd a thunkit?

#167021 - 02/13/09 03:18 AM Re: There's an Ice Storm Coming? [Re: Desperado]
Jakam
Unregistered

Aaaah-
Little known fact-

I was told as a child Amish men don't wear mustaches because of the association with military men in the era when they fled their homelands.

So there you go- you may have inadvertently represented a group that the particular order you interacted with still have ambivalent feelings towards...........

It's all a guess on my part, I know plenty of Amish folks that have continued to change with the times, as much as their belief system will allow, and also know many that hang on doggedly to the status quo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 195 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.