Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#166710 - 02/08/09 06:23 PM Re: Bear encounter and spray [Re: MDinana]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: MDinana

That being said, for my Alaska trip I'm contemplating bringing a Winchester 94, in 30-30. Not sure if I need it, but I'll certainly grab some bear spray from REI and send it on over. I wonder though, if 30-30 is big enough, and if a 12ga. in 00 Buck (with some slugs thrown in) would be a better choice!

Trails crews working for the US Forest Service in Alaska generally have a point person carrying a 12 GA. Not sure what load they use. They also carry spray. New members to the crews each year get bear and gun safety training. If you're riding in a USFS helo you also get dunk tank and immersion suit training.

Spray and noise seem to be the common practices among the Fish and Game folks as well. Though I do think that folks out at the isolated fish weirs also take a firearm. Usually 2 people stay out at a remote weir for 45-60 days monitoring the salmon runs, always bears near by. I'll follow up on that with the DD2 who has that job this summer.

#166730 - 02/09/09 02:31 AM Re: Bear encounter and spray [Re: Colourful]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Very interesting thread. Great demonstration of your skills and the ability to stay calm. I am glad that you are OK. Thanks for sharing your story. Very valuable informations (from others too).

Do you (or anyone here) think if following things would discourage a bear?:

- a burning torch - for example this one: http://www.wulflund.com/tents/medieval-tents/natural-torch---95-minutes.html

-(instead of air horn) Sportzwiz electronic whistle/signaler (120 decibels) http://www.acmewhistles.ca/ > Specialty Whistles > Electronic Whistle/Signaler

P.S. Are you the author of this story, Colorama? I am confused by the sentence "Used with permission from the author, Peter Upton".

#166750 - 02/09/09 11:25 AM Re: Bear encounter and spray [Re: MDinana]
snoman Offline

Originally Posted By: MDinana
I wonder though, if 30-30 is big enough, and if a 12ga. in 00 Buck would be a better choice!

No.

Brenneke Black Magic 3" slugs.

#166762 - 02/09/09 03:25 PM Re: Bear encounter and spray [Re: snoman]
Andrew_S Offline
Journeyman

Why ban folding knives when you can ban bear spray?

From today's Globe & Mail (Canada's Irrational Newspaper):
Communities fuming as bear spray becomes weapon of choice

#166769 - 02/09/09 06:18 PM Re: Bear encounter and spray [Re: Andrew_S]
Colourful Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Yukon
I'm not the author, Mr Peter Upton is. My story is the useless bear bell one.

Also: A group of more than 5 hikers has never been attacked by a bear.

I think learning the proper way to avoid bears is as important as getting the equipment to shoot it.

#166783 - 02/09/09 09:43 PM Re: Bear encounter and spray [Re: Colourful]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
What's interesting to me about this story is that it says a "BLACK BEAR" not a BROWN BEAR. Black bears are not known to attack humans let alone follow / chase them down... they want an easy meal, some quick leftover scraps, a trash can, etc... rarely do you hear of black bears attacking humans especially with no cubs involved.

#166788 - 02/09/09 10:32 PM Re: Bear encounter and spray [Re: Colourful]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: Colorama
My story is the useless bear bell one.

That was also very useful observation, thanks for sharing it. One would think that the bear jingle bell would alert the bear (itīs designed for that) but it seems the reality is different. Anyway I would be likely annoyed by the jingle bell and rather turn on some small radio or play some simple instrument/blow the whistle from time to time instead.

#166794 - 02/09/09 11:13 PM Re: Bear encounter and spray [Re: Todd W]
Andrew_S Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: ToddW
Black bears are not known to attack humans let alone follow / chase them down... they want an easy meal, some quick leftover scraps, a trash can, etc... rarely do you hear of black bears attacking humans especially with no cubs involved.

The latest thinking on black bears is that most attacks don't involve cubs or territorial defense, but a predacious bear that views its victim as a potential food source. These bears typically do follow the victim and hunt him or her down, although it's very rare. The behaviour described in the original post is typical -- the bear is following, circling around, snooping about.

This is in contrast to the grizzly, which although it's much more capable of hunting humans, typically attacks out of territorial behaviour or defense of its cubs.

It's about the opposite of what you would expect, and it's why the usual black bear advice -- "don't bother carrying bear spray, just yell and bang pots and it will run away" -- is irresponsible and incorrect. Most black bears will run away if you bang pots, all right -- but most black bears aren't the ones who will attack and kill you.

#166795 - 02/09/09 11:17 PM Re: Bear encounter and spray [Re: Andrew_S]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Andrew_S
Most black bears will run away if you bang pots, all right -- but most black bears aren't the ones who will attack and kill you.

Andrew, just so I'm sure that I understood your point that I quoted--you're saying that the kind of black bear that isn't scared off by loud noises is likely the kind of bear that sees you as food and will attack, correct?

#166796 - 02/09/09 11:30 PM Re: Bear encounter and spray [Re: Arney]
Andrew_S Offline
Journeyman

I mean that "most" black bears, meaning normal black bears that come snuffling around looking for your food pack, aren't the ones that attack people.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.