Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#166623 - 02/06/09 11:20 PM Re: Bear encounter and spray [Re: bsmith]
drahthaar Offline

thank you for the post.

always good to read factual information - as opposed to speculation.

glad you're okay.

#166625 - 02/06/09 11:22 PM Re: Bear encounter and spray [Re: acropolis5]
Andrew_S Offline
Journeyman

The risk of a bear attack is extremely small. Are you really going to carry a shotgun everywhere just in case?

Bear spray's lighter than a shotgun and ammunition, it's a good deal less unwieldy as you go about your business, and it's more effective than firing a shot into the ground. Carrying bear spray around with you is practical; a shotgun, not so much.

#166631 - 02/06/09 11:54 PM Re: Bear encounter and spray [Re: Andrew_S]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Bears simply are not predictable.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/09/10/bc-bear-attack-port-renfrew.html?ref=rss

Quote:
A bear mauling a man on a boat in Port Renfrew, B.C., wouldn't let go of its victim despite being struck with a gaff, beaten with a hammer and stabbed with sharp objects, one of the rescuers said Wednesday.

"It didn't let go until it died right in his boat," said Bruce Miller, who was the first to try to stop the attack.

Two men were fishing around 5 p.m. Tuesday when a black bear swam towards their boat and jumped aboard, RCMP Sgt. Roger Plamondon said Wednesday.

One of the men threw fish overboard, hoping to distract the bear, but he was still attacked, Plamondon said.
Bruce Miller says he struck the black bear 10 times with a gaff but it wouldn't let go of its victim.

An unidentified 52-year-old man from Saltspring Island was taken to hospital with bites to his shoulder and arm, police said. He underwent surgery and is expected to fully recover.

Miller said he was working on his boat at the Port Renfrew Marina when he heard a "commotion."

"I just happened to look up and this bear was coming out of the water onto the dock, and right into the back of the guy's boat and went right at him," he said Wednesday.

"I had to take a second look … and the guy's friend or his brother was standing on the dock screaming."

Miller ran over with his gaff, a long pole with a sharp hook, and tried to fend off the attack of the bear, weighing about 136 kilograms.

"I gaffed him probably 10 times and was pulling on him and he wouldn't let go of the victim," he said.

"Two or three other guys came over to help and put more sharp stuff in it and gaffed it and beat it with a hammer and it wouldn't let go. Finally another gentleman came over with his filletting knife and cut the bear's throat."

Police said a conservation officer went to the scene and was investigating what prompted the attack.

EDIT: I don't want to scare anybody, but...

Bears have been known to simply ignore pepper spray in some cases.
If you want a good read on bear attacks Stephen Herrero's Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance
http://www.amazon.com/Bear-Attacks-Their-Causes-Avoidance/dp/0941130827
is still the most complete work out there.

Some bears are not stopped by anything less than .30 caliber

Edited by scafool (02/07/09 12:41 AM)

#166633 - 02/07/09 12:17 AM Re: Bear encounter and spray [Re: Susan]
justin2006 Offline

Loc: New Mexico
Originally Posted By: Susan
I had never heard of using an airhorn against a bear. Very interesting!

I live in the mountains where black bears come around in summer time, and I keep a "party air horn" (from WalMart) available. It's effective in scaring away the bears that come around my house.

Regards

#166636 - 02/07/09 02:32 AM Re: Bear encounter and spray [Re: justin2006]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

In this case a bear somewhere in the Yukon has a brain cell file that says people= unpleasant.
I have a nieghbor, insists on putting out trays of nuts for the squirrels. We only have 8 oaktrees in the complex. So, he's out in the rain putting out nuts and a mature raccoon waiting took a finger half off and a series of rabies shots.

#166638 - 02/07/09 03:12 AM Re: Bear encounter and spray [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Colourful Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Yukon

My story:

On fine day, I'm hiking quietly and ''Merde!'', I spook a bear sow and her cub!

They run, fortunately for my skin.

30 min later, going up a trail, I'm ringing my bear-bell as loud as I can and what do I see at the top of the hill? Our young cub, at 20ft max, sniffing some bear food, not even aware I'm there!

The little bugger is either deaf, stupid or simply not able to hear the bell's frequency.

I clapped my hands, spoke to it dirty in French and it ran.

Morale of the story: Don't rely on bear-bells.

A non-scientific test published in Backpacker Magazine demonstrate that clapping your hands, breaking branches and singing is better.

Singing in French also attract women...

I think the best info on bear safety is the DVD : Staying safe in Bear Country.

http://www.bearsmart.com/moreStuff/StayingSafeScript.pdf

PS : As for the predictability of bears, well, they're more predictable than humans. Ha!

#166639 - 02/07/09 04:19 AM Re: Bear encounter and spray [Re: justin2006]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: justin2006
Originally Posted By: Susan
I had never heard of using an airhorn against a bear. Very interesting!

I live in the mountains where black bears come around in summer time, and I keep a "party air horn" (from WalMart) available. It's effective in scaring away the bears that come around my house.

Regards

Thats good to know. I imagine the horn would work for coyotes and the like too? Or I guess you could always use the time tested method of blasting Slim Whitman's "Indian Love Call."

#166648 - 02/07/09 01:30 PM Re: Bear encounter and spray [Re: LED]
nouseforaname Offline
Journeyman

hindsight is 20/20, and arm chair quarterbacking is the hobby du'jour on teh webz, but i would SERIOUSLY re-think going into a known wildlife area without some type of firearm. if black bear are as big as they get in your locale, a small(ish) revolver, or more modern semi loaded with 357, 40, 45, etc., would not only dissuade any would-be attacks, but wouldn't put a 63 year old man up a tree...plus, unlike those unwieldy spray cans, pistols go on the hip and aren't effected by petty things like 'wind', or 'distance'.

good to hear everything worked for ya though...yikes!

#166654 - 02/07/09 03:52 PM Re: Bear encounter and spray [Re: nouseforaname]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Even if you do have a gun permit and the legislation allows carrying a firearm in the area it's not necessarily a be all, end all solution. Handguns are not ideal carry in bear country. Maybe as a backup, but that's about it.

A little anecdote - a couple of LEO's around here were called in when a "hostile" bear invaded a small town a few years ago. It was only a cub but it actually survived two full 9mm mags fired at close range. At which point the LEO's made a hurried retreat to the car and pulled out the long guns. That finally settled the matter.

.44 Magnum is usually considered the minimum as far as bears go. But how many people can control the kick? You'd probably need to score several good hits to stop a bear, even that might not be enough. A 12ga. or decent hunting rifle would be better IMHO but it's still no guarantee.

Another story (LOL I actually have a few more) - I know of a guy who's been hunting for many decades. One time he was stalking deer and ran right into a big bear. In a desperate attempt, the guy fired a quick shot at almost point blank range but missed (probably too much adrenaline). Not having any more time for a follow-up shot with his bolt action, he dropped the rifle and ran like hell. The bear apparently got spooked by the sound of the shot and didn't pursue. A few hours later, the poor guy finally managed to get back to the site to pick up his rifle. He had about a dozen hunter buddies armed to the teeth but his knees were still shaking.

Just something to think about... wink

#166658 - 02/07/09 05:54 PM Re: Bear encounter and spray [Re: Tom_L]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: Tom_L
snip...
A 12ga. or decent hunting rifle would be better IMHO but it's still no guarantee.
..snip wink

I'll take the .44 over the knife. (Don't get me wrong I'll take the knife too.)

The .44 might not be the perfect bear medicine but it also works beyond contact distance. wink

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.