Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#166494 - 02/05/09 03:01 PM Zippo BLU Versus Oubo lighter
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The standard Zippo has been with us for many years and has gained a certain following for its reliability (when the fuel hasn't evaporated), it style and its durability. Even better, Zippo has introduced their latest lighter in a Butane Jet lighter which should get around the long term storage fuel evaporation problem, well not quite.

The latest Zippo BLU just doesn't deliver despite the promises. Firstly, the construction was a disapointment for a lighter at this price point with an RRP of nearly $50, although you can find the Zippo Blu at $30 at Amazon now

http://www.amazon.com/Moteng-30027-Blu-D...6653&sr=8-1

Secondly the Zippo is neither windproof to any real extent (it lacks the platinum wire across the chimney) and can even be a pain to even get to light properly as it can take half a dozen attempts or so with the flint striker (first time lighting is probaly around less than 30-40%). Thirdly there is no flame height adjustment as Zippo states this an automatic function. What Zippo doesn't state is the flame height is completely random.

The Zippo BLU does still have the distinctive click/clunk sound when opening and closing the case just as in the Hollywood films, usually just before the villian meets with that rather unpleasant fiery ending. Problem is the Zippo BLU would have went out before making contact with the gasoline which happens to be lying around in pools on the floor. Steven Segal please take note, your better off sticking with the original Zippo.

This brings us to the Oubo Lighter, its slightly smaller than the Zippo, weighs in at 64 grams compared to Zippo Blu at 74 grams, quality of construction easily surpasses the Zippo BLU (it appears to be all metal construction unlike the Zippo BLU), it is much more windproof (has the platinum wire), always lights 2nd time around, if not the first (it has peizo-electric ignition so doesn't stop working when the flint in the Zippo BLU does), is better looking (has a really nice 2 tone stainless steel finish), can be operated even wearing gloves (unlike the Zippo BLU), has height flame adjustment and costs 1/4 to 1/3 the price of the Zippo BLU. smile

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16699

Both the Zippo BLU and the Oubo are not waterproof. For that you will probably need something like a Brunton Firestorm Lighter (if only it was an all metal construction frown ).

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (02/05/09 03:14 PM)

#166499 - 02/05/09 03:15 PM Re: Zippo BLU Versus Oubo lighter [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Colourful Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Yukon
I prefer Bic. Easier to warm up in extreme cold weather.

#166510 - 02/05/09 04:55 PM Re: Zippo BLU Versus Oubo lighter [Re: Colourful]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

IMHO the Zippo (in all its forms) is pretty much overrated. A lot like the Maglite. It's one of those bits of kit that have been around for a long time and have a solid reputation so it has never really been updated. And even if an attempt is made to improve it eventually, it's a case of too little, too late.

Now, sometimes a product is so good there's just nothing to improve and as they say, one shouldn't try to fix what ain't broken. But then again, some products would benefit from a technological overhaul every now and then when better solutions become available.

I've used a classic Zippo for some time. But even though it's a well made lighter, the fuel evaporates way too fast to be a reliable means of starting fire in my experience. I'm sorry to hear the butane version is so poorly made. Especially when you consider you could get a few dozen BIC lighters for the same price and they're actually more reliable in the bush.

I guess that apart from its reputation, the Zippo only holds appeal to smokers who use and refill their lighters on a very regular basis. If the butane Zippo is that bad, I don't even see what target group it could be aimed at.

#166535 - 02/05/09 11:07 PM Re: Zippo BLU Versus Oubo lighter [Re: Tom_L]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Great review Am_Fear_Liath_Mor.

#166559 - 02/06/09 03:13 AM Re: Zippo BLU Versus Oubo lighter [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Mogg Offline
Stranger

I have a zippo blu, one of the first ones to hit the shelves,
and I have to respectfully disagree with some portions of this review.

Ok, the case could be a bit thicker, and yes, it could be more wind resistant, I agree with your points there, but as for the random flame height, and the unreliability of ignition, I've only seen those issues crop up when using Ronson butane.

With Colibri butane, I get mainly first try ignition, and a dependable flame height, unless the lighter is low on fuel, and by low, I mean you have only one or two ignitions left.

The unreliability and flame height problems you are describing do sound like fuel issues to me.

To properly light the Blu, first press down on the spark wheel, hold it for a second or so, then spark it, in the process pressing and holding the fuel button. If you don't first hold the wheel down, then the lighter will not light reliabily.

I've lit my Blu while wearing gloves, but down here in Alabama, we don't have much use for heavy gloves, so YMMV.

Now all this being said, the Blu is a great lighter for urban use, or for lighting ciggarettes, but not exactly what I'd keep in my bob or carry while camping. For that I use either bic lighters or Tiger lighters. Tigers will digest and burn any butane out there. I just had one finally go TU after six years or so of daily use, and am certainly in the market for another.

must be the one
with the axe.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.