The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#166309 - 02/03/09 11:43 PM Kids and Fire
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
for the next week or so i'll be a volunteer at a local nature center.the schools are bringing out bus loads of grade school students to take part in a Voyageurs and Trappers program.
there are four parts and each kids takes part in all of them.
a snowshoe hike,a vist to "trader jims" which is a wonderful collection of trade goods items that a local reenactor has put together.then meeting the voyageurs for a trip from Quebec to the Grand Portage in Minnesota.the canoe is an outline on the meeting room floor and the staff in compleat outfits tells the story and the kids take up little paddles and sing and get to try out carrying a bundle with a tump line..OK--as i don't have a story all worked out and i just got into this without any kind of reenactors outfit i got the task of the "fire keeper" at the trappers camp which had all the items you would expect.while the staff went thru what it was like to winter over i kept a pot of wild rice warm for everyone to have a taste of..

so now the point of this post...here and at other site we have all read of how kids these days don't get to do the same sort of things as we did--like make fires and handle knives--
well here they did.after trying out flint and steel and have a demo of a fire bow the kids got into groups of three and made a fire--tinder and birch bark were provided and they got down to it with just minor adult supervision.

this group was just about leaping up and down--"we did it! we made a fire"--wood kitchen matches were handed out,one each and they all had a go at it. i would say the future is in good hands--

Edited by CANOEDOGS (02/03/09 11:48 PM)

#166311 - 02/03/09 11:49 PM Re: Kids and Fire [Re: CANOEDOGS]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Other than the dreaded white stuff it looks like a hoot!!!

#166329 - 02/04/09 01:10 AM Re: Kids and Fire [Re: OldBaldGuy]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
So, how does making a fire on the snow directly work? Does the fire sink gradually, or stay "afloat?"

#166332 - 02/04/09 01:31 AM Re: Kids and Fire [Re: MDinana]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
That looks like time well spent. The white tent reminds me of the old civil war era tents I've seen at reinactments. The kids are lucky to have your help.

- Ron

#166339 - 02/04/09 02:09 AM Re: Kids and Fire [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Thanks for the information and the photos. It is great to see kids being able to learn and practice some valuable skills that one day may help save their lives.

#166340 - 02/04/09 02:13 AM Re: Kids and Fire [Re: ]
dougwalkabout Online   confused
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Absolutely bloody awesome. Well done, brother.

#166427 - 02/04/09 07:40 PM Re: Kids and Fire [Re: MDinana]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: MDinana
So, how does making a fire on the snow directly work? Does the fire sink gradually, or stay "afloat?"

You could actually wind up putting the fire out with the melting snow. One of our scouts had issues with that when trying to start a fire in a snowed over fire pit.

#166431 - 02/04/09 07:56 PM Re: Kids and Fire [Re: MDinana]
yelp Offline

Loc: Colorado
Canoedogs: Fantastic! That's time well spent.

Sinks and will eventually self-extinguish as Mike_H noted. If you're staying put (in a camp, for instance) it is always worth the effort to dig down to the ground to build your fire...if you end up moving snow all night, well then you end up moving snow all night. (You do have a snow shovel, right?) If you need a fire right NOW, slap a piece of aluminum foil on the ground and start your fire on that. Move it to your prepared firebed when ready.

#166433 - 02/04/09 07:59 PM Re: Kids and Fire [Re: MDinana]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#166439 - 02/04/09 08:41 PM Re: Kids and Fire [Re: Doug_Ritter]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i see Doug beat me too it..the little voyageurs had the same question and i told them that they would lay out a bed of logs and make the fire on top of that--no foil in the 1700's..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.