Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#166187 - 02/03/09 04:17 AM Re: My EDC and GHB [Re: Desperado]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
I really like your GHB. Well done. My personal preference would be to remove some of material you are carrying to reduce weight. Overall, my thinking would be to get home quicker (by carrying less weight) than to travel those 20 miles prepared for just about anything.

I see that above you said some of this wouldn't be making a trip with you but I can't help myself and so I'll make some suggestions. If this were my kit designed (only) for me to walk 20 miles, I would drop many things to save weight (and possibly carry more water).
For example:
- 2nd pair of EMT shears
- Playing and plant cards, Ref Guide, Bible (I am no doubt cursed for this thought)
- many of the food items like the jerky which would give me heartburn and make me carry extra Tums (have you considered a blister pack of Prilosec or similar medication instead?).
- extra lights and mostly reduce the spare batteries.
- most of the quarters (use a credit card to make a phone call or call collect)
- sharpening rods and the base (maybe keep one rod?)
- the small pry bars and Nite-ize 9s

Consider adding something like Moleskin or other blister products. I see you have extra glasses. Are they sun glasses? One other thought would be several feet of clear tubing to use as a siphon or that might allow you to suck up canal or lake water without risking a tumble down a steep concrete embankment.

The most bizarre thing I could suggest would be some sort of sun umbrella or other shade that you could rig to your pack to give your entire body shade. This could make a huge difference in Phoenix. As an added bonus, people might think you're nuts and stay away.

Finally, perhaps some goggles for any sandstorm you may have to walk through.

#166193 - 02/03/09 06:56 AM Re: My EDC and GHB [Re: Yuccahead]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
I have a very similar profession, LeeG smile
And, no wonder, - a very similar bag!

However, mine is smaller and more casual looking. Thus it's always with me. That's because I'm wearing the Socttevest vest loaded with about 6 pounds of similar stuff in addition to the bag.

What I don't see in your great kit is a good heavy duty multitool (I EDC Juice too, but that's not enough quite often). The duct tape can be more versatile in signaling colors (red/orange). And for every IT pro I'd recommend to carry not simply a steel wire but an insulated one. Also I've found that all of the USB battery chargers are ridiculously underpowered (slow charging). A regular AC or car charger is much better. Maybe for your environment you should look at some good EDC water filters too. I like the really compact, and lightweight one from here: http://aquamira.com/consumer/aquamira-frontier-filter

Also I agree with Yuccahead - consider replacing Tums with a bit more expensive but much more compact, durable, faster acting, and longer lasting acid reducer (like Prilosec, Ranitidine, etc). Regarding the goggles. I'm carrying a pair of good swimming goggles (again - much more compact and versatile then anything else like that, plus added bonus of nutsness - as usual wink ).

By the way, is that Stainless Steel Nalgene Bottle fits inside the Cup?

#166195 - 02/03/09 08:01 AM Re: My EDC and GHB [Re: LeeG]
LED Offline
Veteran

Nice, well thought out kit. Since you mentioned the route is mostly flat why not pack a cheap luggage dolly or filecrate carrier? That way you could pack lots of water and take all that weight off the shoulders. Milwaukee sells a folding hand truck at Home Depot that's supposed to haul 150lbs. So far the most I've loaded mine moving furniture was about 85lbs. but it worked great.

#166197 - 02/03/09 11:59 AM Re: My EDC and GHB [Re: LED]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
Just on the tums vs. prilosec commentary - prilosec and it's generic equivalents are not fast-acting. They are preventative for acid reflux. For an acute heartburn/indigestion attack, tums would be better.

#166201 - 02/03/09 12:47 PM Re: My EDC and GHB [Re: tomfaranda]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
I actually find the inclusion of the Bible as very interesting.

For a "get-me-home" type of bag, maybe a bit out of place. For a BOB where you are planning on surviving off of, definitely a good idea. Sometimes, when times are tough, you just need a little uplifting...

#166206 - 02/03/09 01:40 PM Re: My EDC and GHB [Re: Mike_H]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I picked up a "sportsmans Bible" one time, its small and has several pages dealing with things like first aid and outdoor survival. I keep it in the pockt of my truck and my GHB is under the seat. I figure in a simple get home situation some of those extras in that Bible could be handy too.

#166265 - 02/03/09 07:05 PM Re: My EDC and GHB [Re: Eugene]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I live in Mesa. Its a good kit.

#166276 - 02/03/09 07:34 PM Re: My EDC and GHB [Re: Desperado]
Loganenator Offline
Bike guy

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
Thanks for sharing LeeG,

I agree with some of the other comments here regarding weight saving and the focus on the goal for the kit. A GHB usually implies a more short-term scenario than a traditional BOB. The easiest way to reduce weight typically is to evaluate the multi-use nature of each item. Redundancy in your priorities like fire is important however redundancy in all areas (e.g. lights) can get very heavy.

An example of the multi-use strategy could be illustrated in the metal storage containers of your kit. If your nalgene bottle is single walled steel and you can boil water in it do you really need the additional metal cup?

If you could make the time on say on a weekend or holiday you might try a practice run. By walking that distance with your GHB you could take notes on your observations regarding what you used from your kit, what you needed, the time, etc.

Great pics and a wonderful conversation starter smile. I've been trying to cut the weight of my DW's kit and I'll have to post pics here to get some comments and ideas. smile

Cheers,
L

#166284 - 02/03/09 08:27 PM Re: My EDC and GHB [Re: Loganenator]
symphonyincminor Offline
Stranger

Great set-up, but it reads more like an actual 'Bug Out Bag' rather than a 'Get Me Home Bag'. Way too heavy for a 22 mile walk.

Focus on what exactly you'll need to Getcha Home. Blasphemy, for sure, but you don't need much beyond: water, energy (food), and a good pair of hiking shoes/boots.

The first aid supplies you carry in your pocket are more than sufficient, but look out for blisters. How would you deal with a sprained ankle?

Flashlights: drop everything except the Surefire you carry and leave the Arc in the backpack. Throw in a couple of spare CR123's and AAA's and you're set on the lights. I love flashlights, but you have some serious overkill in that department.

Leave the electronic goodies out - look how much spare stuff (recharging equipment, USB extras, camera, spare rechargables) you have to carry for it all. That stuff isn't going to Getcha Home any faster.

All those plastic compartments add up (in weight) when you have as many as you do. Redundancy is good, but 2 EMT shears? 3 compasses? I know this stuff doesn't take up much room, but when you're doubling up on a lot of items, the weight kinda creeps up on you.

You have a lot of excellent, quality gear: take that pack for a 2 mile hike and see what you can let go of and what needs to stay.

#166302 - 02/03/09 10:49 PM Re: My EDC and GHB [Re: symphonyincminor]
LeeG Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for all the comments so far.

One thing to keep in mind is that while I plan on using some of the items in here to get me home in an emergency, that is really not the entire purpose.

All the electronic gear in the outer pouch - almost everything in there gets used on a very regular basis. The snacks and stuff in the upper pouch get used up almost every poker tourney I play in. This bag inherited several of the items that used to belong in a laptop bag, but I don't need to carry the laptop anymore so some of that stuff ended up in here.

The FAK also has some moleskin and some of that AMK blister shield stuff in it as well as some more duct tape.

The stuff that I have in there as basically 'at work conveniences' weighs out at 7.5lbs, bringing the pack weight to 14 without water. I'm sure there are a few more pounds of stuff that can go or be combined.

I've been doing a few half mile walks with it, and wear it during parts of my workouts. In a couple weeks, I plan on bumping my walks to 1-2 miles as I start getting ready to get back into hiking after a 4 year hiatus.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.