Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#166125 - 02/02/09 09:19 PM down with the flu
Stoney Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Michigan
I just got my mom home from the hospital (age 86) and with no one to help me, don'tcha know I come down with flu. I keep running to the bathroom, for various reasons. I'll spare you the details cause I'm not here to burden you with my problems, I just wanted to share this... With a temp of 100.2 and chills that are very uncharacteristic for me nothing and i mean NOTHING will get or keep me warm, except my AMK heatsheet! Thank God, and who ever came up with this modern marvel. The only thing better is if every drug store on every corner of America stocked them and they ought to. If you gotta be sick I sincerely hope you have on too.

#166129 - 02/02/09 09:41 PM Re: down with the flu [Re: Stoney]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Hope you both feel better soon.

#166147 - 02/02/09 11:25 PM Re: down with the flu [Re: Stoney]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Sorry to hear you're sick Stoney.

Remember to drink plenty of fluids to keep yourself hydrated (tough to do when you feel like cr@p I know).

I hope your mom got the flu vaccine for this year. Lots of hand washing can help keep from spreading the flu virus to your mom.

Take care.

#166150 - 02/02/09 11:52 PM Re: down with the flu [Re: samhain]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Miserable. God speed and good luck on a quick recovery.

By any chance do you have an N95 mask that you can wear when you're around your mom? She really needs to not catch the flu. And as Sam said: Lots of hand washing. Disinfecting door knobs, etc, too.

The Washington Post is reporting today that across the river in Virginia they're poised for a major outbreak within the next couple weeks.

No movie theaters for me until that all passes.

Edited by Dagny (02/02/09 11:53 PM)

#166160 - 02/03/09 12:51 AM Re: down with the flu [Re: Stoney]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Dude, that is a tough one.

Hydrate, Hydrate, HYDRATE!

Hope you get to feeling better.

Edited by Desperado (02/03/09 12:52 AM)

RIP OBG

#166218 - 02/03/09 03:07 PM Re: down with the flu [Re: Desperado]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
If you are running a fever, the last thing you want is to get warmer. Take tylenol or ibuprofren or naproxen and don't bundle up.

My wife is like that, she gets sick and won't take the appropriate meds, then gets the chills and wants to bundle up. She did that one time and her fever went from 101 to 104+ and I ended up stripping her down and throwing her in the tub after getting some advil in her. 15 minutes later her temp came down to managable and the chills reduced and she was able to lay in bed comfortably with just a sheet on.

If you know you are running a fever, don't treat the symptom by bundling up, you will only make matters worse.

#166219 - 02/03/09 03:10 PM Re: down with the flu [Re: Desperado]
Stoney Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Michigan
Ah, gallons of water later and after following doctors advise I can eat solid food again. Mom had her flu shot so she's okay but I skimped on mine. Thanks for your good wishes and advise, and yeah i guess I'll give up $25 to get the shot next year. You'd think the insurance would pay for it wouldn't you? Well I'll go to the doctor and get lots of goodies anyway.

Thanks again

#166225 - 02/03/09 03:42 PM Re: down with the flu [Re: Desperado]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: Desperado
Dude, that is a tough one.

Hydrate, Hydrate, HYDRATE!

Hope you get to feeling better.

Definitely! I got hit with a 24hr variant of it which left me very dehydrated. I had to force myself to drink water. Then I remember electrolyte tablets that I purchased for my survival kit and I was putting those into my water. I think it really help bring me back to snuff.

#166226 - 02/03/09 03:55 PM Re: down with the flu [Re: Stoney]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Next time if the H2O doesn't do it, don't be afraid to ask a doctor to IV you up. Last round thru I was home alone. Family was out of state, and I spent the last night laying in the shower floor with the water running all night (thank goodness for tankless water heater). Next AM I had to drive myself to the ER (a Sunday). They had IV's running in both arms. It was either 4 or 6 bags before I even felt the need to use the facilities. I was way dried out. Couple of hours later I felt like a new man, a new man with a really nasty shower to clean. Then they wouldn't let me leave! Next morning I convinced them to let me go by asking nicely several times, and then ramping up the PIA factor.

The shower had not cleaned itself.....

RIP OBG

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.