Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#165 - 02/14/01 01:08 AM Do you carry a kit daily?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I do! So I thought I'd share what I've come up with. I call it my DCPK, Daily Carry Pocket Kit. It has basics, but seems to get used for mundane tasks as well as survival needs. The safety pins seem to get the most use.<br><br>I have made some alterations since I made the page, but this will give you the idea. Have fun!<br><br>DCPK<br><br>Plainsman <br>Plainsman's Cabin Homepage<br>Plainsman's Cabin Forums

#166 - 02/14/01 02:24 PM Re: Do you carry a kit daily?
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
I do. I carry it to work with me in my nylon briefcase. My problem is finding something else in which to carry it on weekends so I don't look like supergeek. I'm on a quest for the "ultimate" gear bag. Big enough to carry gear comfortably, small enough to be inobtrusive.<br><br>Craig<br><br>

#167 - 02/14/01 03:25 PM Re: Do you carry a kit daily?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I found that a fanny pack is large enough to carry the essentials but small enough that I will wear it. Mine is 4" x 6" x 9" and is black. Simple thing I picked up a Target for about $12. I keep it in the glove box of my vehicle. Easy to wear during family outings to the park, festivals, hikes. <br><br>I would say the duct tape, band-aids, and knife are the mostly frequently used items.<br><br>

#168 - 02/14/01 06:55 PM Re: Do you carry a kit daily?
Craig Offline

I may have to try that. Maybe it won't make me look too geeky.<br><br>Craig<br><br>

#169 - 02/14/01 07:24 PM Re: Do you carry a kit daily?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Consider a shoulder holster rig sans holster.Usually a magazine pouch is on opposite side. Just specify mag pouch on both sides and your purpose. There are many Available in leather and man made materials.<br><br>

#170 - 02/15/01 02:07 PM Re: Do you carry a kit daily?
Craig Offline

Sounds like a cool rig. This is probably an urban legend, but I heard that a guy got shot by a police officer because the officer thought the guy was going for a gun, but it was actually a liquor bottle in a shoulder holster.<br><br>Craig<br><br>

#171 - 02/21/01 03:22 PM Re: Do you carry a kit daily?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I do. I carry a combat survival kit from BCB on my gunbelt. I added a small pocket knife inside as I didn't like the cheapo one included in the kit. I already carry a S&W S.W.A.T. folder which I am highly impressed with.<br><br>

#172 - 02/21/01 05:03 PM Re: Do you carry a kit daily?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I took a long weekend vacation out of town this past weekend. Wore my fanny pack with me everywhere. The only problem was I have three things dangleing from the zippers that jingle jangle. That and one of them, the whistle, is bright yellow. People tended to look at the fanny pack because it make noise and the yellow whistle against the black pack caught their eye. <br><br>Well, during our strolling around town, I found a pack outlet place that offered a fanny pack that 1) has a wider belt 2) longer but less tall 3)more pockets for only $10. I bought it and transferred the contents to the new pack. I like it better already. It has a very thin pocket at the back which is perfect for storing money. I am able to separate the supplies into multiple pockets so less rummaging around for stuff. <br><br>In four days of travel, I only had to use the notepad and pencil. I found that to be unusal. I usually pull out the SAK, duct tape, and bandaid on a trip of this duration. Oh, I did use the SAK in my other pack when my wife wanted a toothpick.<br><br>Now I just need to get a black whistle so it is not so eye catching. I think I will move the AAA flashlight and zipper compass inside so they do not make so much noise and movement attracting attention.<br><br>

#173 - 10/24/01 08:38 AM Re: Do you carry a kit daily?
jet Offline
Enthusiast

In addition to the other junk I carry, I've recently finished assembling a micro kit in an approx. 2 3/8" x 1 5/8" x 5/8" Altoids "Tiny Tin". It is extremely small, and though I'll likely never need it, it feels good to have it just sort of for the principle of the matter. ;-)<br><br>It contains:<br><br>EMERGENCY DEVICES GROUP<br>-----------------------<br>1 button compass<br>1 single-edged razor blade<br>1 "Exacto" type razorknife blade<br>1 short (2") length of hacksaw blade<br>1 trick self-relighting birthday candle<br>1 B.C.B. wire saw w/ 2 split rings f/ handles<br>1 Done Right Mfg. "Sparky" magnesium/flint firestarter<br>4 B.C.B. "NATO Lifeboat Matches" w/ 2 cardboard (Coughlan's) strikers<br>1 Four Seasons Survival "Spark Lite" & 7 "Tinder Quik" waterproof tinders<br><br>WATER & FOOD GROUP<br>------------------<br>8 Schering-Plough "Puritabs" water disinfectant chlorine tablets (exp 3/05)<br><br>MISCELLANEOUS/MULTI-PURPOSE GROUP<br>---------------------------------<br>1 large safety pin<br>1 small safety pin<br>1 large paper clip<br>1 small paper clip<br>1 large sewing needle<br>1 small sewing needle<br>1 plastic covered wire "Twist Tie"<br>4 small pieces of "100MPH" tape (stuck to bottom of tin)<br>3' 3M "Scotch 35" orange vinyl electrical tape (sealing the lid of the tin)<br>5' Kelty "Triptease LightLine" 2mm spectra/nylon tent guyline (wrapped around tin)<br>4' 550# test 7-strand mil-spec paracord (wrapped around tin, over the guyline)<br><br>What I now realize is missing is thread! D'oh! And, maybe, a great big rubber band cut from a bicycle inner tube. Since that'll be wrapped around the outside, it'll add bulk. I'll have to see if it's worth it.

#174 - 10/24/01 12:27 PM Re: Do you carry a kit daily?
Craig Offline

The image at the top of the DCPK page is broken.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.