Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#165873 - 01/31/09 07:40 PM Re: EDCing a pocket CPR mask and nitrile gloves [Re: kd7fqd]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
Car, office, home, and daypack all have FAK's with mask and gloves, but, I don't actually EDC them on me. I have a couple of the Red Cross keychain kits floating around too, in glove compartments of our cars. I figure that under most situations, I have one of those options handy.

I recert regularly on WFA and CPR, but, mostly cause we require having 2 people certified on any outdoor trips with the troop. When I was a volunteer on SAR years ago (80's) in the White Mountains, I did the "old fashioned" 2 person CPR once, drowning situation, no mask....... someone mentioned in an earlier post how the training doesn't prepare you for breaking a rib, or an unsuccessful attempt... they also don't mention the concept of projectile vomit... sick

- Ron

#165885 - 01/31/09 10:47 PM Re: EDCing a pocket CPR mask and nitrile gloves [Re: kd7fqd]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Yeah I EDC surgical gloves. But I also use a backpack so plenty of room. It might be a bit prissy but I use the surgical gloves for all kinds of stuff like dealing with greasy bike chains when in nice clothes among other things.

I did carry a key CPR mask in my car or gym bag but stopped.

#165887 - 01/31/09 11:00 PM Re: EDCing a pocket CPR mask and nitrile gloves [Re: Frankie]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Originally Posted By: Arney
Good for you for going through training, regardless of whether it was a personal choice or a work requirement.

It was a work requirement.

Originally Posted By: Arney
But beyond that simple choice, being able to remember what you were taught is the most important thing. If you don't periodically refresh your memory, it becomes very easy to forget.

They gave us a book and a booklet (protocol) to put in the first aid kit. The trainer knew the pages by heart as if it was the bible. It was funny, he asked us to name a page and he would tell us exactly what was the subject at that particular page. He made many jokes.

Originally Posted By: ratbert42
It's even worse with all the movies and TV shows where 15 seconds of CPR, chest pounding, and yelling always bring the patient back.

I know. They emphasized this.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Frankie

#165897 - 02/01/09 01:31 AM Re: EDCing a pocket CPR mask and nitrile gloves [Re: Frankie]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

In the 70's I helped found a volunteer ambulance corps that serves a very busy urban area. I became an EMT when you could be certified in a challange written/practical exam. I've done CPR dozens, yes dozens of times, both with and without equipment. In all that experience, I only had three sucessful rescitations. But heh, three is better than none. I don't carry gloves and a mask in my pockets, but they're part of my home/car/briefcase kits.

#165906 - 02/01/09 02:01 AM Re: EDCing a pocket CPR mask and nitrile gloves [Re: Frankie]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
Back in college when I was en EMT I kept gloves all over and a Laredel Pocket Mask in my book bag. The mask and a set of gloves made the transition with me to the working world and stayed exactly where I put them in my briefcase for years. I have no idea where they are now.

I recently joined my local volunteer EMS squad, and I guess I'm the exception that proves the rule, for the time being. My first call with the squad was last week. 60-something male with chest pains. All went well until we were about halfway to the ER, when he crashed big time. CPR and defib in a moving ambulance with lights and sirens blaring sure is exciting. The good news is that the patient was taken off the respirator this morning. He lived. (Very different from the traumatic arrests others have spoken of, where there is very little chance of successful resuscitation.) This is the first CPR I've been involved in, and the fact that it worked has me totally in awe.

I don't think I could watch someone go down without helping, so I feel I owe it to my family to get a mask back into my bag, which is with me almost all of the time when I'm out of the house.

#165911 - 02/01/09 03:01 AM Re: EDCing a pocket CPR mask and nitrile gloves [Re: Jesselp]
nurit Offline

Loc: NYC
Jesselp, good for you!!

And many, many thanks for giving your time and energy to help in this way.

#165947 - 02/01/09 03:23 PM Re: EDCing a pocket CPR mask and nitrile gloves [Re: Frankie]
inkslngr Offline
Journeyman

Loc: AZ
If you are TRAINED in pre-hospital care, do you have a legal obligation to lend assistance?

NO

Do you have a moral obligation?

I believe so.

This is a decsion I belive we all need to make before confronted with an incident.

If you decide you will help, then be prepared.

Cardinal rule when assisting someone you don't know; If it's wet don't get it on you! PERIOD! There are just to many things out there that once you are exsposed they never go away. Many are fatal, many more will make your life miserable for the rest of your days.

Just not worth taking the chance.

#165978 - 02/01/09 10:12 PM Re: EDCing a pocket CPR mask and nitrile gloves [Re: Frankie]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I've got a simple mask (AMK's CPR Medic got used for parts of my EDC FAK), and three pairs of nitrites.

That being said, if I didn't have them, I'm not sure if it would stop me.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#165979 - 02/01/09 10:22 PM Re: EDCing a pocket CPR mask and nitrile gloves [Re: ironraven]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...I'm not sure if it would stop me..."

Be very careful doing that. Victims, 'specially if the rescuer is getting too much air into their stomach, have a tendency to upchuck, right into your mouth if you don't have a mask. That is why they invented the one way valve. Rough it would be, but in todays world, there are kids being born with AIDS and other nasty things every day. I will not go bareback on anyone I don't know, period...

#165992 - 02/02/09 12:12 AM Re: EDCing a pocket CPR mask and nitrile gloves [Re: OldBaldGuy]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I know the risks. smile But I also know me. I not sure I could stand there and sit on my hands. That is why I carry a mask. :P I know I'm prone to being a bonehead.

Ok, to be honest, for SOME people, I know I could do it.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.