The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#165837 - 01/31/09 02:58 PM Re: Shotgun Question [Re: snoman]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
If you are going to fire it inside, at all, please be darned sure you have good ear protection. You should have ear and eye protection when shooting any firearm anywhere. But if you fire a shotgun in basement without ear protection, you won't hear much besides ringing for a while.

Being able to load and fire rounds with little thought as to mechanics is important, and that means practice, which also helps with hitting your targets.

The next thing is knowing that the shotgun does not come out unless it is going to be used. Pulling it out with out knowing you can pull the trigger and shoot at a person is a recipe for disaster. I guess I will never know I can do it, unless ad until I have need to do it, and I hope that never happens. However, I don't think it's an issue, and I know that inflicting harm on someone has not been something I've been afraid to do in the past.

The change I want to make to DW's and my shotguns for home defense are shorter barrells.

#165838 - 01/31/09 03:00 PM Re: Shotgun Question [Re: snoman]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I agree very much with practicing at the range. Maybe even shooting some clay pigeons.

I am not sure about dummy rounds for practice though. It seems a lot of people get shot with dummy shells.

#165843 - 01/31/09 03:09 PM Re: Shotgun Question [Re: Blackeagle]
snoman Offline

Originally Posted By: Blackeagle
If you hear a bump in the night and find the batteries in your weapon mounted light are dead, it's good to know how to back it up with a handheld light.

I can only add that doing an armed search of your home after hearing a noise is dangerous to all involved. People who don't understand 'Condition RED' have shot their own children sneaking home late at night. This is something that under most scenarios should be left to the pros (if that's possible, of course). Not knowing the layout of your home, I can't suggest much except that I once said to a friend who told me his wife, while he was away, did a midnight search of their home armed with a shotgun after 'hearing something.' I told him I thought it was a bad idea and suggested that, if it ever happened again, she should lock herself, kids and dog in the master bedroom and call the police. Have a house key connected to either a piece of brightly-painted broomstick or a cyalume light stick and toss it down to the police when they show. Let them clear your house. If you hear something outside the bedroom door, shout out in a loud voice that you're armed and will shoot if you have to.

#165848 - 01/31/09 03:23 PM Re: Shotgun Question [Re: scafool]
snoman Offline

Originally Posted By: scafool
I am not sure about dummy rounds for practice though. It seems a lot of people get shot with dummy shells.

I have a few 12 gauge shells that are clearly marked with the word "dummy" on the side of the shell. They are completely inert and are for function testing only. There is no way to "get shot" with dummy shells unless someone foolishly mixed in some live ammo.

#165851 - 01/31/09 03:46 PM Re: Shotgun Question [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Look at police training. One hand has a big old maglight STRETCHED off to the side and the duty arm in the other..."

Actually, that is the pretty much antiquated FBI technique. Most officers/agencies found that it was pretty difficult to point the weapon with one hand and the flashlight with the other hand at the same point. Most officers nowadays either have the light attached to a rail under their weapon, or use the Harrris technique . Won't work well with a shotgun of course...

#165858 - 01/31/09 04:28 PM Re: Shotgun Question [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
snoman Offline

Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
In addtion, if I was a burlar and saw a light my reaction would be to shoot AT the light. Look at police training. One hand has a big old maglight STRETCHED off to the side and the duty arm in the other.

Actually, that's the 'old school' way. Training today usually teaches the Harries Technique if you're using a pistol or a weapon-mounted lamp if using a longarm. The mistake most people make is clicking the lamp on and leaving it on - thereby attracting fire. You're better off using flashlights with momentary-on buttons and 'flashing' the lamp on and off quickly, like a flash bulb. Flash it on and off - and then move.
The Harries Technique was created by the late Michael Harries. If you're right-handed, you would hold your pistol in your right hand and your flashlight in your left, with the head facing away from your thumb. Hold you right arm out as you normally would and bring your left hand, with your flashlight, under your right with the backs of your hands touching. You would then use your middle finger to turn on (and off) your flashlight if it's switch is on the side, or use your thumb to turn on your flashlight if it's switch is on the rear. The Harries Technique allows a more secure two-hand hold while still being able to use a flashlight.

#165862 - 01/31/09 05:07 PM Re: Shotgun Question [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...I'd go with a weapon mounted light..."

That is without a doubt the best way. Unfortunately, it is not always an option...

#165869 - 01/31/09 07:13 PM Re: Shotgun Question [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
I think you need to forget about adding whistles and bells and just learn to shoot it well. Do you want a self defense weapon or guard duty at some USAF base against sabotuers?
the late,great Bill Jordan was asked what he used for home defense. He answered his Model 12 used for upland huntingt was always by his bed.

If you ever need to use your shotgun for "defensive" uses, all those bells and whistles will not make you look good in front of a jury. You can bet a good prosecutor will point out every addition at least once and possibly several times to the jury. Stick with factory components and factory loads.

#165876 - 01/31/09 08:34 PM Re: Shotgun Question [Re: snoman]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: snoman
Originally Posted By: scafool

I have a few 12 gauge shells that are clearly marked with the word "dummy" on the side of the shell. They are completely inert and are for function testing only. There is no way to "get shot" with dummy shells unless someone foolishly mixed in some live ammo.

Ah, that is the rub isn't it, Lumpyjaw.
Nothing is ever fool proof, but we try to make things as foolproof as possible.

Anyhow, others have pointed out the legal implications of turning your sporting gun into an assault weapon.

Nobody has mentioned that doing so makes it into a less effective hunting or sport weapon.
If all the fancy tactical stuff actually helped you point or shoot faster then the people who shoot at skeet competitions would all be doing it.
A shotgun with a well fitted stock and a coach length barrel is still the fastest pointing firearm you can find.

#165888 - 01/31/09 11:28 PM Re: Shotgun Question [Re: scafool]
LumpyJaw Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Virginia, USA
Thank you for all the input/insight to my questions. After reading all of the above, I've decided that the gun looks fine and I like it jsut the way it is.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 443 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.