Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#165404 - 01/28/09 03:02 AM Mora Knives
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Okay,

I really don't want to start a "which knife is best" contest. They always go the way of "which handgun/auto maker/computer is best" followed closely by, "I can pee farther than you".

My statements/questions follow.....

I have notice an affinity that many here have for the Mora (and similar) knives. I am totally unfamiliar with them, but have seen a nice price on one particular Mora

at Sportsman's Guide.

Is this a quality knife?
Would it be a cost effective/quality piece of equipment for the multiple BOB's everyone and their brother wants me to make all of the sudden?

Please let me know what you think??

Mora knife at Sportsman's Guide

Edited by Desperado (01/28/09 03:03 AM)

RIP OBG

#165406 - 01/28/09 03:16 AM Re: Mora Knives [Re: Desperado]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

I have one and it is scary sharp... i prefer the #1 from ragweed forge.. 10 dollars and a nice wood handle smile

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#165409 - 01/28/09 03:27 AM Re: Mora Knives [Re: climberslacker]
Matt Offline

Loc: Texas
It is my understanding that the more "traditional" wilderness survival instructors prefer these knives while the military / SERE instructors prefer the "sharpened pry bar".

I don't own one..yet (thinking about it) , but I haven't run across any negative reviews/ratings/comments. The PROS tend to be cost and decent steel. The blade may be thin for some folks.

#165411 - 01/28/09 03:37 AM Re: Mora Knives [Re: Desperado]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Mora is actually a city and region in Sweden and it's knifemaking center. The companies recently merged, much like Victorinox and Wenger out of economic necessity.
You can se virtually the entire line @ www.ragweedforge.com

Your basic Mora drop point can be had in Stainless steel, laminated and carbon, though most are now S/S. For a low cash outlay, you get a decent knife with an easy to sharpen edge. And, like virtually all factory mass produced knives, Moras, though usually quite sharp will improve dramtically with a good trueing of the blade.
This particular model is a cosmetic version of at least three options Ragnar carries. It has a lanyard hole and functional but cheap sheath. Eric in Canada, who made the sheath for Doug's soon to be available offering makes a sheath for this model.

Mora is the preferred knife of canadian instructor Mors Kochanski ( bear in mind he also carries an axe for his woodcraft.) It is also a popular survival school knife as a introductory piece to learn safe handling and sharpening.

The low end entry price is a big factor in buying multiple knives for kits.

AS little known feature of Moras is their ability to saprk with a flint. I am not talking a knife sparking a metal match, but the reverse. The high carbon moras are the only readilly available knife with both carbon content and high Rockwell to produce sparks with flint ( or glass etc)
You need to dress the spine with a file to get a clean striking plane.This is a minor point, but to some a additional benefit.

Moras and their scandinavian brothers are woodcraft knives. yes, you can split smaller billets for firewood with a little forthought, prepare game and perform a myriad of duties, but a machete, $300 crowbar or multi use gismo they are not.

#165414 - 01/28/09 03:48 AM Re: Mora Knives [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Ok, I have more questions.

If these are great knives, how are they so inexpensive???

Or are the prices shown on ragweed old/wrong.

RIP OBG

#165417 - 01/28/09 04:15 AM Re: Mora Knives [Re: Desperado]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I don't know, maybe they play ABBA music until the workers make quota.
The Mora knife industry has long produced a basic product. They dont use wunder steels, but the mills produce raw stock pretty close to some old familiar names. If you look closely, the edges are actually slightly hollowground, the cheapest edge to mass produce and a scandi edge after stoning is just so much better.
The classic red paint versions are a structural engineer's worst nightmare when taken apart.
Ragnar's prices shown are always current.
Buy a few,mess with them and you will understand.

#165418 - 01/28/09 04:15 AM Re: Mora Knives [Re: Desperado]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Desperado

The finish is not a work of beauty. These are not "show knives", they are "working knives". The sheaths are functional, but cheap.

I love the two Moras I have. They are fantastic utility knives from around the house. We'll cut anything with them without worrying about "will this damage the knife?", which can be a problem with more expensive knives. You're more worried about protecting the knife than actually using it when you pay a big chunk of change to purchase it.

#165419 - 01/28/09 04:49 AM Re: Mora Knives [Re: haertig]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

I carry a Gerber LMF II ASEK in my pack. It was a gift that moved and ancient Ka-Bar into retirement. Looks aren't my concern. Function and quality are.

"The classic red paint versions are a structural engineer's worst nightmare when taken apart"

HUH?? Red Paint Versions..

Ya' just did it again Chris. Google wasn't any help. Cough up.

Edited by Desperado (01/28/09 05:01 AM)

RIP OBG

#165420 - 01/28/09 05:12 AM Re: Mora Knives [Re: haertig]
RoverOver Offline

Loc: Kali4nya
The handles fit the hand,Very Well.Grip will Never be a Problem,including Gut Grease,Blood,etc.& Since the grips are of a Plastic/Rubber Composition,Your hand won't be frozen, when in use,Up in the High Yonders!The blade is Definitely Tough/Resilient,& Can Hone slick with a strop,Quite well!The sheaths are OK & can be covered with a thin hide or poly/Nylon very easily.I own 2 of which I got from the guide,as well.I recommend this knife for any Kit! RoverOver

#165421 - 01/28/09 05:25 AM Re: Mora Knives [Re: Desperado]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Desperado
Ok, I have more questions.

Or are the prices shown on ragweed old/wrong.

Well the plastic is injection molded, with the mold lines still visible. The blade doesn't have a nice brushed finish, isn't polisched, nor does it has a fancy coating. The back of the knife isn't nicely finished. (take a file and square it of to use with a ferrosium rod).

It's a really basic made knife, which does it's job very well; which is cutting. The thin blade also makes them easier to baton through wood.

and the great things about these knifes, you don't care if the get damaged. (i haven't broke one yet)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.