The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#165515 - 01/28/09 08:56 PM Re: Cyalume lightsticks [Re: scafool]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: scafool
but is it possible to give any you are using as emergency lighting to the kids at Halloween and replace them at that time?

No, it is actually quite impossible.

#165517 - 01/28/09 08:58 PM Re: Cyalume lightsticks [Re: Desperado]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Desperado
I have used chem lights that were way out of date, and the helicopter pilot only asked who had set up the LZ (civilian medevac on the highway). Wanted to know when I was in the air assault business in the past. Seems we had been in the same line of work in the past. He delivered soldiers, I delivered bullets. Notice he didn't complain about brightness????

I'm not fully understanding your meaning. Are you saying that the past-expiry sticks were not as bright?

#165519 - 01/28/09 09:01 PM Re: Cyalume lightsticks [Re: dougwalkabout]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Originally Posted By: ToddW

Also, disposable is nice to toss into caves, or into water etc.

I guess in a genuine emergency, there might be no other choice.

But geez, you guys are killing me with this casual litterbug talk.

Pack it in, pack it out. Pretty, pretty please?

Attached to some paracord for easy non-litterbug retrieval.

#165522 - 01/28/09 09:04 PM Re: Cyalume lightsticks [Re: ]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: Troglodyte007
Originally Posted By: scafool
but is it possible to give any you are using as emergency lighting to the kids at Halloween and replace them at that time?

No, it is actually quite impossible.

Yeah, I sort of suspected that, thanks. wink

#165526 - 01/28/09 09:52 PM Re: Cyalume lightsticks [Re: ]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
One of the big advantages to chemical light sticks has already been touched upon. They are disposable. While planning to never come back and clean up the inactive hulls can be considered littering, tossing out chemical light sticks to areas that need some extra light is a lot more frugal than tossing your Fenix flashlight, Krill lamp, Glo-Toob, or anything else that is battery powered. This is especially true seeing as how there are always situations where there is a chance that you may not be able to come back to get your expensive battery-powered light, you need to light multiple areas (how many Krill lamps do you have?), or you need to actually throw the chemical light stick where you want the light to be (how robust are your Krill lamps?). So, in actuality, chemical light sticks are more than just disposable; they are also robust and inexpensive to obtain multiples of.

Another major advantage to these is that they do not use batteries, i.e., they are intrinsically safe. Think about that when an earthquake hits at night, the power’s out, and you smell natural gas. Wanna light your Krill lamp, Glo-Toob, or even your Fenix up now? Are you sure the battery tube you are holding was ATEX rated?

The conclusion is pretty simple. Chemical light sticks are ubiquitous. They may not be the best option for every particular circumstance, but they definitely have their place. They are kind of like the space blankets of the lighting world, in my opinion.

#165533 - 01/28/09 10:44 PM Re: Cyalume lightsticks [Re: JCWohlschlag]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Ok guys... if I have a few chem lights in my kit in my truck and I need to light up the road so people can see what's going on I can easily toss them on the road, string them up, or do whatever.

When I`m assisting the other persons/vehicle and I happen to forget to pick them up during all the commotion I won't die because I just lot 5xXX$ worth of goods.

And as far as lakes, caves and ponds... it's "FUN" to light up a pond at night with one attached to a fishing line or cord, and the same for caves... nice light for around camp or to mark corners, and occasionally you COULD forget one or two... and again not freak out about losing a high dollar item.

Maybe survival situation using one in water to attract fish (may be illegal in some spots) and you lose it... you didn't just lose your primary source of light (krill, flashlight, etc) for this task.

As I`m sure everyone is aware there are TONS of usages these things have where a normal light you just wouldn't want to use.

Lighting up helo landing area, a mini air strip, a save zone marking the trail, etc.

#165537 - 01/28/09 10:52 PM Re: Cyalume lightsticks [Re: Todd W]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I received a battery operated chem light (not a Krill light-this was a gimmick thingy) that I have used on my S&R team several times. I usually turn it on, and hang it off my pack, so others can see me. Alternately, when I am racked out, I usually hang it above me so people know where I am. This actually serves two purposes; one, they an find me quickly if needed, two, vehicles will (hopefully) not run me over. Although, we dont normally nap in parking lots. But, hey, jst in case....

#165549 - 01/29/09 12:13 AM Re: Cyalume lightsticks [Re: ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Troglodyte007
Originally Posted By: Desperado
I have used chem lights that were way out of date, and the helicopter pilot only asked who had set up the LZ (civilian medevac on the highway). Wanted to know when I was in the air assault business in the past. Seems we had been in the same line of work in the past. He delivered soldiers, I delivered bullets. Notice he didn't complain about brightness????

I'm not fully understanding your meaning. Are you saying that the past-expiry sticks were not as bright?

Think about it. Middle of the night, less than optimal weather. Civilian med-evac helicopter with two pilots. Aircraft commander took the time to get out, walk over and ask "who set up the LZ?".

Obviously, if the pilot of the med-evac took the time to come out and speak to me & thank me for setting the LZ, he had no issue with their brightness.

RIP OBG

#165551 - 01/29/09 12:30 AM Re: Cyalume lightsticks [Re: Desperado]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
So how do you light up a highway for a helicopter?
Those things make a lot of wind and might blow the lights away.

You don't just leave them lying on the road, or do you?

#165553 - 01/29/09 01:02 AM Re: Cyalume lightsticks [Re: scafool]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
No, don't leave anything "Just laying around".

There is a long "to do" list. Generally something left to those that have been trained.

RIP OBG

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 433 Guests and 56 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.