The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#165545 - 01/28/09 11:54 PM Re: Mora Knives [Re: Tjin]
ironbirdexplorer Offline
Stranger

Loc: Canada
I just picked up a TOPS Baghdad Box Cutter. I've been a big fan of neck knives for the past 8-9 years, with the thought that the best survival knife is the one that is with you when you need it. I used to carry an old CRKT Carson F4. It was a nice little knife that attached perfectly to my [Canadian] dog tags. The problem was that it was too light and did not stand up to the abuse I was really starting to give it.

So I started looking for a new neck knife, one that would stand up to the abuse that I was really starting to get into. I put in an order through my local dealer for a Becker Necker by Kabar, but he couldn't get it in for some reason. As a result, he ordered my second choice, the TOPS BBC. The blade length is the same as my old carson F4, but it is a little shorter and quite a bit heavier, but still comfortable around my neck on my dog tags.

The plus side is it is extremely heavy duty; being made out of 1/4" 1095 carbon steel.

I love it!

I also have and use a Canadian Russel (grohman) survival knife and my issue gerber multi-tool.

I'm not overly happy with the sheath that came with the BBC and have been considering making my own leather sheath.

Anybody else got a TOPS BBC? Happy about the sheath?

#165568 - 01/29/09 05:02 AM Re: Mora Knives [Re: Desperado]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Red painted grip model Mora...

#165629 - 01/29/09 06:56 PM Re: Mora Knives [Re: Desperado]
sodak Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Desperado
Ok, I have more questions.

If these are great knives, how are they so inexpensive???

Or are the prices shown on ragweed old/wrong.

The prices are correct. These are good knives for the price. I wouldn't call them great knives. But they are very cheap, and unlike most cheap things, they actually work well. But they are also cheaply made, not a big deal if you aren't expecting high quality. I personally don't like the scandi grind, and believe that a flat grind is much better. YMMV.

They are handy to have around, you can use them for lots of tasks that you wouldn't want to subject a good knife to.

#165633 - 01/29/09 07:31 PM Re: Mora Knives [Re: sodak]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
After reading through this thread, I decided I'd try to polish up my carbon steel Mora. i.e., fix the "rough finish" on it. I actually had to resort to a grinding wheel on my Dremel tool to clean up the sides of the blade. Then lots of sanding with 150 grit sandpaper. I'm not through with that part yet, but next will be 400 grit sandpaper followed by 0000 steel wool.

Would I recommend this? Probably not, unless you just happen to have time and don't mind sanding things. The steel is much shinier now than it was and I'd say the "quality" of the look is about the same as it was originally (just shinier). Maybe after finer sanding and polishing it will look great, but for now it's just "fair" ... same as it was before. I guess this 1095 steel used in the Mora is harder than the alloy they use in the Henry rifle receiver covers. That stuff shined up to a "high polish brushed stainless" look with only a few short minutes of polishing with 0000 steel wool. I can probably get to that polish level with the Mora, but it will take a lot more work.

I would recommend working the spine of the blade however. That was easy to do with a simple file and a little sanding. That part looks MUCH better now - it was very very rough originally.

#165635 - 01/29/09 08:01 PM Re: Mora Knives [Re: haertig]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Quote:
I guess this 1095 steel used in the Mora is harder than the alloy they use in the Henry rifle receiver covers.

No comparison at all. A typical rifle receiver is an alloyed (usually medium carbon steel) quenched and tempered for maximum toughness to about 45 HRc at most. A monosteel, fully hardened Mora blade is over 57 HRc. That makes a big difference in how much more work it takes to polish the surface. On the other hand, a laminated Mora is far easier to polish because the outer layers are very soft low carbon steel.

By the way, a buffing wheel w/ paste works a lot better than steel wool for the final polish. You could use a buffing wheel on your Dremel though a real buffing wheel would produce better results.

#165643 - 01/29/09 09:37 PM Re: Mora Knives [Re: Tom_L]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

What good is a 'good knife' if there are tasks you wouldn't want to subject them to? This is like saving water in your canteen for later while dieing of thirst.

#165652 - 01/29/09 10:16 PM Re: Mora Knives [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Jakam
Unregistered

I agree, Chris, I have a buck and a mora and a bunch of others and they look awful. But still meet the need!

#165764 - 01/30/09 09:07 PM Re: Mora Knives [Re: Tom_L]
jamesraykenney Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Beaumont, TX USA
Originally Posted By: Tom_L
Quote:
I guess this 1095 steel used in the Mora is harder than the alloy they use in the Henry rifle receiver covers.

No comparison at all. A typical rifle receiver is an alloyed (usually medium carbon steel) quenched and tempered for maximum toughness to about 45 HRc at most. A monosteel, fully hardened Mora blade is over 57 HRc. That makes a big difference in how much more work it takes to polish the surface. On the other hand, a laminated Mora is far easier to polish because the outer layers are very soft low carbon steel.

By the way, a buffing wheel w/ paste works a lot better than steel wool for the final polish. You could use a buffing wheel on your Dremel though a real buffing wheel would produce better results.

Just be VERY careful! Most knife makers will tell you that the polishing wheel is the most dangerous power tool that they have. I seem to remember one of the top knife makers commenting that after all these years that it still scared him!
The problem is that it is VERY easy for the wheel to grab on the blade, and then you have a sharp piece of steel flying around at over 100mph!!!

Edited by jamesraykenney (01/30/09 09:09 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#165784 - 01/30/09 11:57 PM Re: Mora Knives [Re: jamesraykenney]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Originally Posted By: jamesraykenney

Just be VERY careful! Most knife makers will tell you that the polishing wheel is the most dangerous power tool that they have. I seem to remember one of the top knife makers commenting that after all these years that it still scared him!
The problem is that it is VERY easy for the wheel to grab on the blade, and then you have a sharp piece of steel flying around at over 100mph!!!

+1 on that, have not thrown a knife with a polishing wheel yet. But i have had more than one thing ripped out of my hands and go flying across the shop.

#165786 - 01/31/09 12:01 AM Re: Mora Knives [Re: RayW]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: RayW
Originally Posted By: jamesraykenney

+1 on that, have not thrown a knife with a polishing wheel yet. But i have had more than one thing ripped out of my hands and go flying across the shop.

Been there, done that, and my work bench has the scar to prove it.

I can say it is a mistake generally only made once.

RIP OBG

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.